The Apu Trilogy on Film 4(12/09/2013) at 11:00

stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
Forum Member
Film 4 are showing the Apu Trilogy on the 12/09/2013, starting with "Panther Panchali" and then the following two films in the next two weeks at the same time.

I've heard a lot about it. So I am a newbie to these. Apparently, it is the greatest trilogy of all time(in cinematic terms).

The only film from Ray's that I have seen is "The Stranger".

What are people's thoughts on these films? Does it get better with each film or is there a dud in the trilogy? Should I watch them all in one go or one after the other?

Comments

• Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's great on The Simpsons.
    I'll be tuning in.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, ninja'd
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got recordings of I think two out of the three, having been aware of them from away back as 1992 when Radio Times published Barry Norman's '100 Greatest Films' and Pather Panchali was in it, but besides PP I don't know which of the next two I've got, so I'll be recording both. Whichever ones I have I have had them for years, and have never actually got round to watching :o
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Thankyou, come again! :D
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I've got recordings of I think two out of the three, having been aware of them from away back as 1992 when Radio Times published Barry Norman's '100 Greatest Films' and Pather Panchali was in it, but besides PP I don't know which of the next two I've got, so I'll be recording both. Whichever ones I have I have had them for years, and have never actually got round to watching :o

Okay. It'll be interesting hearing people's view on these films. Incidentally, Barry Norman list PP on his Top 100 films and the internet film critic James Berardinelli lists "The World of Apu"(the final film) on his Top 100. It'll be interesting to see which of the trilogy is the strongest film.
    Forum Member
    Just a bump. Aparajito is on Thursday 19th September 2013 at 11:00. The second in the trilogy.
    Forum Member
    BUMP!

Tomorrow, that is Thursday 26/0/2013 at 11:00 till 13:05 and on Film 4 will feature the last film in the trilogy(The World of Apu). I'll soon get around to watching them, and then post my thoughts up here.