2»

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Yeah I hate surprises :p

Glad to see Atomic and Call Me there, they are two of my favourites...I assume they did Heart of Glass too? Would of liked to see Picture This but oh well you can't win them all

Thank you :)

Still quite a few other old classics in the set, but no Picture This. I would have loved that too.

They actually did a good cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywoods Relax.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    They have made three good albums since reforming, and still put on a great live show. I believe the current tour is sold out, which shows they still have plenty of support.

That's great, I was going to see them this year but had to cancel. I meant no bands like that, with their energy, style, songwriting and musical talents can break in today's music industry.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are playing at the Isle of Wight Festival.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    That's great, I was going to see them this year but had to cancel. I meant no bands like that, with their energy, style, songwriting and musical talents can break in today's music industry.

That's true. It is a very different era to when they were stars.

I think what shows bands from back then still have it is when they go on tour, and get great support wherever they go.

I like what Blondie have done since reforming. They released a new album at the same time, and were not prepared to live on past glories, and that is still the case.

It's quite a brave move to play so much new material live when they have so many classics from the old days.
  • Options
    Allied MuffinAllied Muffin Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I've never listened to or bought any of their albums but they had some good singles. The Tide Is High, Heart of Glass, War Child and Rifle Range are some of my favourite Blondie songs.
    I've never really been a big fan of Blondie, but if I had to choose my favorite song by them, it would probably be "Heart of Glass"! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really been a big fan of Blondie, but if I had to choose my favorite song by them, it would probably be "Heart of Glass"! :cool:

Probably their most famous, but I bet most Blondie fans don't rate it as their favourite.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »

I was lucky I saw them the first time around.
    And I agree with you why can't bands like Blondie be successful these days?
  • Options
    Allied MuffinAllied Muffin Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Probably their most famous, but I bet most Blondie fans don't rate it as their favourite.
    I also loved their cover version of "The Tide Is High"! :cool::D
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the first two albums, Blondie and Plastic Letters, are brilliant, Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat are good, but then for me their sound became far too commercial.

...it could be argued that in fact they were commercial ****, changing their style to gain commercial success.

they went from punk, to new wave/60's, to disco, to rap.. i dont know if that was because they enjoyed trying differing modern styles or whether it was because they were chasing the dollars.
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria is a great track and gave them another No.1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...it could be argued that in fact they were commercial ****, changing their style to gain commercial success.

they went from punk, to new wave/60's, to disco, to rap.. i dont know if that was because they enjoyed trying differing modern styles or whether it was because they were chasing the dollars.

Steady on now. :D

They were pretty well skint by the time they broke up. Business was not their strong point.

If you listen to all their albums, you'll see that they didn't want to stick to one style. The first two albums were great, but a bit chaotic, and Mike Chapman was brought in to bring some order to their work. They had the songs, but he gave direction, and commercial nous to create Parallel Lines. Eat to the Beat followed on from that, but they changed tack again with Autoamerican, which has a wide variety of music on it, as did The Hunter. This was not chasing the dollar, as it moved them away from the style of their greatest success.

They didn't change from one style to another so much as incorporated many styles at the same time.

That continued when they reformed, and all their comeback albums have had this eclectic approach.

They have always insisted on featuring new material live as well, rather than sticking to the hits, which is a surefire winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steady on now. :D

They were pretty well skint by the time they broke up. Business was not their strong point.

If you listen to all their albums, you'll see that they didn't want to stick to one style. The first two albums were great, but a bit chaotic, and Mike Chapman was brought in to bring some order to their work. They had the songs, but he gave direction, and commercial nous to create Parallel Lines. Eat to the Beat followed on from that, but they changed tack again with Autoamerican, which has a wide variety of music on it, as did The Hunter. This was not chasing the dollar, as it moved them away from the style of their greatest success.

They didn't change from one style to another so much as incorporated many styles at the same time.

That continued when they reformed, and all their comeback albums have had this eclectic approach.

They have always insisted on featuring new material live as well, rather than sticking to the hits, which is a surefire winner.

fair comment :)
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw them at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh last night. A bloody brilliant gig. Loads of hits and the new stuff is sounding great.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was obsessed with Blondie in the 70's and 80's. Brilliant band. I was supposed to see them on this tour but sadly can't make it now. But I'll always enjoy the great music they made and still make, and Ms Harry is a true icon! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my elderst son served debbie in a hotel in north east england last week..... odd? hes had patti smith, doinne warwick, and others including emmerdale cast members..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw them at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh last night. A bloody brilliant gig. Loads of hits and the new stuff is sounding great.

I enjoyed the new stuff, and cant wait for the album to be released.