Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
Forum Member
It is on tonight at 8pm. I am interested in seeing how they have adapted this book. Although not impressed that Miranda Hart has been cast, this isnt a comedy:confused:

Comments

• nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes: Because of course actors can only play in one particular genre...

Anyway, yes I am looking forward to it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Because of course actors can only play in one particular genre...

Anyway, yes I am looking forward to it!

not saying they cant, just cant see her as anything else, dont think shes that funny either tbh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    kadylou wrote: »
    It is on tonight at 8pm. I am interested in seeing how they have adapted this book. Although not impressed that Miranda Hart has been cast, this isnt a comedy:confused:

I don't know the books. It's not really my type of thing but I'm Sky+ing it as I'm looking for a gentle drama to watch.
    As for Miranda Hart being in it that's not a problem as she never makes me laugh anyway. :p
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is looking forward to the BBC1s adaptation of the novel "Call the Midwife"

Not me. Looks like All Creatures Great and Small but without arms up cows on farms in the middle of the night....... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Not me. Looks like All Creatures Great and Small but without arms up cows on farms in the middle of the night....... ;)

But if shes a midwife there could be hand up ...EDIT ...in the air at excitement of new births. :D
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky +ing it as will be watching DOI but am quite looking forward to watching it tomorrow.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if shes a midwife there could be hand up ...

I was hoping someone would complete that set-up! :D

This gets something of a pasting in the Radio Times. Beeb probably think this is a bit edgy for Sunday nights but it just looks like more heartwarming cosy country crap to me.

Why does this get 6 parts but that South Ridings thing last year had to make do with a ridiculously rushed three?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda Hart?

I'd rather have Wendy Craig.

Is this series trying to tap into the "The Royal" fan base?

Can't see it appealing to many men, many of us "don't like seeing all that mess,"
    I witnessed the birth of our last at home, that was enough.

We'll be giving it a miss, my wife can't stand all that noise some women make and she had three.
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a retired Midwife, so I think I may try it. I trained in the late 80's, my mentor trained in the 60's & her mother, who was also a Midwife trained in the 40's!
    So I've got lots of stories & anecdotes, I can always remember her telling me about riding a bike to women in labour when she was a student & dad's knocking on the door at all hours when she was a child; for her mum.
    I'm hoping Miranda Hart is as good as Dawn French & Pauline Quirk at crossing over from comedy to drama.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    ive the read the novel and i dont think its really focused on midwifery or birth, but more the socioeconomic status of west end of london in the 1950s
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to watching it, I'll have to record it though and I am quite looking forward to seeing how MH manages a serious role!
  • archie2000archie2000 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    oops, set in 1957, yet a Boeing 707 flying over London a year before it was built?

Yes, I know, I'm sad that way :cry:
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archie2000 wrote: »
    oops, set in 1957, yet a Boeing 707 flying over London a year before it was built?

Yes, I know, I'm sad that way :cry:

Agreed. Nuns. BBC script writers without imagination and babies. No thanks.
    Now watching The Great Barrier Reef. Thank GOD!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I had been looking forward to this but it's dreadful!
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I quite like it so far!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I take it back: am warming to it slightly. Feels more like an episode of 'how we used to live' than a compelling drama though
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it, it's definitely going to be a regular for me.
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im enjoying it :D

mind goes to show how societys changed in the last 60 yrs, just picturing midwifes putting up with women laid on their backs with a **** in their mouths now adays :eek:

twas a different world lol - nice to see cliffe parissi in another role from Minty too ! :)
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like it so far!

Me too... and another plus to it is!... i haven't spotted Miranda Hart yet either!.... i hope it stays that way!.....:D
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it , is the book worth getting ?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I like it , is the book worth getting ?

Yes, interesting read
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uuuarrghh
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »
    Me too... and another plus to it is!... i haven't spotted Miranda Hart yet either!.... i hope it stays that way!.....:D

I don't think she's in this ep. She wasn't in the cast list at the beginning.

Yuk! to the woman who let her child wee on the floor and had untreated syphyllis! :eek:
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kadylou wrote: »
    ive the read the novel and i dont think its really focused on midwifery or birth, but more the socioeconomic status of west end of london in the 1950s

Blimey!..... is that supposed to be the West End?..... whatever was it like in the EastEnd then eh!.......
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, interesting read[/QUOTE
    ]

Ta will look it up on amazon :D