Options

Channel 5HD Farce

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
Forum Member
Months and months go by with NO solution for those who, like me, pay almost £70 a month for supposedly all of Sky's channels (HD included) and still cannot receive any HD channels on TP29 with an FEC of 29500...this just does not exist as a menu option.
I originally paid for a call-out, only to be told that everything, from the LNB to the RX was perfect...BUT "if you don't got 29500, you don't got no channel......so call Sky technical, if such a department actually does exist and tell them!!"
Yeah right, like I've got 4 weeks of my life and the money to spare, to be waiting on the phone to talk (if I'm lucky) to someone who has in front of him, (or her) prepared scripts which he or she is ordered NOT to depart from under any circumstance for fear of loosing their job,
Although I still have months to go with my contract I have been advised by a colleague who works in our legal department that this situation does constitute a breach of contract on Sky's part, so I could simply say bye bye without any problems.
The thing is, I like having the choice that Sky offers, but what I don't appreciate is their cavalier attitude toward their customers.
So....Sky.... own up to the existence of this problem AND tell us how and when you intend to fix it.....NOW
ARE YOU LISTENING!!

Comments

• Options
    SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any reason you are having to tune it in, rather than use the EPG number?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    So what happens when you try tuning into EPG 140, 143, 171 or 178?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Sky boxes can manually tune 29,500. Sky have deliberately avoided enabling this, presumably to prevent access to the testing that HD channels do prior to launch.

Most other HD boxes can manually tune this.

However, virtually all HD channels use 29,500 when they operate and all Sky boxes can actually access it when on the EPG - just not tune it in manually.

So if your EPG has any HD channels on it then it is not unable to access 29,500 just unable to manually add that number like every other Sky HD box.

IOW the installer who came out seems not to know the job too well.

There seems to be an issue over the transponder thaty Five HD and ESPN America HD are on where certain boxes are struggling with just these channels.

But it cannot be to do with the boxes inabillity to access 29,500 if the other HD channels are fine.

I think the OP is aware of this and quite rightly asking why Sky have not acted as it is clear from threads on the net that quite a few Sky HD paying customers have been denied access just to this one transponder and the recent HD channels added to it,

Frankly Sky should either swap their boxes (if this is a box specific problem) or reduce their subs in compensation until they find out why the problem is ongoing - but Sky appear instead to be in denial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sirius wrote: »
    Is there any reason you are having to tune it in, rather than use the EPG number?
    I don't tune it in. When I try to access C5HD, SPNHD, ESPN AmericaHD from the EPG listing, I get "No satellite signal received"........not just me, or even a handfull of paying customers.....LOTS and it would appear that 'good 'ol' Sky (once again) just sticks it corporate head in the sand and even refuses to acknowledge this as a problem....this attitude also insults my intelligence as a member of the Broadcasting community.
  • Options
    nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    When was the last fallout you received??

Missing an individual transponder is normally caused by either interference on the specific frequency although transponder 29 should not be affected by this. It can also be caused by mis aligned dish, cable clips fastened too tight or damage or faults on the cable/LNB

I would suggest you arrange another visit (should be free if you are in contract) and get them to rip EVERYTHING out and re-install the cable and dish, if that doesn't work then maybe a new box may help!
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree. If your in warranty then a free call out is mandatory and I would have the cabling and lnb changed as a bare minimum. I personally have not had this problem and neither have friends or family, but I haven't seen it on new installs or service calls either. I would definately get a return visit arranged asap. What make box do you have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, what happens if you try and view either Sky News HD or Hallmark HD, they are also Horizontal High Band Channels. Can you view these ok?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do yourself a favour and get an established engineer out, 99% of Sky and VM engineers are morons and you'll just be wasting your time..

You need someone to get a decent meter on the feed and check the problem transponder. If the Dish/LNB checks out ok (which it probably will), then you can contact Sky and get them to change out the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pangaea wrote: »
    Months and months go by with NO solution for those who, like me, pay almost £70 a month for supposedly all of Sky's channels (HD included) and still cannot receive any HD channels on TP29 with an FEC of 29500...this just does not exist as a menu option.
    I originally paid for a call-out, only to be told that everything, from the LNB to the RX was perfect...BUT "if you don't got 29500, you don't got no channel......so call Sky technical, if such a department actually does exist and tell them!!"
    Yeah right, like I've got 4 weeks of my life and the money to spare, to be waiting on the phone to talk (if I'm lucky) to someone who has in front of him, (or her) prepared scripts which he or she is ordered NOT to depart from under any circumstance for fear of loosing their job,
    Although I still have months to go with my contract I have been advised by a colleague who works in our legal department that this situation does constitute a breach of contract on Sky's part, so I could simply say bye bye without any problems.
    The thing is, I like having the choice that Sky offers, but what I don't appreciate is their cavalier attitude toward their customers.
    So....Sky.... own up to the existence of this problem AND tell us how and when you intend to fix it.....NOW
    ARE YOU LISTENING!!

The problem isn't as widespread as you would like to believe. If it was a major issue believe me we would all know about it. As I posted earlier I have yet to see this problem on any box old or new, even thomsons (even though they lose other channels for obvious reasons). Have you tried your box on a friends dish and cable or vice-versa?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    coolguy121 wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and get an established engineer out, 99% of Sky and VM engineers are morons and you'll just be wasting your time..

You need someone to get a decent meter on the feed and check the problem transponder. If the Dish/LNB checks out ok (which it probably will), then you can contact Sky and get them to change out the box.

Woahh! Hold n. There for a minute, I was a sky installer and I can guarantee that I am not a moron! Neither are the guys that I have trained over the years!

There are also a lot of good, well informed and professional sky people on here who would take great offence to your opinions there!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would obviously exclude engineers that have worked (as engineers) BEFORE being employed by Sky.

You can tell the difference as those understand how to setup a polar mount..

EDIT:
    I should add my opinion is based on numerous VM/Sky engineers taking one look at my motorsied and inclined orbit tracking setups with a look of utter confusion..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolguy121 wrote: »

Steady on fella, no need for that. I pride myself on the quality of my work and that of those I have trained over the years. We are trying to offer advice here and your rant is neither helpful or warranted.
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try reinstalling the dish.

You have go to settings and press 0, select and then select "New Install". When my box was showing No signal for all channels, doing that fixed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for all your responses.
    I had the company who originally installed the system come back and do an entire systems check for me. (I know the company and am a personal friend of the owner)
    They replaced the dish/LNB did a full test of the cabling (only been in for two years) and using an expensive meter went through all channels. I own a 3 story Victorian property so it was a lot of high roofwork to accomplish some of the tests.
    We have 100% signal and around 85% quality!?
    Am I to assume that Sky NewsHD and Hallmark HD, both using some the the higher frequencies, both also use 29500 FEC?
    Don't really want to request a new RX until we somehow find out that it IS the box that's at fault.
    We have quite a few recordings still unwatched.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pangaea wrote: »
    Many thanks for all your responses.
    I had the company who originally installed the system come back and do an entire systems check for me. (I know the company and am a personal friend of the owner)
    They replaced the dish/LNB did a full test of the cabling (only been in for two years) and using an expensive meter went through all channels. I own a 3 story Victorian property so it was a lot of high roofwork to accomplish some of the tests.
    We have 100% signal and around 85% quality!?
    Am I to assume that Sky NewsHD and Hallmark HD, both using some the the higher frequencies, both also use 29500 FEC?
    Don't really want to request a new RX until we somehow find out that it IS the box that's at fault.
    We have quite a few recordings still unwatched.
    Surely when they checked your system they tried swapping out the receiver too? In your situation it would be the simplest & obvious first test to try. You should have a word with your 'personal friend' & tell him that you are not satisfied with the troubleshooting abilities of his 'engineers'.