Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    The stretch between Bulwick and Fineshades on the A43 has always been ex Orange EDGE, I'm surprised this 3G coverage hole hasn't been plugged sooner considering its a busy route.

That's the only stretch I ever really had any issue with on EE... that said Weldon has always been pretty poor too but since selling my house there I haven't really been too bothered about that!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone in the London area having signal problems today? My signal keeps showing two bars and has been showing "No Service" or "Searching"
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    The MBNL site just north of Ellon has come online in the past 48 hours, meaning Ellon is better covered than by the mast near Foveran which came on at the weekend.

I tested the Foveran mast last night and got 45mbps down and 35 mbps up... Not bad!

I think I'm on a single-speed tariff, but I'm not sure as I signed up before they changed them all.

Now... Just Old Aberdeen (Northern Hotel or MacRobert), Methlick, Pitmedden and the one near Balmedie and I'll be happy ;-).

Oh and fix Udny Green. Please. Put the 2G back on. Anything.

This is good to hear. I'm not sure why Northern hasn't been activated already.. It was meant to be by end of Summer! Those villages listed should be done in the next 6 months.. Udny being a separate issue.

Get yourself one of the free Sims to test Double speeds ;)

I'll be up shortly and add some 4G blobs to the Root Metrics maps (all networks)
    Shame Three is sticking to just two masts so far!
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is good to hear. I'm not sure why Northern hasn't been activated already.. It was meant to be by end of Summer! Those villages listed should be done in the next 6 months.. Udny being a separate issue.

I'll be up shortly and add some 4G blobs to the Root Metrics maps (all networks)

I'm out of my minimum term - so I can presumably upgrade to a double speed tariff now. Will see if there are any that are reasonably priced....

What is the issue in Udny? Fault? Mast Removed?
  • Options
    sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    surprised no one has been in worcester in the last 2 weeks since ee maps showing new 4g(rm map).
    done a few seed tests outside worcester hospital and avg'ed 57mb, via speedtest.net, and rootmetrics. left it testing on rm when i left H for home.
  • Options
    David_JohnsDavid_Johns Posts: 25
    Forum Member

Any news on old meldrum or fyvie? I live in quite a rural area and used to get 9meg 3G speed but seems to have dropped to about 2 recently. Which is already much fast than my home broadband!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any news on old meldrum or fyvie? I live in quite a rural area and used to get 9meg 3G speed but seems to have dropped to about 2 recently. Which is already much fast than my home broadband!

Should be by end of Q1 2015.. But you should be seeing it on the fringes of Oldmeldrum just now.

I'm keeping my eye on Oldmeldrum as I have family there ;)
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Orangy wrote: »
    DevonBloke, will we still see such interesting and prolific contributions to this thread from you once you get great 4G signal and service in your neck of the woods?

I hope so.
    I still get a little drunk sometimes as it helps me deal with all the shite that hit the very large fan in 2012.
    This forum is a bit of an escape. So if some of my posts seem, I don't know, a bit over the top, just ignore them, I've probably had a few! : )
    I do feel I have real friends here though, even though I've never met any of you.
    So thanks for being there, even if you didn't know you were helping. : )
    Lucan, you young whipper-snapper, my bloody mast is STILL on 300Kbps!!!
    Thought 4G might be this Friday, but no.....
    WTF????
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I hope so.
    I still get a little drunk sometimes as it helps me deal with all the shite that hit the very large fan in 2012.
    This forum is a bit of an escape. So if some of my posts seem, I don't know, a bit over the top, just ignore them, I've probably had a few! : )
    I do feel I have real friends here though, even though I've never met any of you.
    So thanks for being there, even if you didn't know you were helping. : )

This is how I Imagine we'll meet in person.
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/digital-spy_zpsnoznypsx.gif

Original for reference:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wvODC447cO0/TgPt85TpgiI/AAAAAAAAEms/H1qHauRl__E/simpsons-gifs-18.gif
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lucan, you young whipper-snapper, my bloody mast is STILL on 300Kbps!!!
    Thought 4G might be this Friday, but no.....
    WTF????

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/26/26729d646db241b8756c651ca1cad2b6d566b21b2ee0638080e06547ee1d3108.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is true but I'm not happy now.
    My business suffering and not funny.
    What the hell is going on? ??
    I have tested this from all angles and it's only those two masts.
    All others are ok but these two are fine for voice but data is ALWAYS 300 - 370 Kbps.
    Do they know about this?
    Surely they monitor data traffic per mast?
    They would clearly see a massively reduced data throughput on these two??
    I can't believe they don't know about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Double Post, my bad. Using a Vodafone works phone today... No reception. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe they are working on it. As well as other masts in area which might be the root of your woes. ie your seeing the crappy legacy backhaul as the relay link is down. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that is what you are seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe they are working on it. As well as other masts in area which might be the root of your woes. ie your seeing the crappy legacy backhaul as the relay link is down. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that is what you are seeing.

That actually would be a good explanation. Thank you.
    In fact now you mention it it's doing about the same speed and latency as the legacy Orange 3G mast looking over Totnes was before they did something to it the other day.
    Would they leave it like this for 3 - 4 weeks though?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm now 99.9999999999999999% sure you were correct.
    Every test I did was exactly (and I mean exactly) 0.380Mbps. The exact same on both masts.

GOOD NEWS!!!! The relay is back up tonight (still down this morning).
    Tested 21.2Mbps from my mast tonight.
    Just about to switch the b593 on and see what that gets with it's 1 bar -99dBm signal....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm now 99.9999999999999999% sure you were correct.
    Every test I did was exactly (and I mean exactly) 0.380Mbps. The exact same on both masts.

GOOD NEWS!!!! The relay is back up tonight (still down this morning).
    Tested 21.2Mbps from my mast tonight.
    Just about to switch the b593 on and see what that gets with it's 1 bar -99dBm signal....

Rubbish for data but more than plenty for the areas voice & texts. So is it 4g or just DC?

I'm of the thinking that they won't have activated 4G until the link was fixed/upgraded.. So.. Anytime now?!
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    First or second Friday in January now probably due to the technology "change freeze" that's about to start
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First or second Friday in January now probably due to the technology "change freeze" that's about to start

That's what I was thinking.. If it wasn't last week it wasn't going to be this year but.. Stranger things happened last year.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    It ain't gonna happen this side of the new year, that's guaranteed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, look, you can't do that cryptic "change freeze" shit on me mate!!
    W T F does that actually mean??????
    Lucan, yes, still DC. No 4G. But clearly since it was off for nearly 2 months, something has been done somewhere.

EDIT: Note for Plymouth, this affected both the Marley Head mast and the Wrangaton (South Brent) Mast. NO other masts were affected at all. These have both been on EXACTLY 0.380Mbps for ages. Now, back to normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It ain't gonna happen this side of the new year, that's guaranteed...

If it comes on this Friday, you are buying the first pint!!
    : )
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, look, you can't do that cryptic "change freeze" shit on me mate!!
    W T F does that actually mean??????
    Lucan, yes, still DC. No 4G. But clearly since it was off for nearly 2 months, something has been done somewhere.

Presumably like some other major services, they won't do any network changes or upgrades around Christmas and New Year as there is reduced support if it breaks or doesn't work as intended, and it's a time where people probably depend a bit more on the service than usual (if travelling etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Presumably like some other major services, they won't do any network changes or upgrades around Christmas and New Year as there is reduced support if it breaks or doesn't work as intended, and it's a time where people probably depend a bit more on the service than usual (if travelling etc)

Ahh, yes, if I wasn't so raving drunk (only joking) I could have worked that out.
    Thank you.
    Makes sense though, they have got the speed back up before Christmas. Probably leave it now till after.
    Yep, that's what I would do. Can't argue with that!
    : )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »

EE 4G was launched in NI on Christmas Eve... As I said though it's highly unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.