Options

swapping over from pay as you go to pay monthly....anyone help?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,693
Forum Member
yesterday i bite the bullet and got the blackberry bold 9780 on contract but what to keep my pay as you go number.

the fella in the shop yesterday said i wouldnt be able to do it yesterday as it was half 4 but to ring up 4445 and pick the 3rd option....i did that this morning but there was only 2 options :confused: add to that i didnt know it charged to ring customer services so now i have no money to ring back

i completed the form online on the o2 website about swapping over the number and it said between 1-4 working hours.....does that include sundays?

is that all i need to do or is there more too it?

very confused haha

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it should be fine to do this. You do need to phone into them though. You haven't made clear whether both numbers are with the same network or not.

If they are: phone up from your contract sim and ask them to transfer the number over.

If not: call up your network from your payg sim and request a PAC. then call up new network and supply them with the PAC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Yes it should be fine to do this. You do need to phone into them though. You haven't made clear whether both numbers are with the same network or not.

If they are: phone up from your contract sim and ask them to transfer the number over.

If not: call up your network from your payg sim and request a PAC. then call up new network and supply them with the PAC.

they are both o2 numbers sorry :)

even though ive emailed them and filled out this form:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,Ts=Webforms,T=PreToPost

just looked at the blackberry( new phone with the tempoary number) and at the signal it has sos and in the middle of te screen it says sim not provisioned 2.....is this the swap over occuuring?
  • Options
    markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it would appear the port is taking place, you should be sorted by the end of the day :)

For future reference customer service calls are free from a contract number with o2 and you can even ring from the contract phone to get a pay as you go issue sorted - just choose the option to get help with a number other than the one you are ringing from.

I think you pay 25p per call from a pay as you go phone and given it can take a few calls (I remember when I was trying to change a data bolt on to the Blackberry Bolt on - it took SIX calls!) to get an issue sorted sometimes, it can get a bit expensive!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    markrduk wrote: »
    Yes it would appear the port is taking place, you should be sorted by the end of the day :)

For future reference customer service calls are free from a contract number with o2 and you can even ring from the contract phone to get a pay as you go issue sorted - just choose the option to get help with a number other than the one you are ringing from.

I think you pay 25p per call from a pay as you go phone and given it can take a few calls (I remember when I was trying to change a data bolt on to the Blackberry Bolt on - it took SIX calls!) to get an issue sorted sometimes, it can get a bit expensive!

yes i was on the phone for about least that 2 mins and it was 50p or something.....the pay as you go phone wont let me send messages saying service unavilable so something is defiently happening

thanks very much :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ive made the swap over and thought i was having no problems but now it is charging everyone to text me, even those on O2 12p a text....im afraid now to text incase this is running up some kind of bill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jus worked out that although the guy in the shop told me that once the numbers were swapped over that was me good to go this doesnt seem the case now

just looked at my online bill and it says my payment is being taken out until 7th feburary which is tomorrow(monday) does this mean that the tariff i thought was in place, actually isnt and im going to be out the cost of any texts and internet access i have used today :S god i dont like this contract business and this is my 1st one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, you wouldn't get billed for this months out of allowance usage this month.

The way it works is you basic contract is billed a month in advance, whereas other charges are billed the following month. So if some charges have indeed been made to your account by mistake, they can be negated in time for when your next bill is generated. Even if you actually get charged wrongly for something, if you report the mistake they will take it off the next bill, so you won't be out of pocket in the end.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are saying however:
    daisybee wrote: »
    ive made the swap over and thought i was having no problems but now it is charging everyone to text me, even those on O2 12p a text....im afraid now to text incase this is running up some kind of bill

Why do you think people can text you for free because you are on contract? Your free texts are texts that you send!

How do you know you are being charged extra? Have you checked your unbilled usage? If you are concerned the amount of your bill is more than you expect this is normal for the first bill as it accounts for the period between when you first took out the contract to now, plus the next 30 month in advance. I admit it can all be a bit confusing.

If you are worried something is wrong, just give O2 a call tomorrow I'm sure they'll get it sorted. It might just be a case that the guy in the shop didn't explain it very well to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, you wouldn't get billed for this months out of allowance usage this month.

The way it works is you basic contract is billed a month in advance, whereas other charges are billed the following month. So if some charges have been made to your account my mistake, they can be negated in time for when your next bill is generated. Even if you actually get charged wrongly for something, if you report the mistake they will take it off the next bill, so you won't be out of pocket in the end.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are saying however:

"it is charging everyone to text me"

why do you think people can text you for free because you are on contract? Your free texts are texts that you send![/
    QUOTE]

friends that it was free for them to text me when i was on pay as you go but now that i have moved to contract it is charging them 12p every text

i could understand this if i have swapped network but ive stayed with o2 which they are on. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisybee wrote: »

friends that it was free for them to text me when i was on pay as you go but now that i have moved to contract it is charging them 12p every text

i could understand this if i have swapped network but ive stayed with o2 which they are on. :confused:

This is probably because they had you as part of a family bolt on which they pay £5 a month for and get free calls and texts to you as one of their chosen numbers.

(I'm just guessing this as I can't see any other reason why they would get free texts to you specifically and suddenly start paying for them)

The porting has probably confused the system a bit, so they might need to remove you from their numbers and re-add you. I know it sounds mad but I had the same problem with my broadband discount when I moved to contract. Had to delete the number and re-add to wake the system up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, you didn't get the contract from Phones4U by any chance did you? Sounds like them not to explain the bloody billing system to you properly! Bet they were happy enough to explain their insurance to you in great detail though... am I right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is probably because they had you as part of a family bolt on which they pay £5 a month for and get free calls and texts to you as one of their chosen numbers.

(I'm just guessing this as I can't see any other reason why they would get free texts to you specifically and suddenly start paying for them)

The porting has probably confused the system a bit, so they might need to remove you from their numbers and re-add you. I know it sounds mad but I had the same problem with my broadband discount when I moved to contract. Had to delete the number and re-add to wake the system up.

ano thats what i couldnt understand either.....both just have the pay as you go £15 a month unlimited texts unlimited calls and now cant understand why they are being charged for the texts

it is a strange 1 i will give you that haha

thanks very much for all your help....1st proper day of having this blackberry and im not sure im liking the hassle of it all haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, getting a contract for the first time can be quite a confusing experience - it is a lot to get used to.

I can't figure out why what you're saying would be happening unless one of you (and it only needs to be one of you) is paying the £5 a month bolt on so you all get free texts to each other.

Even then it should still come out of their allowance though, so it does sound very bizarre indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, getting a contract for the first time can be quite a confusing experience - it is a lot to get used to.

I can't figure out why what you're saying would be happening unless one of you (and it only needs to be one of you) is paying the £5 a month bolt on so you all get free texts to each other.

Even then it should still come out of their allowance though, so it does sound very bizarre indeed.

its very annoying indeed.....because one of these friends has no money in there phone but can usually still send texts to me now cant

tried the whole deleting number and re adding and that doesnt work either :confused:

ive emailed o2 about it, im sure this is probably the case for all o2 people that i have on my phone then