Options

New York Hotels

GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm hoping to go to New York next year. I've been before but the accommodation was arranged for me. I feel perfectly able to book hotels in this country, but once it involves going on a plane and/or changing money, I feel like I'm bound to end up in some flea-infested pit in the dodgiest neighbourhood going!

So has anyone got any recommendations of hotels in the Manhattan district? I'm thinking of a similar standard/price to Travelodges and Premier Inns in this country, preferably as near to all the sights and sounds as possible. Not that I'm hard to please or anything.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed twice at the Comfort Inn Manhattan on West 35th St. It was a perfectly suitable hotel just round the corner from the Empire State Building. It was clean and safe and in a decent neighbourhood, very near 5th Avenue and so on, and had a nice breakfast, and the staff were really helpful and friendly.

I also stayed at a hotel further downtown, the 30 30 (on 30th) which was not as nice - fab foyer but very tiny rooms even by New York standards and very hot too, and the staff weren't great. It was fine, but I wouldn't stay there again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    We ended up staying in four different hotels in NY while stuck there due to the volcano earlier in the year. They were the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, Candlewood Suites Times Square, Holiday Inn Express 5th Avenue and the Staybridge Suites Times Square. The only one I wouldn't recommend was the Candlewood Suites as the room smelled awful and was quite dirty. The other three I wouldn't have a problem staying in again with the Staybridge Suites just topping the bill purely down to all the rooms having a little kitchenette so you can stay in and cook to save money.

It's worth researching any hotels on Trip Advisor before you book as the reviews on there tend to be spot on - we didn't have chance to look up the candlewood suites before we book as if we had we probably would have avoided them.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    I'v stayed at The Westin times square and Doubletree Guest Suites right in the middle of times sq , id reccomend both but the westin is a bit more pricey
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stayed at the Paramount first time we went over, which is just off Times Square, and the the Radio City Apartments the following year, which is a couple of streets further north, near the Rockerfella Centre and Radio City Music Hall. We're looking at going back to Radio City next year.

The Paramount was great, but the rooms are really small - bed, bathroom, TV and that's about it. Radio City, while seeming a litlle more old fashioned, had a kitchen area, a dining table and space to walk round the bed as well!

We stayed further north this year, on 96th street, place called the Hotel Newton, and while the hotel was lovely and the staff were fab, we missed the hustle and bustle of Midtown
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I went I stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers it was on 53rd street if I remember correctly. It was a nice area and much quieter at night than when I stayed in the theatre district. When I say night I mean at 3am when you want to sleep. The theatre district was noisy all night long.

The hotel was nice and not that expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I'll check all of those out :)

I know about Trip Advisor, thecoffeehouse, but whenever I've looked on there before I've found that every hotel in the world is rubbish! People are so negative on there!
    Elanor wrote: »
    I also stayed at a hotel further downtown, the 30 30 (on 30th) which was not as nice - fab foyer but very tiny rooms even by New York standards and very hot too, and the staff weren't great. It was fine, but I wouldn't stay there again.

That's where I stayed the last time! Agree about the staff, I had some dreadful experiences there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed in a place called Hotel 99 when I went a few weeks ago. It is basic but it is very very nice and has just recently been refurbished so it looks brand new. It is on 99th street, but the Subway at 96th street will get you to times square in 6 stops or so (or 2 on the express!). Very much worth considering. We have already booked it again for next March when we go.
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we stayed at the novotel new york a few years back on 52nd and broadway and was really good. basic but clean, good service and fantastic location and we could seee times square from our room and was by a load of the theatres
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i stopped at Hotel 31 one East 31st street, the hotel was really nice and in small street :) close to all the sights and it was fairly cheap!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stayed at the Amsterdam Court Hotel a few years ago, was really nice & good location
  • Options
    novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.nyharborhouse.com/index.html

This is lovely. Sort of old fashioned but lots of hot water and great breakfasts when we stayed. Staten Island Ferry is free so easy to get across to Manhattan (bus from Ferry to end of street where B&B is).
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casablanca on Times Square. OK, a bit pricier than the average Travelodge/Premier Inn but made our holiday even better than it would have been somewhere cheaper...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah been a few times. The Omni and the Paramount are great, shame about the room size at the Paramount but other than that its lovely.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    http://www.wolcott.com/
    I stayed in the Hotel Wolcott when i went to New York with school in October last year.
    It is quite cheap (i think) and in a really good location (5 mins from the Empire State Building) the rooms were very comfortable and clean - better than i was expecting to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.wolcott.com/
    I stayed in the Hotel Wolcott when i went to New York with school in October last year.
    It is quite cheap (i think) and in a really good location (5 mins from the Empire State Building) the rooms were very comfortable and clean - better than i was expecting to be honest.

I've just been looking at that one on TripAdvisor actually, nice to have a "personal" recommendation as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Salisbury hotel is reasonable and clean. Very close to central park and 5th Avenue.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I stayed at The Travel Inn on West 42nd Street and 10th. Lovely place (it even has a swimming pool!) and across the street from a Police Station. Cheap too! 5 minutes walk to Times Square.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed at the New York Skyline on 10th, about 5 mins walk from Times Square, decent enough, pool on the roof.

If you're on a budget, check hostels on Expedia, i've seen rooms (with shared bathrooms) for as little as $17 a night.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've already got some good suggestions but two things for you to consider. NY hotels are overpriced purely on their location and the rooms are small as space is at a premium. Look outside Manhattan for cheaper prices. The city has a great subway system which runs 24/7 and buses and taxis too. I'd advise looking at Queens and Brooklyn for more choice and perhaps Northern New Jersey. If in New Jersey use trip advisor to ensure you are staying close to either the PATH train, NJ transit or buses into Port Authority (Manhattan), if in BK or Queens try and use google maps and trip advisor for a hotel near a subway station. You can stay close to Manhattan and the sites without paying the same premium. There is a comfort inn or days inn at Long Island City which is cheap and it's a couple of blocks from Queensborough Plaza subway. That station is one stop from Manhattan. Check it out.

Also, there is a problem in NY with bedbugs in a lot of places. Check trip advisor but also check the bedbug registry. You can enter an address there and see if there are any issues where you want to stay. Good luck and hope you have a great visit.