Options

market.android.com is going to be great

cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://market.android.com./

Has just opened today (2nd feb 2011)and although the initial log in is a bit finicky. The simplicity of over the air installs on you Android mobile phone makes using itunes seems like a relic of the past.

Comments

• Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks very nice, though I think the top advert banner is too big.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not loading for me. Maybe too busy?
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It loads fine for me.
  • Options
    _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are folks getting "The page you requested is invalid." when they try to sign in?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    _Ash_ wrote: »
    Are folks getting "The page you requested is invalid." when they try to sign in?
    Yes, I am :confused:

Edit

Not now. :)
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very impressed with this. It's now so simple to find and browse apps compared to before and the over the air installs is a really good feature. Was amazed at how well it actually works. Just sign into the site with my Google account and click on install, 30 seconds later my phone is downloading the app without me having to plug it in or turn some feature on. Brilliant.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Yep got in fine, its all very slick...maybe to slick. I installed an app from the web market, and it installed onto my phone. I was expected something in the status bar to say the app has installed. But got nothing...personally I would like some acknowledgement on the phone to say the app has installed.

Apart from that, this feature was long overdue. I wonder what will happen to appbrain. Its largely now superfluous. Although it does have some neat features, like being able to see what apps friends have installed.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Ash_ wrote: »

Yes. How did you solve it?
  • Options
    ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Yep got in fine, its all very slick...maybe to slick. I installed an app from the web market, and it installed onto my phone. I was expected something in the status bar to say the app has installed. But got nothing...personally I would like some acknowledgement on the phone to say the app has installed.

You should get a notification on the phone when it's downloading, installing and once it's finished installing, in the same way as you do so when you install via the Market app on the phone. I certainly did when I used it, and the demonstration from Google themselves said this should also be the case.
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Yes. How did you solve it?

I had this message when using Google Chrome, I changed to Opera and it worked fine, also the phone you use will have to have the same google email login as the login on the PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can connect to the market using IE8 and log in but when I try to install an app my phone isn't shown :confused:
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    You should get a notification on the phone when it's downloading, installing and once it's finished installing, in the same way as you do so when you install via the Market app on the phone. I certainly did when I used it, and the demonstration from Google themselves said this should also be the case.

just tried it again, and your right you do get a notification. Not sure how I missed this the first time round..I specifically looked for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    At first I tried to download via the QR code shown but all that did was take my mobile to the exact same page I had open on my laptop.

Next I hit install and signed in to Google although I got a message saying the site wasn't safe and I shouldn't go there! Carried on with and it downloaded fine onto my phone but on my laptop it showed as http in red as opposed to https in green. Anyone else notice that?
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Ooooo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good move and something that should have happened a long time ago, it's still a shame that there are few options for purchasing apps though. Can only hope that improves greatly in the not to distant future.

Strangely the when I loaded up the site in Firefox my first thought was " Why does it look so much like the official Xbox.com website!? ".

Regarding the sign in issues, other's have the same problem. Have a quint at this link (specifically the comments:

http://androidandme.com/2011/02/news/android-market-is-now-fully-accessible-from-the-web/

Key part of the article being :
    Right now you can view the Market, but so far we haven’t had any luck signing in to actually download anything so again we’ll be following up later with a thorough tour of the new Market
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    campioni06 wrote: »
    on my laptop it showed as http in red as opposed to https in green. Anyone else notice that?

Yeah. They are using a certificate from google.com which doesn't match with the store URL. Not sure why, it seems a bit amateurish for Google!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    goomba wrote: »
    Yeah. They are using a certificate from google.com which doesn't match with the store URL. Not sure why, it seems a bit amateurish for Google!

It's also odd that, for me, it doesn't work using Google Chrome or SR Iron but does using IE. :confused:
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting development today. Some Android users with custom ROMs on their phones are finding they can't download anything from the store, even if they've successfully downloaded stuff directly on the phone.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the apps still need to be flagged by the manufacturer.
    I guess operating systems ahead are going to have to learn impersonate another phone to get some apps.