Sky Viewing Card Chip burn

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced the situation where the chip in the sky viewing card appears slightly burned?

Sure I've read about this before somewhere but can't find it from searching the net.

Thanks,

Wizross

Comments

• James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever heard of it happening with the old Pace NTL Digtal boxes, but just to give some general advice, make sure that your box is well ventilated, ie the air vents/fan are not being blocked by anything. This will prevent your box from overheating which is leading to your chip/card getting fried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Mine has what looks like a little brown burn mark where the chip is situated on the card to opposite side of the chip. All seems to work fine though.

Got a Thomson box, sometimes had a couple of dvds stacked on top but the vents are on the side anyway so shouldn't really effect it. The box feels pretty warm even just in standby and nothing at all placed on it, guess just a bit of a design flaw...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, mine is well ventilated but has the little brown mark. It's been in my original Sky box and then my + box - soon to be in my HD box and is still working perfectly. Just wondered if anyone else had it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    I've seen a number of cards like that - in all cases they all still worked fine!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly we're only seeing this because of the general age of a lot of the Sky cards out there now - no analogue or previous digital issue lasted this long.