Olly Murs leads The X Factor related BRIT awards nominations.

Comments

• InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    wow!! 1D included in the shortlist for the top Global Brit Success of 2012? I'll take that!!:eek::D

Also can't wait for their performance at the Brits Awards itself!!;)

A 'shortlist' implies that they have been selected for further consideration, which is inaccurate. It's based on international sales for a period of time which has already passed (2012).. the winner is already decided! They've either won it or they haven't. Though yes, it is a huge achievement to be in the top three selling British artists of 2012 internationally.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly Murs is hot, 1D is not as simple as that. I <3 Olly!!!

:eek: About as hot as a wet flannel. Specsavers?
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see any of the x-factor nominees winning unless 1D win the global sales, but Adele has that covered by a few hundred thousand I think, Ben Howard or Richard Hawley for best male I reckon and best single between Robbie Williams, Coldplay or Labrinth/Emeli Sandi, Coldplay and Alex Clare.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    A 'shortlist' implies that they have been selected for further consideration, which is inaccurate. It's based on international sales for a period of time which has already passed (2012).. the winner is already decided! They've either won it or they haven't. Though yes, it is a huge achievement to be in the top three selling British artists of 2012 internationally.

indeed i agree it's a huge achievement for the boys.:D

though i can't help but feel the need of some to nitpick and split hairs in DS when it comes to the boys' achievements. is that included now in the terms when one joins the forum?

of all the achievers in the global arena for 2012, the Brits made a shortlist of 3 acts...

it is a shortlist out of which we'll know who is deemed the ultimate Global Success.;)

Noun 1. shortlist - a list of applicants winnowed from a longer list who have been deemed suitable and from which the successful person will be chosen
    short list
    list, listing - a database containing an ordered array of items (names or topics)
    Verb 1. shortlist - put someone or something on a short list
    grade, rate, rank, place, range, order - assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    One Direction are NOT 'nominated' for the Global Success award, it is simply awarded to the UK act with the highest international sales during 2012. There are NO nominees, just a straight winner.

http://www.noise11.com/news/bruce-springsteen-and-rolling-stones-nominated-for-brit-awards-20130111

As such there are no nominees listed for that award on the BRITS official website: http://www.brits.co.uk/news/2013/brit-awards-2013-nominees-announced-0

Some poor journalism from some sources who obviously failed to do their research.

Yet another award with a meaningless tag to it - 'Global Success Award'.

Again the word 'Success' is a very subjective word - is it purely on sales or does it include image, ability, etc, etc.

If it is purely on sales why not call it the 'Global Sales Award'? And then sales of what - records, merchanise? It is like another one of those meaningfess awards - like a 'Lifetime Achievement Award'. Suspect Ade3le will win this one then?
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Yet another award with a meaningless tag to it - 'Global Success Award'.

Again the word 'Success' is a very subjective word - is it purely on sales or does it include image, ability, etc, etc.

If it is purely on sales why not call it the 'Global Sales Award'? And then sales of what - records, merchanise? It is like another one of those meaningfess awards - like a 'Lifetime Achievement Award'. Suspect Ade3le will win this one then?

I think that one is fairly straightforward and will be a good excuse to get Adele at the brits and let her finish her speach this time.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    :eek: About as hot as a wet flannel. Specsavers?

Mate it's that Essex twangy accent...it's so cute...:o He's also got a cute face. Only Louis (and sort of Liam) seem attractive now from 1D and that too by a bit of a long shot...

Anyway it's been a great year for Olly and his single and album have both done SO well. I'm so happy for him. How will he not sweep the awards?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence FTW.
  • unicornsunicorns Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I don't get the Olly hate here.. I like the guy. His music is very catchy and it's perfect for airplay on the radio. I love it! :D I prefer his music over One Direction's music for sure. I feel like he has a slightly more grown up pop feel to him. One Direction only makes teenage bubble gum pop.

Anyway, I like Olly and I'm chuffed for him. I think he deserved it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mate it's that Essex twangy accent...it's so cute... He's also got a cute face.

That is one of the things which grates for me. Having lived in Essex and with two children, a sister, and two sisters-in-law all born there, I know you don't have to talk like that even if you come from there!

As for his "cute face" - words fail me!

And what about his dire performance at last year's Brits?

I don't deny it has been a good year for him. But will it continue now that Syco have another toy!
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    That is one of the things which grates for me. Having lived in Essex and with two children, a sister, and two sisters-in-law all born there, I know you don't have to talk like that even if you come from there!

As for his "cute face" - words fail me!

And what about his dire performance at last year's Brits?

I don't deny it has been a good year for him. But will it continue now that Syco have another toy!

Gill P - let's just agree to disagree. You can like your One Direction children if you want but Olly is much more mature like unicorn put quite nicely. Also, why shouldn't he speak like that - it's his accent! Loads of people do...what's the problem in that? I don't get your logic...so he shouldn't speak like that because it gets on your nerves? Just because it's not the same as the one you lived with?

Forget his cuteness (admittedly subjective) for a second and let's talk music. His music is incontrovertibly more mature and catchy than 1D's. Regarding the award, he deserves it for his recent phenomenal success in the charts. And look at the bubbly personality. He's definitely earned himself at least the best Brit Male AND he seems to be the favorite to win it anyway. Troublemaker has also been a great success and is climbing up the charts as we speak in the US. And all my male friends like him too. Olly's music can actually appeal to guys, 1D's doesn't.

What toy are you talking about? He's on a roll. With Leona it took some time before her success dwindled down (at least 5 years really). And he's only just beginning his success. He'll get some much needed momentum from this and at least radio stations will be looking for what he's got next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can like your One Direction children if you want

Who are One Direction? (Only kidding!) I cannot say I have actually heard them sing a complete song. Not my cup of tea at all.

I have no idea why you think I prefer them. :confused:
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget his cuteness (admittedly subjective) for a second and let's talk music. His music is incontrovertibly more mature and catchy than 1D's. Regarding the award, he deserves it for his recent phenomenal success in the charts. And look at the bubbly personality. He's definitely earned himself at least the best Brit Male AND he seems to be the favorite to win it anyway. Troublemaker has also been a great success and is climbing up the charts as we speak in the US. And all my male friends like him too. Olly's music can actually appeal to guys, 1D's doesn't.

Why are you comparing them? as some have said, music is subjective. Some people like pop, some like yourself probably like Reggae and Marroon 5, nothing wrong with that.:p

In terms of cuteness, Olly for me is incredibly cheesy, looks and personality. He comes across as a nice guy though, that's a good thing. (I guess).:p
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unicorns wrote: »
    I don't get the Olly hate here.. I like the guy. His music is very catchy and it's perfect for airplay on the radio. I love it! :D I prefer his music over One Direction's music for sure. I feel like he has a slightly more grown up pop feel to him. One Direction only makes teenage bubble gum pop.

I nearly choked with laughter reading this. Have you ever even listened to his lyrics. It's bubblegum pop too, more galling from guy not far short of 30,

Olly has done very well but then he could hardly fail with all his promotional opportunities and blanket airplay. Sales are rarely a major factor on deciding Best Male so I'd be very surprised if he wins.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you have shot yourself in the foot with that statement! I have both Olly and 1D' s 2nd albums and I like both but you cannot say one is more grown up than the other BOTH are pure pop.1D with a rock slant and Olly with a reggae slant
  • unicornsunicorns Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I think you have shot yourself in the foot with that statement! I have both Olly and 1D' s 2nd albums and I like both but you cannot say one is more grown up than the other BOTH are pure pop.1D with a rock slant and Olly with a reggae slant

1D with a rock slant?!?! SERIOUSLY? You think Kiss You and Live While We're Young are rock songs? lol

And btw.. I still think Olly does more mature pop than One Direction. Sure, he makes catchy pop music too. But it's not as bad as the bubblegum pop 1D does, and yes.. I definitely think there's a difference there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D with a rock slant?!?! SERIOUSLY? You think Kiss You and Live While We're Young are rock songs? lol

And btw.. I still think Olly does more mature pop than One Direction. Sure, he makes catchy pop music too. But it's not as bad as the bubblegum pop 1D does, and yes.. I definitely think there's a difference there.

I think Twingle means pop rock and if you listen to both of 1D's album you'll find that they have pop rock elements.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever heard of Pop Rock?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »
    I think Twingle means pop rock and if you listen to both of 1D's album you'll find that they have pop rock elements.

Yeah I got pop rock from it too. It's like Busted or McFlys earlier stuff (best comparison I could think of :o)
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly Murs might now be my fave X Factor chart star of all-time. He is the only ex-X Factor singer to have released 3 singles I have liked so far. I would want Troublemaker to win Single of the Year, but in practice Stooshe's Black Heart was my fave song of 2012.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »

Rock slant?

Reggae slant?

LMAO:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me most is that Olly Murs has been asked to perform at the Brits, and is up for Best Male "singer", while Will Young has never been asked despite being one of the best LIVE performers around. He has been in the music business for eleven years now and has never put a foot wrong, apart from when he was obliged to duet with Gareth Gates!

I'll grant you that Will has been nominated as BM before but lost out to Daniel Beningfield!
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    What annoys me most is that Olly Murs has been asked to perform at the Brits, and is up for Best Male "singer", while Will Young has never been asked despite being one of the best LIVE performers around. He has been in the music business for eleven years now and has never put a foot wrong, apart from when he was obliged to duet with Gareth Gates!

I'll grant you that Will has been nominated as BM before but lost out to Daniel Beningfield!

He also lost out to The Streets:confused:

I doubt he's worried though, as I'm sure he'd rather have the lasting career, than gone down the trajecctory that these two have! It's a shame he's never been asked to perform though, and I don't really understand why.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    He also lost out to The Streets:confused:

I doubt he's worried though, as I'm sure he'd rather have the lasting career, than gone down the trajecctory that these two have! It's a shame he's never been asked to perform though, and I don't really understand why.

Olly was even asked to perform last year and turned in a lack lustre, off-tune effort.
    After the critical acclaim and success of Echoes/Jealousy it was unforgivable. If he deserved a BM nomination or a performance slot at all it should have been 2012!!l. Disgraceful really that Will as one of our most enduring male solo stars has never EVER been given a performance slot.
    Thanks God he's not eligible this year and fans don't have to get indignant again!:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like being indignant! :)