Have you changed your buying habit entirely?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you shifted to e-books and e-reader entirely?

Do you think the physical bookshops and books will extinct one day? If so, will you miss them?

I will definitely miss them for many reasons stated in the article below.

No End of Physical Bookshops and Books Please

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only foreseeable problem I can think of is that if the e-reader gets damaged it costs a fair amount to replace. If an old paperback gets damaged then it's just a few quid. Backups of the books on the e-reader (in my case through Amazon) are always available through my account, so even a damaged or lost Kindle won't mean I lose my entire collection. Other than that, I am quite happy to move on to the next technological advancement without too much worry.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have switched. I never thought I would as I love everything about real books but the convenience of a kindle has won me over. I take it everywhere with me and even use it to listen to audiobooks.

The only time I read proper books is in the bath! Too scared of damaging it.

It will cost to replace but I keep a back up of all my books in calibre which I also back up onto a nas drive from my laptop. If my kindle stops working then I will have to fork out for another but it is worth it for me. I am an avid and very quick reader so I spend at least a couple of hours a day with it. I spend more time with my kindle than with my phone or watching telly or my laptop (excluding work stuff).
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tech Lover wrote: »
    Have you shifted to e-books and e-reader entirely?

Do you think the physical bookshops and books will extinct one day? If so, will you miss them?

I will definitely miss them for many reasons stated in the article below.

No End of Physical Bookshops and Books Please
    No, I've been doing what I've done for years and probably will do in the future - I buy my books online in paperback form where they are cheapest.

No intentions whatsoever in buying an e-reader, in the same way as I've no intentions of buying any other digital media storage device.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no plans to switch to an e-reader. I just can't see why I should. That article relates much of what is good about a real book. The only plus I can think of is if I was doing a great deal of travelling in which case an e-reader would save me having to cart a lot of books around.

I just love everything about books. I love old books - if I can I will order a worn old paperback of a book on Amazon for 001p, and hope it comes through slightly yellow and with the old smell. You can't beat a worn but intact old penguin from the 60s or 70s.

So it's nothing to do with nostalgia - I am willing to embrace most new technologies but there are too many people who love real books for them to ever become obsolete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ebooks for me! My OH loes them, and reads all his books on the iPad or his iPhone, but I just cannot get on with them.

I won't buy any books from Amazon - I buy them all from my local independent bookshop. The owners are helpful and friendly, and run lots of local events. I often search for a title on Amazon, take a screenshot on my iPod, and take that into the shop with me. If they don't have it in stock, they will order for you, usually takes 2 days, and give you a call when the book is in.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, nothing can replace the feel, look and smell of a brand new book.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Theres no way I would use a reader rather than hold a book in my hand.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just gave up reading instead. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the Amazon Scrumpy thing, or whatever it's called, on my phone. I don't actually buy anything, because I don't see the point. I've got a few free books on it to read on long journeys. The rendering of the text is quite high quality, which is the only reason I would use it in preference to, say, a web browser.

If I buy a physical book I can read it just about any time I want, I don't have to worry about what happens when change phones and whatnot, and I can loan, or just give, the copy to a friend, or even leave it in a public place for somebody else to pick up and read.

I couldn't do any of those things with an e-book, could I? I mean, technologically most of those things are easy to do, but in practice we have a horrible little thing called digital rights management that effectively hobbles the book and makes it less convenient in some ways than the paper book it replaces.

So I stick to free books that I could get a free copy of any time from just about anywhere.