BBC Alba vs BBC Radio on Freeview

rip & striprip & strip Posts: 433
Forum Member
Who actually decided this? I doubt that this has enhanced BBC Alba audiences (beyond the cynical soccer rights) so who is really in favour of cutting all BBC Radio stations in favour of a frankly wanky language?

Comments

• Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Who actually decided this?
    Welcome to the website for the Audience Council Scotland.

"If you'd like to get in touch with the Audience Council, please fill in our online contact form with your question or comment."
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and it is all in the PVT on BBC Alba - and there was lots of consultation see http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/pvt/bbc_alba.shtml

from BBC Pres release
    The Trust has approved the BBC Executive's proposal to remove the BBC's thirteen radio stations from Freeview, in Scotland only, during the hours BBC ALBA is broadcasting, as the most technically and financially viable way of enabling BBC ALBA to be carried on Freeview.

On Freeview carriage, the BBC Executive explored and ruled out a range of possibilities for making BBC ALBA more widely available. For example, buying spectrum was ruled out due to the prohibitive cost. The removal of a red button stream or BBC Parliament from Freeview was also ruled out due to the likely loss of significant public value. Distributing BBC ALBA on broadband as an alternative to Freeview was ruled out due to relatively low broadband take-up and slow broadband speeds in Scotland, particularly in the Highlands and Islands.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have complained about this so many times I'm sure my emails now go straight to their trash folder! And not once have I got a reply!
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely around Dunfermline and Edinburgh there'll be adequate DAB reception? Whilst not ideal, I'd much prefer to see public service broadcasting TV services on the DTT platform than radio. And I am pretty sure that the people whom speak Gaelic in Scotland also pay a licence fee and are entitled to their own service in their own language as the Welsh have. As the German Italians have in Northern Italy. As many PSB broadcasters around the world do.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I am pretty sure that the people whom speak Gaelic in Scotland also pay a licence fee and are entitled to their own service in their own language as the Welsh have.

But the Welsh channel S4C is a commercial broadcaster, subsidised by money from the DCMS, and provided with some programmes by the BBC.

Surely as a matter of fairness, BBC Alba should be funded in the same way, and cease to be a BBC channel.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,780
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    But the Welsh channel S4C is a commercial broadcaster, subsidised by money from the DCMS, and provided with some programmes by the BBC.

Surely as a matter of fairness, BBC Alba should be funded in the same way, and cease to be a BBC channel.

The BBC are taking over the funding of S4C
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC ALBA is co-funded by the Scottish Government and the Gaelic arts organisation. Apart form DAB, BBC Radio is available on superior FM and the platform is called freeVIEW not freeLISTEN!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC ALBA is co-funded by the Scottish Government and the Gaelic arts organisation. Apart form DAB, BBC Radio is available on superior FM and the platform is called freeVIEW not freeLISTEN!:cool:

Actually BBC Alba is funded by MG Alba, which is financed by the Scottish Government, and BBC Scotland.

The BBC currently spends £3.2 million on radio content and £2.1 million for TV and online. The BBC contributes an additional £2.5 million to the station.

So, the BBC provides £7.7m to BBC Alba.

There are plans afoot to transfer funding of S4/C to the BBC, but they haven't taken place yet. It is currently funded by commercials, and the DCMS, and that is exactly the same way Alba should be funded.

It might be called freeVIEW, but it has carried digital radio channels since it's inception (as Ondigital) and the BBC have been actively promoting it as a method for listening to their radio stations for many years, the jingle on radio 2 says "Online, on digital, and on 88 to 91FM" it doesn't mention except in Scotland after 7pm!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Actually BBC Alba is funded by MG Alba, which is financed by the Scottish Government, and BBC Scotland.

The BBC currently spends £3.2 million on radio content and £2.1 million for TV and online. The BBC contributes an additional £2.5 million to the station.

So, the BBC provides £7.7m to BBC Alba.

There are plans afoot to transfer funding of S4/C to the BBC, but they haven't taken place yet. It is currently funded by commercials, and the DCMS, and that is exactly the same way Alba should be funded.

It might be called freeVIEW, but it has carried digital radio channels since it's inception (as Ondigital) and the BBC have been actively promoting it as a method for listening to their radio stations for many years, the jingle on radio 2 says "Online, on digital, and on 88 to 91FM" it doesn't mention except in Scotland after 7pm!

Digital.......radio?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a better solution will have to be found as even Radio nan Gàidheal (scots gaelic radio) goes offline when bbc Alba comes on .... apart from internet, freeview gives the only decent radio reception for me at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    Digital.......radio?

They don't specify radio, they just use the word digital, to convey the message it is on all digital platforms, DAB, Digital satellite TV, and Digital Terrestrial TV....

unless you live in Scotland...
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you listen they now say "on line, on digital radio and on 92 to 95 FM...."
  • Wilson FraserWilson Fraser Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I also companied about this and got the same reply about the BBC trust having approved this stupid idea. How many people speak or care about Gaelic? They can watch on Sky if they must and for free (after setting up the receiver). Give me back the BBC radio stations any day. I am Scottish but I’m sorry to say English is our language.
    Someone mentioned the German Italians but do they have to do without other services to hear some German. The Welsh wanted S4C and still got most of Channel 4 even before the digital change over. Now they get both. We only get BBC Alba OR BBC radio.
    Wake up BBC and change this back to how it was.
    :mad:
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    I have complained about this so many times I'm sure my emails now go straight to their trash folder! And not once have I got a reply!

Have you tried contacting big Alex over this because I'm sure the Scottish govt had a say in it somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned the German Italians but do they have to do without other services to hear some German.
    Yes, a terrestrial channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...so who is really in favour of cutting all BBC Radio stations in favour of a frankly wanky language?
    A frankly wanky language?

Does your mummy know you're using her computer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting big Alex over this because I'm sure the Scottish govt had a say in it somewhere.

I work for the SG, and complaining to FB, sorry, FM, would do no good. He's too keen on keeping then up North onside to bother with anyone from Central Scotland!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you listen they now say "on line, on digital radio and on 92 to 95 FM...."

Not on Radio 2 they don't!
    How many people speak or care about Gaelic?

According to official Scottish Government figures, 58,000 people speak Gaelic.... (That is about the population of Livingstone, or 1/10th the population of Glasgow)

The number of those who care about it may be higher... but I doubt it.
  • astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because it's not in English doesn't mean the rest of us can't watch it. Almost everything is subtitled.
    It's nice to have a channel with high quality documentaries made in Scotland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    BBC Alba and S4C should receive no government money at all, if people who speak those languages want a channel then they should fund it themselves. There is no real value in these channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    BBC Alba and S4C should receive no government money at all, if people who speak those languages want a channel then they should fund it themselves. There is no real value in these channels.
    What about deaf people? Or cultural and minority programmes?

BBC Alba and S4C are exactly the sort of thing that should be funded by the public! It's called Public Service Broadcasting and is repeated around the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, but what about those of us who want to listen to the radio in OUR language when this is pandering to a minority who probably aren't even watching it??
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    Fair enough, but what about those of us who want to listen to the radio in OUR language when this is pandering to a minority who probably aren't even watching it??

use a radio to listen to it.
    you're not being deprived of the radio completely, just on a platform that is built for TV.

IMO, preference should always be given to TV channels over radio on Freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    What about deaf people? Or cultural and minority programmes?

BBC Alba and S4C are exactly the sort of thing that should be funded by the public! It's called Public Service Broadcasting and is repeated around the world.

Its not like the people who watch don't speak English, your deaf analogy just isn't true. That's the issue there is no value to the public from these services. They cost a lot of money when we are promoting languages where no one is a not a speaker of English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The national language of both England and Scotland is English, it would make economical sense to scrap funding for both of them, as they have little (if any) relevance to society, the same with bilingual road signs.