Options

Anyone have chipmunks?

djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
I have 2 girl chipmunks who live in seperate cages due to them being from different breeders. One chipmunk is just over 4 years old and my other is just over a year old. Does anyone know if it would be okay for me to put them together or would they fight? I don't really wanna try it out without finding out as my youngest one is a bit of a scaredy cat and i don't want her to get hurt

Denise

Comments

• Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Yes, Alvin, Simon and Theodore
  • Options
    djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    Yes, Alvin, Simon and Theodore

I had Alvin and Theodore but sold them on, i also had Elianore
  • Options
    miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm hoping this will help you, try putting their cages right next to each-other, and see how they react through the bars. if they hiss and spit, give it about 3-4 days to see if they calm, if not then don't put them in together. if they just sniff and spend a lot of time where they can see each-other, they might be o.k, and you could try slowly introducing them i.e put one in the others cage (id recommend putting the older one into the youngsters cage as the older one may be more territorial, or if you have a spare cage, even better, neutral) if you do this, try just 5 minutes at a time, if they are o.k, just gradually increase it until you are confident they can be left alone.

(i used to work in a pet shop and this method works for most animals but especially rodents)
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfrancis wrote: »
    my youngest one is a bit of a scaredy cat

I thought you said it was a chipmunk :confused::D
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    This link may help
    http://www.mismatch.co.uk/chipmunk.htm

I've had two females that lived for just over 4 years which is a good age for them to live to. I now have two males but they have seperate cages as one was very shy and even with it's own place to sleep started sleeping on the cage floor.

Placing the cages together to see how they react is one step but if there is no reaction it's no assurance there will not be trouble when put in together. They will also need their own sleeping quarters, and possibly a larger cage
    such as an indoor avairy or large rodent cage to give them space.

This is a photo of one of my males Charlie Charlie T Chipmunk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    [/URL]

Placing the cages together to see how they react is one step but if there is no reaction it's no assurance there will not be trouble when put in together.

They will also need their own sleeping quarters, and possibly a larger cage
    such as an indoor avairy or large rodent cage to give them space.
    [/URL]
    which is why i suggested they meet for just 5 mins at a time, gradually increasing the time depending on how they react.
    i completely agree with the seperate sleeping areas. even if they get on they still may like to be alone at times. (much like most humans)
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    miss-kitty wrote: »
    which is why i suggested they meet for just 5 mins at a time, gradually increasing the time depending on how they react.
    i completely agree with the seperate sleeping areas. even if they get on they still may like to be alone at times. (much like most humans)

If you have enough room and one of your chipmunks is easy enough to handle you might be able to put one in a pet carrier and place it inside a cage.

It will give greater contact but still give the one in the pet carrier enough safety incase it is attacked.

4 though is a very good age for a chipmunk to reach so it's possible that when your younger one reaches that age it may need a companion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    If you have enough room and one of your chipmunks is easy enough to handle you might be able to put one in a pet carrier and place it inside a cage.

It will give greater contact but still give the one in the pet carrier enough safety incase it is attacked.

fantastic idea!