Humax PVR-9300T: Does Your One Do This?

123457»

Comments

• Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Channel 228 available on the PVR-9300T?
    No, that's an IPTV channel. You need a Freeview TV (or STB) with an HD tuner and an Internet connection.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    No, that's an IPTV channel. You need a Freeview TV (or STB) with an HD tuner and an Internet connection.
    Yes as a minimum that is correct but you need to add "and has the capability to support IPTV channels". For instance an HDR-FOX t2 would meet your requirements but has no support for IPTV channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I'm also having problems with my HUMAX PVR-9300T skipping playback. We mostly experience it on The Good Wife on More 4. I have two HUMAX PVR-9300Ts of different ages, and both exhibit the problem, even after reformatting.

I note suggestions above that it might be something to do with the signal from a particular station. I don't watch anything else on More 4 so it could be.

What's the latest thinking on this issue? Would be great to resolve before my wife insists we go back to Sky!!

thanks

KC
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I'm also having problems with my HUMAX PVR-9300T skipping playback. We mostly experience it on The Good Wife on More 4. I have two HUMAX PVR-9300Ts of different ages, and both exhibit the problem, even after reformatting.

I note suggestions above that it might be something to do with the signal from a particular station. I don't watch anything else on More 4 so it could be....

I'm not sure that I have come across the classic skip problem on More 4 - but then I don't very often record it. - If you can play through the jump point using either slow motion or switching to the alternative audio track, then this is the jumping that most people are referring to. It is usually on BBC channels and most often seen on Family Guy (BBC3) and Points of View (BBC1). It is possible that it may have occurred in the past on Film4 or possibly More 4 - I have a vague recollection of a problem with a film a few years ago.

Another problem that I get is if I manually skip the ad-breaks on any channel a short while later the Humax randomly jumps forward and loses audio sync. rewinding or pausing/resuming usually stops this.

If this isn't the problem you have - I'd seriously consider looking at your aerial, signal strength and local interference. You say you have a problem with More 4. Do you have a problem with ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5?
    When you tuned the Humax did you let it automatically tune or did you manually tune it? (If you need to manually tune see Big-les's guide).

As for whether Humax intend to fix the problem - as far as I know, they are aware of it, but don't seem to want to do anything about it. (Possibly assuming that the problem will go away when everyone upgrades).
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    If you can play through the jump point using either slow motion or switching to the alternative audio track, then this is the jumping that most people are referring to.

Yesterday it skipped across 4 minutes (on the timer) of content in a couple of jumps.

I'll try slow mo through the jump point next time it happens. Not sure what you mean by an alternative audio track: Can you clarify please?

Another problem that I get is if I manually skip the ad-breaks on any channel a short while later the Humax randomly jumps forward and loses audio sync. rewinding or pausing/resuming usually stops this.

Yes, that's when it mostly happens, after skipping through an ad-break. I'll keep a note of what other channels it happens on. Rewinding/pause and resume has no effect, it skips at the same point.
    When you tuned the Humax did you let it automatically tune or did you manually tune it? (If you need to manually tune see Big-les's guide).

Autotuned. I'll take a look at the reference you gave. Thanks a lot!!!

KC
    Forum Member
    Just found it skipping on a program from BBC1 South (first episode of The Crimson Field, 33 minutes in.)

I've found how to do slow motion so will check that next time.

Still not sure how to use the alternative sound channel you mention.

I've just done a manual tuning so will be interesting to see if the problem recurs.

KC
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not sure how to use the alternative sound channel
    The alternative sound channel is the channel available with some programmes that contains the Audio Description.

To switch to the other sound channel while watching a recording press the button which is marked with a speaker and question mark. This will display a pop-up list of audio channels. If there is a 2nd audio channel for the programme then the list will contain a 2nd row which you can then select.

The Crimson Field is broadcast with Audio Description and so you can try this out on your recording of it immediately.
    Forum Member
    Yesterday it skipped across 4 minutes (on the timer) of content in a couple of jumps.
    Sounds a lot!
    I'll try slow mo through the jump point next time it happens. Not sure what you mean by an alternative audio track: Can you clarify please?
    Sorry :blush:, should have made that clearer - follow Luis Essex's instructions.
    Yes, that's when it mostly happens, after skipping through an ad-break. I'll keep a note of what other channels it happens on. Rewinding/pause and resume has no effect, it skips at the same point.
    If you watch the break ( :o - yes I know!), does this still happen at the same point?
    Autotuned. I'll take a look at the reference you gave. Thanks a lot!!!
    KC
    Do you watch live TV through the Humax? Are there any issues with pictures freezing or breaking up when watching live? It is just possible that reception problems may give the impression of skipping. (I just did a test where I yanked the aerial out and then replaced it whilst recording [NOT RECOMMENDED] and looked at the result. A skip similar to those you described occurred but it is not possible to slow mo through it). That could suggest a problem with the aerial or the wrong transmitter. If you have done a manual retune this might help.
  • Mart1n0940Mart1n0940 Posts: 364
    Forum Member

I note suggestions above that it might be something to do with the signal from a particular station. I don't watch anything else on More 4 so it could be.

What's the latest thinking on this issue? Would be great to resolve before my wife insists we go back to Sky!!

thanks

KC

I have just noticed recently that my 9300T always skips on playback and then sends the sound out of sync at exactly the same place in "Points Of View" every week.

The spot is at the end when Jeremy Vine starts to display the phone number and email address etc.

On a more general note it seems to do this more often when some text appears on the screen

As others have said, going back and playing the same sections at x2 or x1/2 goes through OK

I don't hold out any hope for any sort of fix so I just mention this out of interest !
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to bump and old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

Occasionally on certain programmes my Humax 9300t will skip when it gets to a few seconds before the credits and jumps straight to the end of the credits. One programme it's doing this on right now is Dallas on Channel 5.

When I rewind it, it shows the skipped part of the programme has been recorded but if I try to play it after the point it skips it still jumps to the end. I can hit the slow motion button and it will play everything fine but obviously no sound so pretty pointless so I always end up missing the cliffhanger. Weird thing is it always does it at exactly the same point every single episode which would suggest that there's something which is being transmitted that causes the recording to corrupt. For example could it be the signal that's sent out that tells your PVR when a recording is about to finish or overrun so it knows when to stop recording? But if it was that how come all other recordings are ok?

Really annoying. No matter what I do I can't get the jumpy bits to play. Another programme this happens a lot on is Family Guy but this seems to skip at various points throughout the programme and not just once. I've given up trying to record it anymore as it always jumps and skips and it's unwatchable.

This problem doesn't seem to be confined to just one channel or a particular time slot but it does seem consistent to certain programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    When I rewind it, it shows the skipped part of the programme has been recorded but if I try to play it after the point it skips it still jumps to the end. I can hit the slow motion button and it will play everything fine but obviously no sound so pretty pointless so I always end up missing the cliffhanger. Weird thing is it always does it at exactly the same point every single episode which would suggest that there's something which is being transmitted that causes the recording to corrupt.
    I think it is more likely that there is something specific in the encoding of the program at this point that upsets the decoder in the Humax; as the Humax decoding is in hardware I would speculate it isn't easy to fix,
    For example could it be the signal that's sent out that tells your PVR when a recording is about to finish or overrun so it knows when to stop recording?
    There is no such signal. If using accurate recording the program will stop when the running status changes to the next program.
  • Mart1n0940Mart1n0940 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    & see my post #160 3 up from here

Apart from Family Guy which seems to be a special case and I agree is almost completely unwatchable, it appears it has something to do with text display

I also notice this quite often just as the credits are about to roll and it skips to the very end of the broadcast. Also tonight on HIGNFY, it was doing this a couple of times when Frank Skinner showed text messages on the screen as part of the broadcast

Bit like my 3 day 7 day EPG, now this model is defunct I accept that I either live with it or get an upgrade but no chance of a fix :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem on my 9300T. I think it's been like it for a few years. I also had the problem at the end of most of the latter episodes of the last series of Dallas. My daughter is also complaining that it occurs regularly on films recently recorded on Film4. My observation is that is often seems associated with dark images or possible gaps in the broadcast image. Playing at half speed (or less) through the offending gap sometimes helps. I'll never have another Humax - not fixing a known problem doesn't sound as if they care about their customers.
    Forum Member
    TerryB7272 wrote: »
    I have the same problem on my 9300T. I think it's been like it for a few years... I'll never have another Humax - not fixing a known problem doesn't sound as if they care about their customers.

I did hear a rumour once that both the BBC and Humax were looking into it. But nothing ever happened.
    I have not had a similar problem (yet) with a 2000T, and I don't think anyone reported a problem with the Fox-T2. But you might be right, it does sound as though customer care is on the decline - although I never did have a good experience of customer care with Humax. But, can you find a better PVR at the price from another manufacturer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have had the skipping on playback problem on my PVR9150T for a couple of years. Subjectively it was getting worse. Any channel, any programme could be affected.
    I thought it might be the HDD aging and getting errors, so recently installed a new SSD instead - absolutely no different, still skipping from the outset. I conclude that it is unlikely to be defects in the drive, but that the problem lies elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryB7272 wrote: »
    I'll never have another Humax - not fixing a known problem doesn't sound as if they care about their customers.
    If (and I stress If but it is my favoured theory) the problem is a hardware issue in the decoding chip, how would you expect Humax to fix it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Friend had this problem.
    He did a bit of research and discovered that the answer to his 'problem' was to replace the capacitors.
    The new ones bought over the internet cost + - £25.00 including delivery.
    It appears Humax fitted some 'suspect' ones.
    Being a PO Engineer he did the replacement without a problem.
    The Humax has worked alright since.
    This post might be of interest to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    helpoort wrote: »
    Friend had this problem.
    He did a bit of research and discovered that the answer to his 'problem' was to replace the capacitors.
    Which Humax box does he have?