How many models of TARDIS do we know about?

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Doctors' type40 iss one of the older ones right?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think in the book they introduced the Type-113 line.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant remember the model, but the Meddling Monk had a newer model back in the 60s. He stated it was 50 years more advanced than the Doctors at the time.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    Cant remember the model, but the Meddling Monk had a newer model back in the 60s. He stated it was 50 years more advanced than the Doctors at the time.

His must still have been quite old then as didn't it say that when it stole it it was already ancient model.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terror Of The Autons - if I remember correctly, the Doctor steals the Master's dematerialistion circuit but it's not compatible with the Doctor's TARDIS because his is a 'mark 1' and the Master has a flashier 'mark 2'. I suppose he could just mean the stolen circuit, but the fact that it doesn't fit implies that it must still come from a different model TARDIS.

Interestingly whenever the Doctor's TARDIS gets an overhaul, the Master's frequently does too. In The Time Monster for instance the Doctor's TARDIS suddenly sports those washing up bowl style roundels, and so does the Master's TARDIS. It's as if the BBC only had one set! :)

More charitably, we could perhaps surmise that TARDIS design upgrades maybe work like, say, Windows upgrades. A new revamp is rolled out across all the working TARDISes and once installed the new desktop, as we're expected to call it these days, could be the the same for all. this could explain why the basic design of TARDISes (the Master's, the Monk's) seems to be broadly the same as the Doctor's at any point in Who history, with minor customised differences in some stories. The Rani has really pimped her's up though hasn't she?
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone has looked into this already: http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the war games, there are sidrats. more modern tardises but with a limited lifespan.

in the invasion of time, tardises are referred to as capsules.

there is also a sort different tardis in the 2 doctors.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've always been obsessed with the Tardis from day 1! It was so massive in William Hartnell's day! That HUGE control room, corridors and sleeping rooms (room for a pony!). In Troughton's days he had a 'Power Room' for one episode. Jon Pertwee had a slide-o-matic wardrobe that became a bed (where did THAT come from??)
    Tom Baker invented that door that went to the rest of the Tardis! This continued until the new series.....no-one knows what goes where anymore! It was much easier with that door!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been obsessed with the Tardis from day 1! It was so massive in William Hartnell's day! That HUGE control room, corridors and sleeping rooms (room for a pony!). In Troughton's days he had a 'Power Room' for one episode. Jon Pertwee had a slide-o-matic wardrobe that became a bed (where did THAT come from??)
    Tom Baker invented that door that went to the rest of the Tardis! This continued until the new series.....no-one knows what goes where anymore! It was much easier with that door!

It came from MFI judging from the look of it... :)
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Even with the chameleon circuit, the exterior of the police box seems to change dimensions, window size, shade of blue every few years or so too.
    The de-materialisation effect also goes through a few subtle shifts.

Personally I think it looked best during 9/10s era, not a big fan of the overly blueish blue and window style it has now.

Hopefully it might shift again for 12/13/14 or whatever Capaldi is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was impressed by the whoniverse link given above ! somebody has gone through all tv all novels .......

even if it is gibberish. a tardis requiring the output of a black hole for a single journey would soon destroy the universe but hey its sci fi .........

i assume the op relates to supposed different type tardises, and not superficial restylings seen in different tv seasons .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

useful plot device ....... not unlike star trek jeffries tube ...... wander around inside tardis and any corridors and rooms will do ...... no need to build special scenery .....