Daily Express "Huge Atlantic Storm" - hyperbole or serious?

2»

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What's being forecast for tomorrow, which is what we are discussing, is tomorrow's storm and the Express's hyperbole. A normal Winter storm is being forecast. Something to be taken seriously of course - as with all storms. The reality when it happens could turn out to be worse or less than forecast, I'm just saying what's being forecast on the Met Office website for a random southern town, Southampton (because it's well inside the amber warning areas and is in my part of the Country).

What's different this year is the relentless succession of rainy days, and embedded gale or storm force winds from time to time, which may be up there with the Winter of 1962-3 for unusualness, but in a different way of course.

Cheers for clearing it up for me.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the Express hire someone simply to write these stupid headlines, because they must be working full time as this sorry excuse for a "news" paper simply doesn't stop with the overhyped stories....
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Express "Huge Atlantic Storm" - hyperbole or serious?

Serious hyperbole.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well here's what the Express said last week:

Coastal cliff tops and 90 foot anemometer masts (yes a few really are that tall!) will obviously be much higher and that's what will be reported... but who lives in those places? Oh, flat dwellers I suppose, I hope they remember to shut their windows.

I do!

On the top of a 100mtr cliff about 90 mtrs inland. Great views in summer - I found the downside this week

I've only just got the salt off the car from the last one, it can remain on the house windows til Spring
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The daily express have honed (bizarre word) into what sells papers. And the weather is that at the moment.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I do!

On the top of a 100mtr cliff about 90 mtrs inland. Great views in summer - I found the downside this week

I've only just got the salt off the car from the last one, it can remain on the house windows til Spring
    I've toyed with the idea of living on the cliffs around Porthleven but I think it may get a bit scary!
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/02/watch-lord-smith-of-the-environment-agency-is-cornered-by-a-somerset-farmer.html

This winter is off the scale in terms of rainfall & flooding

One man is not responsible for mother nature