Options

I've just upgraded to a.....

queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
Forum Member
✭✭
HTC Desire HD!:eek:

Never had a HTC, heard good things about them. I really wanted the iPhone 4 but not in a position to afford the £141 at the moment.

Any good/bad comments about it?

Any appreciated :)

ps It arrives on Monday *bites nails*

Comments

• Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    HTC are probably one of the best manufacturers when it comes to android phones, if not the best, and the desire HD does look pretty good from what I've seen of it. What was your previous phone?

I have an iPhone 4 and have been very happy with it but it can be very expensive on some networks or tariffs (cheapest I've seen is 3 who will let you have it for £69 on a £35 two year contract)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Battery life on the Desire HD isn't great, but then the same can be said for most modern smartphones. In terms of hardware, it is one of the most solid, sturdy, and attractive phones out there, plus it's lightning quick. Software-wise, HTC Sense is the only UI layer worth having really, it looks good and doesn't get in the way. Overall, I'd say it's a great choice of phone, possibly even good enough to say that the iPhone premium isn't justified anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    HTC are probably one of the best manufacturers when it comes to android phones, if not the best, and the desire HD does look pretty good from what I've seen of it. What was your previous phone?

I have an iPhone 4 and have been very happy with it but it can be very expensive on some networks or tariffs (cheapest I've seen is 3 who will let you have it for £69 on a £35 two year contract)

Hi Dave :)

I've been to gsmarena, the ratings were good. I currently have BB Curve 8900, which is still ok but I fancy something different and my contract is up next month.

My husband has the iPhone 4 and I love the apps on it. It has the be o2 and it's the only network I love and it works pretty damn good for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Battery life on the Desire HD isn't great, but then the same can be said for most modern smartphones. In terms of hardware, it is one of the most solid, sturdy, and attractive phones out there, plus it's lightning quick. Software-wise, HTC Sense is the only UI layer worth having really, it looks good and doesn't get in the way. Overall, I'd say it's a great choice of phone, possibly even good enough to say that the iPhone premium isn't justified anymore.

Thanks, this is what my husband told me even though he loves his iPhone 4.

I've read good reviews but it's always better to interact with someone on a forum to get their views.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Hi Dave :)

I've been to gsmarena, the ratings were good. I currently have BB Curve 8900, which is still ok but I fancy something different and my contract is up next month.

My husband has the iPhone 4 and I love the apps on it. It has the be o2 and it's the only network I love and it works pretty damn good for me.

My iPhone 4 is on O2 though I'm seriously considering 3 when the next iPhone is released

Only advice with android would be to watch your data use especially if you have a few things set to sync in the background. When I tried android for a few months with the SE X10 my data use sky rocketed from under 100MB a month on my iPhone to over 2GB. I believe blackberry compress data so you may see an increase in your use on android like I did and this may put you over O2's data caps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I just got rid of my iphone to get a HD, and I could never go back. The battery is possibly the only thing that lets it down, but once I got used to the andoid operating system and started to have a fiddle, you start to learn what you can do to save battery drain. Things like having twitter and facebook auto update in the background. Well I turned those off because I tend to load the app to read the updates so the background updating served no purpose. Im now getting decent life out of my battery and I dont think Ill ever consider going back to an iphone. Id say Apple IOS is probably a bit more polished, Android being a bit of a rough diamond, but the HTC Sense theme I think is great, and I like the way you can customise absolutely everything. Ive had it about 4 weeks now and Im still finding new toys to play with and the more I get to know it, the more Im enjoying it.
  • Options
    HardstylerHardstyler Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My iPhone 4 is on O2 though I'm seriously considering 3 when the next iPhone is released

Only advice with android would be to watch your data use especially if you have a few things set to sync in the background. When I tried android for a few months with the SE X10 my data use sky rocketed from under 100MB a month on my iPhone to over 2GB. I believe blackberry compress data so you may see an increase in your use on android like I did and this may put you over O2's data caps

that's why you join giffgaff and don't worry about data or extra charges...;)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »

Yeah but data rates on the O2 network (and therefore on giffgaff) are in general much slower than on 3. Images also get compressed and giffgaff aren't that stable, changing their packages all the time etc. You know 3 won't be doing that regularly.

I've got an HTC HD7 on giffgaff but if the Samsung Omnia 7 on the One Plan with 3 had been cheaper e.g. £25 a month for two years rather than £35, I would have gone with them.

3 also allow tethering and personal hotspots but giffgaff don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member

AFFILIATE LINK REMOVED FROM QUOTE

From what I've read that won't be the case forever as giffgaff are struggling to cope with it

Also the OP has just taken out a new contract on O2 so is unlikely to be in position to switch to a different network
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've read that won't be the case forever as giffgaff are struggling to cope with it

Also the OP has just taken out a new contract on O2 so is unlikely to be in position to switch to a different network

You're right, I wouldn't change to another network Dave. I've been with o2 for years and I wouldn't change them for the world.

I don't what a giffygaffy is, so I doubt very much I would even use it.

Phone comes tomorrow....whoop!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Giffgaff is a virtual network that actually piggybacks onto O2. They only offer a PAYG tariff though. They also pay people for referring others onto their network which a few people seem to think gives them an excuse to spam referral links for giffgaff on discussion forums in breach of the rules for advertising

Their tariffs are good but they are getting hammered by people abusing things like unlimited data so can't see them lasting too much longer without enforcing a fair use policy

I've been with O2 for 3 years but am considering a change when the next iPhone comes out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news - phone arrived!:D

Bad news - I broke a piece trying to get battery cover off! Phone goes back to shop tomorrow!!:o:o:(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I got a Motorola Defy today, but I was thinking about getting a Desire. The assistant showed me his Desire and said that the battery life wasn't very good with the original battery so he brought another one and said that it had a better life than the original battery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get three days out of mine - I just followed the HTC instructions on their support forum.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just want to point out that this isn't normal! I currently have a HTC Hero. I surf the web every day while commuting, use Facebook every hour or so on it and also often download Apps from the Marketplace. Yet I'm on average using about 300MB a month in data.

You either had some app in the background that was always downloading when it shouldn't or were streaming data like an audio/video feed a lot.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I have the desire HD. It is an excellent phone, you wont regret getting the phone.

the HTC Sense UI is pretty good, but there are better ones that you can get. However for this you have to have a rooted phone.

As others have said battery life is a bit poor. You have to charge it every night, when for me is no great hardship - and is probably the norm for all/most smartphones. I do get a full days use out if it though. You can also download apps that will save battery life.

Remember when you get the phone, you go through several full charge to full discharge cycles. Do this around 7 times, and you will see the battery life increase.

Bad luck with breaking it, not ideal -- Get the husband to change the battery next time ;):p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I have the desire HD. It is an excellent phone, you wont regret getting the phone.

the HTC Sense UI is pretty good, but there are better ones that you can get. However for this you have to have a rooted phone.

As others have said battery life is a bit poor. You have to charge it every night, when for me is no great hardship - and is probably the norm for all/most smartphones. I do get a full days use out if it though. You can also download apps that will save battery life.

Remember when you get the phone, you go through several full charge to full discharge cycles. Do this around 7 times, and you will see the battery life increase.

Bad luck with breaking it, not ideal -- Get the husband to change the battery next time ;):p:D
    Thanks for full charge tip, will do :)

There's a little metal strip next to the battery flap, it slipped out, I slipped it back in, and I kind of bent to hard hard and it snapped in half!:o

Anyway, got another new phone, my brain is a bit frazzled to figure it all out but it is exciting!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    3 is better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to get the HTC Desire HD on 3. THeir One Plan seems very good value and it's currently £106 cashback with Quidco! I need desperately to get rid of this god awful Nokia N97mini. I am sorely tempted to get the 3 one now, even though I still have 1 month on vodafone contract.

The battery life reviews have put me off the HD but as someone said above. you can get more life out of it by following some usage advices....

someone make my mind up for me and tell me what to do! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saishoyw wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get the HTC Desire HD on 3. THeir One Plan seems very good value and it's currently £106 cashback with Quidco! I need desperately to get rid of this god awful Nokia N97mini. I am sorely tempted to get the 3 one now, even though I still have 1 month on vodafone contract.

The battery life reviews have put me off the HD but as someone said above. you can get more life out of it by following some usage advices....

I don't know about the battery life yet....but it's a beautiful, wonderful phone so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I just want to point out that this isn't normal! I currently have a HTC Hero. I surf the web every day while commuting, use Facebook every hour or so on it and also often download Apps from the Marketplace. Yet I'm on average using about 300MB a month in data.

You either had some app in the background that was always downloading when it shouldn't or were streaming data like an audio/video feed a lot.

No streaming (or very minimal - think I may have watched a game trailer on YouTube once). I think the main culprit may have been the timescape app that was part of Sony Ericsson's UI which background polled email, Facebook and twitter and did it in addition to any other apps which also accessed those services

Plus if I recall correctly the wifi had a tendency to sleep when the phone was sleeping even if I told it not to meaning a lot of the background stuff like email was being done over 3G even when in range of my home wifi

These are exclusively issues with the X10 which certainly wasn't the greatest android phone ever released though but I have heard of people having increased data use with other phones running android
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Saishoyw wrote: »

If you have wifi at home and/or at work...make sure you use them. The phone can be setup so that if it finds a wifi connection it will use that instead of the operator network (3G). Anything downloaded on a wifi will not count against your usage allowance.

You can also get apps, that once you hit your internet allowance, it will disable the 3G network, thus ensuring you never go over. The apps will then re-enable the 3G network once your new billing month starts.
  • Options
    ram jamram jam Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    3 is better

i thought that Untill they turned 2g off and left me with no signal at work or on 50% of my journey to and from work :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    ram jam wrote: »
    i thought that Untill they turned 2g off and left me with no signal at work or on 50% of my journey to and from work :eek:
    Move house then or find a different job
  • Options
    cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    Move house then or find a different job

o.O
    What is this... I don't even...