Options

Since when have regenerations been made public?

ClackersClackers Posts: 628
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I the only one disgruntled as to the fact Smith's regeneration has been public knowledge for a year now?

Where is the element of surprise?

MOFFAT has really dropped the ball in this one.

When Pertwee turned into Baker, nobody knew it was going to happen, so why now?

It has ruined the excitement of Xmas TV frankly. In fact, most people will just watch it on iPlayer on boxing day now they know what's going to happen. >:(

Comments

• Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    Am I the only one disgruntled as to the fact Smith's regeneration has been public knowledge for a year now?

It has ruined the excitement of Xmas TV frankly. In fact, most people will just watch it on iPlayer on boxing day now they know what's going to happen. >:(
    Apart from the meta-crisis, there has never been a "surprise" regeneration in the entire history of the show. Every new Doctor has been announced in advance.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rubbish.
    Everyone knew that Pertwee was leaving - it was no surprise at all.
    In fact every change of Doctor has been known about well in advance, even the change from Hartnell to Troughton, which you might have expected to be the most surprising.

Still, why let pesky things like facts or the truth get in your way when you just want to pointlessly bash Moffat again, eh Clackers?
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As be more pacific has said, it is 100% incorrect to say that any of the previous regenerations have been a surprise. All were publicised. I wonder about your knowledge of the show if you're not aware of this.

Regarding your last paragraph, what does it matter to you how other people choose to watch it and how does it spoil your own enjoyment? More than that, what business is it of yours?

Sorry, but this is one of the most self-absorbed, factually uninformed, and basically childish rants I have heard here for quite a while.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, *I* didn't know Pertwee was leaving and Tom Baker was the new Doctor!

Was 5 at the time, mind. ;-)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    As be more pacific has said, it is 100% incorrect to say that any of the previous regenerations have been a surprise. All were publicised. I wonder about your knowledge of the show if you're not aware of this.

Regarding your last paragraph, what does it matter to you how other people choose to watch it and how does it spoil your own enjoyment? More than that, what business is it of yours?

Sorry, but this is one of the most self-absorbed, factually uninformed, and basically childish rants I have heard here for quite a while.

You should read some of Clackers other posts!
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    You should read some of Clackers other posts!

Oh no. One of those is he? I'll try and remember to skim past his posts in future.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably seeing as it has only been public knowledge about 6 months.
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    given the fact that an actor's agent needs to try and get him more work it is impossible to keep the departure of high profile stars secret.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Moffat knows the press will get hold of it and leak it... so he would rather reveal it on his owns terms.

It's tricky enough to keep a storyline secret..let alone something like the lead actor leaving. It's annoying but the press seem keen to leak all aspects of Doctor Who these days.

You're never going to get a surprise regeneration.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm being pedantic but it hasn't even been a year since Matt Smith's departure was announced, it was in June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um...everyone knew David Tennant would be regenerating well over a year in advance...and I'm fairly certain that there has never been a surprise regeneration in the history of the show (with the exception of the meta-crisis regeneration and Eight's regeneration in Night of the Doctor.)
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the meta-crisis, there has never been a "surprise" regeneration in the entire history of the show. Every new Doctor has been announced in advance.

That was not a surprise regeneration. Anyone looking at spoiler threads at the time knew everything about the surprise regeneration (and I would like to point out I am not complaining about spoilers which is the conclusion someone came to the last time I said this).
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <take his head out from under sack>Matt Smith is LEAVING? OMG</....>

:D:D
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    <take his head out from under sack>Matt Smith is LEAVING? OMG</....>

:D:D

What now?
    I didn't even know Colin Baker had left :confused:

:D
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the OP is another case of "hit and run" trolling by Clackers. He/she never sticks around after posting nonsense.

Wind 'em up and watch 'em go...
    bp2 wrote: »
    That was not a surprise regeneration. Anyone looking at spoiler threads at the time knew everything about the surprise regeneration (and I would like to point out I am not complaining about spoilers which is the conclusion someone came to the last time I said this).
    Well, it was a surprise in the sense that it hadn't been announced officially and scene had even been cut from industry preview DVDs of The Stolen Earth.

It's easy to say that some spoilers were accurate with the benefit of hindsight. However, you should bear in mind that people on ye olde spoiler threads of 2008 were also claiming that Harriet Jones would become the Dalek Supreme and the 8th Doctor would put in an appearance.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not even good trolling anymore. f -
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is has got to be the most pointless and quite frankly factually inaccurate statement I have ever read in three years on this forum!:D

It is a well documented fact that Pertwee announced he was going to leave during transmission of Invasion Of The Dinosaurs. That's quite a gap between that and the end of that Season.

I would extend the same challenge to you as I did in your last bit of trolling and come back on this thread and discuss what leads you to make such a statement. As you didn't last time, though, my hopes aren't high.......
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    I think Moffat knows the press will get hold of it and leak it... so he would rather reveal it on his owns terms.

It's tricky enough to keep a storyline secret..let alone something like the lead actor leaving. It's annoying but the press seem keen to leak all aspects of Doctor Who these days.

You're never going to get a surprise regeneration.

Well I know Im being pedantic here, but Paul McGann to John Hurt and John Hurt to Eccelstone were surprises to see in a way.
    Of course that was all back story especially for the 50th, so it doesnt really count as far as the main running of the show is concerned!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly it's feeding time, in here!
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, *I* didn't know Pertwee was leaving and Tom Baker was the new Doctor!

Was 5 at the time, mind. ;-)

I didn't either!

I was about 30 hours old at the time, though...
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Doctor WHO?'

Crawling back into my bunker!