[Game] The Mix Factor 5: Live Show #8

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Finally, the long wait is over! Ladies and gents, it is my absolute pleasure to welcome all of you to the 8th live show of The Mix Factor 5.

Last Friday, we had quite an interesting show as the top 8 sang songs related to the elements of the classical world. The song choices were as diverse as always, and some of them impressed the judges while others had them scratching their heads in confusion. At the end of the night, we were treated to yet another shock bottom 2 as The Stereo Hoggz took on Stephanie Ravn in the final showdown and were voted off by everyone except their own mentor Roxie.

Tonight, the pressure is back on as not one but TWO acts will be leaving the competition following a dazzling display of Album Tracks. As per usual with doubles here on The Mix Factor, the act with the fewest votes at the end of the voting window will be eliminated automatically while the 6th and 5th-placers will take each other on in the final sing-off of the series. Yup, it's definitely going to be an interesting night!

Let's kick it off in style by introducing the four fantastic mentors of The Mix Factor and the amazing seven acts that have made it this far.
Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukU6pqD6Ak

unclekevo and the last of the boys
Haris Alagic

fireemblemcraze and the groups
BadBoyz
Gap5
Rikke & Trine

pingu58011 and the over 25s
Dami Im
Stephanie Ravn

Soppyfan and the last of the girls
Inbal Bibi

A number of people have sent me PMs that they won't be here, which is a bit of a shame. Let's see if at least two of the judges are here before I do anything like finding a guest judge. Judges, show yourselves!

We'll start in 5 minutes provided enough people are here by then. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Here :D
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Hi - after The Stereo Hogzz disappointing elimination last week, the groups are here to cement their place in the competition!
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, with the two of you here and comments from both Steve and Kevin (albeit short ones from the latter) sitting in my inbox, I think we're good to go. :)

Without further ado, let's introduce the first act singing her album track tonight. Hoping to leave a lasting impression, it's out Korean powerhouse vocalist Dami Im.

One More Time, One More Chance by Beni
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU8AbzBCB64
    Forum Member
    Dami Im
    *Standing Ovation*

Dami, wow....just wow. That was absolutely phenomenal. For me, this was your best performance in weeks because not only were the vocals just beautiful, but the performance was also really interesting and I really love how much it built up throughout the song. It was powerful and you just let all your emotions out. For me, that has proved that you deserve to be in the quarter-final next week. You sung for your life and you have just been so consistent throughout the entire competition. Yes, you had a few weeks where you didn't get lots of praise, but I think everyone left in this competition has had them. I am so proud of you and I really hope the public vote you through as I absolutely love you and finding songs for you. Please vote Dami Im!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dami Im

Dami, I thought this was an okay choice, it wasn't totally amazing but it wasn't awful either. The song for me had the middle-of-the-road feeling, some good moments and some moments where I think you could've done better. Nonetheless, you always sing beautifully in a performance like this and I thought it was a nice start to the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dami

Vocally this song most definitely fitted your voice but it was very dull.
    Forum Member
    Ok let's start with the positives - the emotion was there as it always it. But the tone felt too adult contemporary and unfortunately the performance came across as a bit old fashioned and cabaret. It sounded more like something Sam Bailey would sing rather than cool, edgy Dami. Last week you had a very MOR performance and I didn't feel it was right to see my boys go with stuff like that still around so I really felt like you needed to bring it back tonight and I don't think you did. Out of all 7 performances, I've only liked your first two as well and for me I think you peaked too early. This didn't feel like a Top 5 performance to me unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An okay reception for Dami tonight. While these comment were not terrible by any means, the lack of enthusiasm for this performance from everyone but Pingu may be a bad omen for the only wildcard act still in the competition.

Next up, hoping for a more enthusiastic response from the panel, it's everyone's favourite BadBoyz taking on a Smallpools track!

Over And Over by Smallpools
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heeCiTiKVuc
    Forum Member
    It didn't sound adult contemporary at all. Steve and Kev both said it suited her voice perfectly. Somebody's being tactical....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadBoyz

Boom! Just like that, we get a performance where I suddenly wake up and wonder what just happened, lol. That was a really terrific song choice, the up-tempo feel and the high amount of fun was all there for us to see. I've been keeping an eye on you for some time and you're getting better each show, just hope you can keep it going. Well done boys.
    Forum Member
    It's my boyz! And what a performance they've put on. Every week without fail, they do what an XF act should do which is put on a show. And throughout my 7 performances I've catered to that - every week choosing a catchy song or intense soft rock for them to sing. However, what makes this performance different from the rest is the combination of emotion and performance. There is so much emotion especially in the second half of the verse. Also re your tone - like Kevin has said before, you have quirky indie rock vocals and I feel Smallpools really brings out the best in that respective aspect. I just hope the public tonight see that you haven't been in the B2 yet for a reason and that's because you've been consistent throughout the 7 shows through a combination of suitable choices and great catchy songs.

Re Kevin - yes in a way it is more indie pop but in a way that suits Badboyz quirky vocals more and what they did on their version of the XF more. But if they get through next week - no doubt you'll see their intense rock side come back (like they showed in their Coasts - Wallow performance).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    It didn't sound adult contemporary at all. Steve and Kev both said it suited her voice perfectly. Somebody's being tactical....

Now now, please avoid pointing fingers until the results are revealed. Don't forget that it's the public that decides who stays and who goes. What one judge thinks is actually pretty minor when offset against the 8+ people that regularly vote on this game plus the odd votes from FMs I never knew existed.
    Forum Member
    BadBoyz
    *Standing Ovation*

Boyz, I really liked that. I thought it suited you really well and it was so upbeat and really got me in the party mood. I thought the vocals were fab aswell. I do think that it was too American style with really American vocals but I can imagine you singing this extremely well. As I said last week, the competition would be boring without you and I really hope you are voted through to the Quarter-Final. You have been absolutely amazing in this competition and Roxie has been a terrific mentor to you. No way will you be leaving tonight. Good job boyz!!!
    Forum Member
    Now now, please avoid pointing fingers until the results are revealed. Don't forget that it's the public that decides who stays and who goes. What one judge thinks is actually pretty minor when offset against the 8+ people that regularly vote on this game.

Rick, I was joking. I was just trying to carry on mine and Roxie's fake rivalry :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick, I was joking. I was just trying to carry on mine and Roxie's fake rivalry :p

Fair enough. Though I always find it difficult to determine whether you're joking or complaining as the posts you make for both are the same. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadBoyz

Better than last few weeks but still lacking a bit of an edge, this was more indie pop than the indie-rock I wanna see you guys doing.
    Forum Member

Shuddup bird. The vocal felt too adult contemporary to me. I NEVER do tactical unfortunately. I am only being honest. That performance lacked edge and felt old fashioned! What an horrible accusation however. >:( Watch yourself please.

Wait till later though. ;-) I'm sure you'll be pleased with my comment for a certain someone else.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. Thought I always find it difficult to determine whether you're joking or complaining though as the posts you make for both are the same. ;-)

haha I know. I really should put a smiley at the end :p
    Forum Member
    Pingu - the vocal felt too adult contemporary to me. I do not do tactical unfortunately. I am only being honest. That performance lacked edge and felt old fashioned. That's the one thing I've been going on and on about Pingu and you know that.

Wait till later though. ;-) I'm sure you'll be pleased with my comment for a certain someone else.

I know, I just wanted to create drama to get viewers. Gets me payed more ;-)

And that sounds very exciting :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha I know. I really should put a smiley at the end :p

Oh god you managed to quote me before I fixed my 2 typos in one sentence... :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, I just wanted to create drama to get viewers. Gets me payed more ;-)

And that sounds very exciting :D

More bottom 3 rankings for Matthew Mayfield on NTA maybe. :p

Just kidding, he has some good songs that I want to see you use.
    Forum Member
    More bottom 3 rankings for Matthew Mayfield on NTA maybe. :p

Just kidding, he has some good songs that I want to see you use.

That really upset me :cry:

And I know he does. His first EP wasn't that great...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoops, I'm upstaging myself here with all these silly replies while I should have my super try-hard hosting mode engaged. :blush:

The next act to take to the stage is the one that has probably performed the greatest variety of genres so far. What kind of surprise does Inbal Bibi have in store for us this time?

Alive by Gabrielle Aplin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4HO9cFH3o
    Forum Member
    That really upset me :cry:

And I know he does. His first EP wasn't that great...

I'm more annoyed Rick didn't have my Danish Goddess in his top 3 and you too. >:(

Matthew Mayfield was delicious last week though. His voice is gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    Inbal Bibi
    Inbal, last week I didn't like you that much but your mentor got the style spot on for the first time. This however, was a massive step back. I just don't see how it suited you at all. You don't have a quirky voice whatsoever. I know this because I have been watching some of your performances back this week and you are more of a RnB-Blues-Pop singer. Not an indie, quirky singer. Tonight 3 acts will be in the bottom and I just don't know how you will avoid being there. Good luck in the vote!!!