The Devil Wears Prada

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Read a book review and it seems that the movie is different from the novel. Which one do you think is better? I watched the movie only. Is it worthy of reading the book as well?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed both! They are quite a bit different - the book could be described as "darker", I suppose.

The character of Andie's best friend, Lily, is much more prominent in the book, and very different to the character in the film. The relationship with her boyfriend is also different.

Definately worth reading!

The ending is a bit different too - Andie's friends & family come over as unsupportive and unreasonable as well (in my opinion, anyway).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of those rare occasions where the film is better than the book.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I'm really, really glad I saw the film first. If I'd read the book first I'd have avoided the film like the plague, which would have been a shame as the film is great fun.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My thoughts exactly.

Another film like that is Legally Blonde
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    how funny - I preferred the book, maybe thats because I read it before seeing the film. I thought it was a decent read, nothing mind blowing, but good all the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the book. Give me 1 week or 2 to read it. I will tell you which ending I like more. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the book - hated the film!!! The relationship with her best friend was central to the whole book yet the film cut it out completely and leaving the film with very little substance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finish reading the book. I am surprised to see so many differences between the movie and the book. If I were to choose which one is better, my criteria will be based on how Andy quits the job and her behavior afterwards. So I like Andy in the movie more. She quits like a winner.

Andy in the book quits like a loser. She loses her temper, and then gets a new job from someone who also hates Miranda. It seems that she enjoys the shared hate very much. She keeps the clothes and resells them for money. I think this Andy is more common, not inspiring enough to me.
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're two completely different stories. I love the film for the visual stuff (it's all about the clothes!) but the book is so much more detail.