Can i connect my new gas cooker myself IS IT LEGAL

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rd100 wrote: »
    Are you sure as i was told my the gas fitter who installed the socket before i moved in to the house that it is one of the new bayonet fittings and all i need to do is push and turn the flex pipe in to the socket as it is one of the new type sockets,

I just want to be on the safe side
    It's easy to fit, as you know, but if you wish to be up-front legally and for your own safety/peace of mind; get a registered "Corgi" fitter to give it the nod. Good luck.
    Dave.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to fit, as you know, but if you wish to be up-front legally and for your own safety/peace of mind; get a registered "Corgi" fitter to give it the nod. Good luck.
    Dave.
    It cant be that easy as nobody on here seems to know how to do it properly or especially how to test for leaks.
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    It cant be that easy as nobody on here seems to know how to do it properly or especially how to test for leaks.
    Yes, some replies confusing talking about PTFE tape and fairy liquid.

A bayonet fitting does not need PTFE tape! It is just like a light bulb fitting, push in and turn.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Soapy water is a banned substance for gas engineers as it is corrosive to the pipe and fittings also gas fitters have to do a pressure test as putting a non corrosive leak test fluid on the pipe isnt going to tell you if the cooker has an internal leak of if it has the more common fault of a puncture in the hose.

Leak test fluids are to search for leaks found on a pressure test, not to see if there might be one after installing an appliance.

Yes, the people who fitted my hob had proper equipment for testing and no soap.