Options

EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    given posts like that Koala, it's a bit rich that I get crap like Pedrok's above about being allowed to stay up late.

I'm sure you're not always wrong, but you are if you think Glasgow can only ever literally defined as Glasgow City.

Iain
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    given posts like that Koala, it's a bit rich that I get crap like Pedrok's above about being allowed to stay up late.

I'm sure you're not always wrong, but you are if you think Glasgow can only ever literally defined as Glasgow City.

Iain

Whatever you say............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I get crap like Pedrok's above about being allowed to stay up late.

Iain

Where is this post ? What number ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koala wrote: »
    Whatever you say............

if you have nothing constructive to say, it might be worth thinking twice before you post.

do you genuinely not realise just how childish your last few posts make you sound?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is this post ? What number ?

looks like it's been deleted.

it was after my link to the Glasgow map.

Pedrok made a remark about 'a map posted by someone allowed to stay up late on the internet'.

a bit patronising and disrespecful, don't you think?

(and possibly explains why Pedrok is currently showing as an inactive member.)

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    looks like it's been deleted.

it was after my link to the Glasgow map.

Pedrok made a remark about 'a map posted by someone allowed to stay up late on the internet'.

a bit patronising and disrespecful, don't you think?

(and possibly explains why Pedrok is currently showing as an inactive member.)

Iain

Looks like someone took offence to Pedrock's remark about staying up late, and reported him to the mods, who then deleted his post and gave him a ban. :(

Been there, done it, got the t-shirt :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are the little sad faces meant to convey your sadness that you can't go around being rude, patronising and disrespectful to people?

or do you think that being rude, patronising and disrespectful to people is somehow perfectly acceptable?

Iain
  • Options
    HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone took offence to Pedrock's remark about staying up late, and reported him to the mods, who then deleted his post and gave him a ban. :(

Strange how some can get banned and some don't, the answer seems to be in the use of the alert button, being thick skinned i've had no use for such a remedy, but i would suggest in future, use of said button is going to made anytime there is the sniff of a rude, patronising or disrespectful post.
    Been there, done it, got the t-shirt :(

A bit of a bad habit you have there. :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are the little sad faces meant to convey your sadness that you can't go around being rude, patronising and disrespectful to people?Iain

The little sad faces are because yet another fellow Scot has been banned because of the actions of a thin skinned person living in England.

or do you think that being rude, patronising and disrespectful to people is somehow perfectly acceptable?

I'll leave that to you. You are better at it than I am...

Could this be a ban I hear coming ?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is pretty ridiculous. I am not one of the people who usually write here, but the fact that the description of Paisley as a suburb of Glasgow is being defended is, well, indefensible, and actually quite insulting.

If it's being done just to be stubborn, then fine, that is your issue. But a town of over 70,000 people, which is in the county of Renfrewshire and universally recognised as such, and a town that came close to city status in the last bidding process at the turn of the 2000s, a town where people would be 'from Paisley' and most certainly not 'from Glasgow', a town which uses it's own 'PA' postal code and not 'G', a town with it's own dialling code and own sense of independence, would never be considered a suburb of Glasgow, even if you try and use some spurious 'Greater Glasgow' reasoning. Not everything in the 'Greater Glasgow' area is a suburb. Paisley may be described as a commuter town, or satellite town perhaps, but certainly not a suburb. The mere fact that the other places listed in the BBC report alongside Paisley were actual suburbs of Glasgow is the only demonstration needed, but apparently that's not enough for some on here.

And I don't even have any connection to Paisley. Just imagining how mad the Paisley paper would be by comparison at the suggestion that their town is a 'suburb of Glasgow'.
  • Options
    BMoizBMoiz Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happens everywhere. I'm not from Liverpool, I'm from a town of 60,000 half an hour away in another county with a seperate post code that has never been linked to Liverpool except it's where Liverpudlians were shipped to during WWII.

But people are happy to call it "Liverpool" and you just get over it and accept that people won't understand. I mean, if you have roughly the accent (despite Liverpudlians hate that being said) then you must be from there, no?

/rant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The little sad faces are because yet another fellow Scot has been banned because of the actions of a thin skinned person living in England.

no. Pedrok has only himself to blame for being rude, patronising and disrespectful.

Those were his actions, noone else's.

the fact that you can't even acknowledge or appreciate that speaks volumes.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    This is pretty ridiculous. I am not one of the people who usually write here, but the fact that the description of Paisley as a suburb of Glasgow is being defended is, well, indefensible, and actually quite insulting.

If it's being done just to be stubborn, then fine, that is your issue. But a town of over 70,000 people, which is in the county of Renfrewshire and universally recognised as such, and a town that came close to city status in the last bidding process at the turn of the 2000s, a town where people would be 'from Paisley' and most certainly not 'from Glasgow', a town which uses it's own 'PA' postal code and not 'G', a town with it's own dialling code and own sense of independence, would never be considered a suburb of Glasgow, even if you try and use some spurious 'Greater Glasgow' reasoning. Not everything in the 'Greater Glasgow' area is a suburb. Paisley may be described as a commuter town, or satellite town perhaps, but certainly not a suburb. The mere fact that the other places listed in the BBC report alongside Paisley were actual suburbs of Glasgow is the only demonstration needed, but apparently that's not enough for some on here.

And I don't even have any connection to Paisley. Just imagining how mad the Paisley paper would be by comparison at the suggestion that their town is a 'suburb of Glasgow'.

and yet there's no getting away from the fact that Paisley falls within Greater Glasgow.

and the post codes are a red herring given that there are plenty of G post codes outwith the city of Gladgow.

and until relatively recently the Western Isles had PA post codes.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no. Pedrok has only himself to blame for being rude, patronising and disrespectful.

Those were his actions, noone else's.

Iain

Any idea of how he came to be banned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is pretty ridiculous. I am not one of the people who usually write here, but the fact that the description of Paisley as a suburb of Glasgow is being defended is, well, indefensible, and actually quite insulting..

The mere fact that the other places listed in the BBC report alongside Paisley were actual suburbs of Glasgow is the only demonstration needed, but apparently that's not enough for some on here.

There are some on here, that when you say "white" they will say " black".
    Then they will browbeat you until you agree that they are right and it is " black" after all.

Here's my ban coming now methinks.....
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the BBC ever refer to Bolton as "a suburb of Manchester", I wonder?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

It wasn't me if you were interested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then they will browbeat you until you agree that they are right and it is " black" after all.

Yes, getting that vibe. Quite tragic, but I think I've made pretty clear arguments that Paisley is not a suburb of Glasgow and they haven't been rebutted properly (the postal code is a small example, and even the response doesn't prove that I'm wrong), so I think I can leave now, safe in the knowledge that Paisley is only a suburb of Glasgow if you refuse to listen to anything a rational person tells you.

And being in 'Greater Glasgow' does not make it a suburb, so that point is moot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, getting that vibe. Quite tragic, but I think I've made pretty clear arguments that Paisley is not a suburb of Glasgow and they haven't been rebutted properly (the postal code is a small example, and even the response doesn't prove that I'm wrong), so I think I can leave now, safe in the knowledge that Paisley is only a suburb of Glasgow if you refuse to listen to anything a rational person tells you.

And being in 'Greater Glasgow' does not make it a suburb, so that point is moot.

Do you think that Prestwick is also a suburb of Glasgow??

The airport is called Glasgow Prestwick, so Prestwick too must be a suburb of Glasgow, wouldn't you think ?? ......:rolleyes:

:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Would the BBC ever refer to Bolton as "a suburb of Manchester", I wonder?

Nice to see you back.

As you can see Pedrock has been banned.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

presumably for breaking the T&Cs of the site when he was rude, patronising and disrespectful.

i still have no idea why you have such a problem with this.

i'm not sure if its because you don't agree that was rude, patronising and disrespectful, or if you think its somehow OK to be rude, patronising and disrespectful?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why? i don't think you can get banned for expressing an opinion.

either way, like it or now, Paisley still falls within Greater Glasgow.

Iain
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why? i don't think you can get banned for expressing an opinion.

either way, like it or now, Paisley still falls within Greater Glasgow.

Iain
    Is Bolton a suburb of Manchester.

And, more pertinently, can you provide an example of the BBC referring to it as such?
  • Options
    TodTod Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've removed a few of the disruptive posts from this thread, which last I checked was about discussing EBC and not the report function.