RIP Jimmy Savile

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I agree with you. I never heard any scandal about Jimmy Savile until this present business. Same with everyone I know, they're all amazed that the man they only knew from tv as a DJ and for the Fix It programme, and for his charity work, is now accused by so many people of sexual abuse. The occasional person says 'I always thought he was a bit odd' or something like that, but that's it.

Unless you're into reading celeb gossip, where would you have heard all the rumours that it seems were floating about? I've been on the Internet for years and DO read bits of celeb gossip here and there, but I never came across a word about Jimmy Savile anywhere until now. I was never interested in him, so would never have googled him - he was just an elderly man whose glory days of fame were gone by the time he died, as far as I was concerned.

Next time a famous person dies I must remember to look for the rumours asap, or risk being seen as naive, stupid or unconcerned for their possible victims.

Sickipedia would be a place to start.
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these were posted within a couple of hours of Savile's death becoming publically known.

There was another thread, I think it was called 'The Dark side of Jimmy Savile' and oh boy did you ever get howled down if you so much as insinuated that the rumours re. JS might have some substance to them. :mad:
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There have been plenty of interviews (not TV) where he has given off countless clues as to what his darker side was.

And you have to watch them all together, after knowing to actually think wow hold on. Its ok in hindsight but even on here looks like it was just hinted at but then look at all the "hinted" at threads about everyone else. some will turn out to be true, some not
  • Options
    Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rikki65 wrote: »
    You're not the only one Sarah Anne, I had no idea about JS either, I just saw him as a weirdo with a funny hairstyle and a big cigar presenting a popular childrens' programme which I seldom watched. To be honest I am shocked to learn that he was so powerful. Maybe in my younger days I wasn't into "celebrity" gossip like many people posting here seem to have been. That post calling you deluded is just plain ignorant.
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I agree with you. I never heard any scandal about Jimmy Savile until this present business. Same with everyone I know, they're all amazed that the man they only knew from tv as a DJ and for the Fix It programme, and for his charity work, is now accused by so many people of sexual abuse. The occasional person says 'I always thought he was a bit odd' or something like that, but that's it.

Unless you're into reading celeb gossip, where would you have heard all the rumours that it seems were floating about? I've been on the Internet for years and DO read bits of celeb gossip here and there, but I never came across a word about Jimmy Savile anywhere until now. I was never interested in him, so would never have googled him - he was just an elderly man whose glory days of fame were gone by the time he died, as far as I was concerned.

Next time a famous person dies I must remember to look for the rumours asap, or risk being seen as naive, stupid or unconcerned for their possible victims.

Thank you both :)
    I think too that the people calling us deluded for not knowing-should remember that if the Queen and Royal family didnt know what hope did we the great british public have haha! The man was knighted for goodness sake- that tells me there were more people who didnt know then did!
    Do wonder how the Royals feel on this matter?
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    Sir Jimmy Saville was a part of a lot of children's childhoods, allegedly!

Just reading back over this thread and some of the posts made just after he died, it is obvious that fm's on here had heard or read about his abuse of children.

It is easy to say now that yes he was an odd bloke and people should have known about his activities ...... well a lot of people did have suspicions but nothing was ever done.

It angers me that so many cast a blind eye over his dubious activities, afraid it may affect revenue to the various charities. No man is bigger than an organisation, Savile made money off the back of those charities, he purported to support, for his own depraved ego and satisfaction. :mad:

A thread on DS a few years ago came up with all sorts of murky allegations about the man, most of them quite jaw dropping. The consistency of them made it interesting reading and even at the time made me quite angry that this man was still walking around without reproach. That thread had to be pulled from DS as it got libellous, however it did make me wonder even after his death, as per my post at the time, when this would all emerge,

It is quite shameful that some 'powers that be' never took any a action to bring this despicable man to book before he descended to hell, we'll I assume that is the only place for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    It is quite shameful that some 'powers that be' never took any a action to bring this despicable man to book before he descended to hell, we'll I assume that is the only place for him.

Theres an interview where Saville even admits he wouldnt be going to a good place in the afterlife. Bet if he was looking down on the mayhem he'd caused he would laugh it off.... Sickening.....
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Anne wrote: »
    Theres an interview where Saville even admits he wouldnt be going to a good place in the afterlife. Bet if he was looking down on the mayhem he'd caused he would laugh it off.... Sickening.....

I wouldn't be surprised if he was laughing, judging by the radio and tabloid interviews he did before he died. He was a right arrogant pig in them.
  • Options
    Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of gathering all them quotes?

Well, I guess, as one of those people quoted, that it shows that many of us were very well aware of rumours around Savile, rumours that are now being substantiated as fact.

Over the years I've had many of my posts detailing allegations surrounding "The Fixer" deleted by mods on DS (Usually on the "100%... Showbiz gossip" thread, where I am sure if folks wanted to go back far enough, some veiled references to Savile could still be around).

The problem was of course that they were rumours, only Savile, those he abused, those he colluded with and those who witnessed it, knew the truth. And for whatever reasons, none of them was willing or able to talk, and those that did were not believed.

Many people expected this to come out after his death, even for it to create a scandal that would implicate many others, but I dont think anyone really knew for sure the true scale of his abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was laughing, judging by the radio and tabloid interviews he did before he died. He was a right arrogant pig in them.

Yes Ive watched several on YouTube. The clues as to his true character really were there in front of us.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Well, I guess, as one of those people quoted, that it shows that many of us were very well aware of rumours around Savile, rumours that are now being substantiated as fact.

Over the years I've had many of my posts detailing allegations surrounding "The Fixer" deleted by mods on DS (Usually on the "100%... Showbiz gossip" thread, where I am sure if folks wanted to go back far enough, some veiled references to Savile could still be around).

The problem was of course that they were rumours, only Savile, those he abused, those he colluded with and those who witnessed it, knew the truth. And for whatever reasons, none of them was willing or able to talk, and those that did were not believed.

Many people expected this to come out after his death, even for it to create a scandal that would implicate many others, but I dont think anyone really knew for sure the true scale of his abuse.

I hate the fact that he died without facing justice (if these allegations turn out to be true).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the fact that he died without facing justice (if these allegations turn out to be true).

He probably always knew he was going to :(
  • Options
    Johnny BluntJohnny Blunt Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    That's the thing though in all this. If the allegations turn out to be true. Just suppose they don't? A poster last night posted a link to the guardian about jimmy then to the side i noticed rick parrfit from status quo in an interview saying that back then they were all at it. he said that everybody at totp was groping whoever. but then went on to say that he thought there was something funny about jimmy but never saw anything. That is like a lot of people complaining about jimmy yet they never saw him do anything. Could it be there was nothing to see in the first place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the thing though in all this. If the allegations turn out to be true. Just suppose they don't? A poster last night posted a link to the guardian about jimmy then to the side i noticed rick parrfit from status quo in an interview saying that back then they were all at it. he said that everybody at totp was groping whoever. but then went on to say that he thought there was something funny about jimmy but never saw anything. That is like a lot of people complaining about jimmy yet they never saw him do anything. Could it be there was nothing to see in the first place?

People who worked at the BBC or with Jimmy saw him coming out of Caravans with young girls though.