Options

Radio Football Commentators and reporters (2014/15 season)

Comments

• Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather the derby was picked over the big teams on 5 Live.

I observed today that KCFM broadcasts the IRN reports on Hull City matches. They weren't broadcasting any other reports. Presumably if Hull were in a lower league they wouldn't broadcast any reports.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's terrible how all the national media don't seem to want to do commentary on the west midlands local derby. Would you rather listen to a big local derby or Leicester v Man City or Chelsea v Hull?

Personally, I'd much rather have listened to West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa had it been available to me yesterday, but I say that as a West Midlander who has gone cold on the supposed "Big Six" and the "race for fourth" in recent years and has little interest in listening to routine wins for the more moneyed teams.

However, I don't think it's right to lump talkSPORT Live and Today FM in with Radio 5 Live and Absolute here - the former two stations are broadcasting to audiences outside of Britain, so are going with the games that are the most attractive to an international audience rather than a British one that has more of a feel for regional rivalries.

As for Absolute Radio, as I have discussed previously on here this season their coverage has become seemingly very London-centric - only four of their 15 Premier League commentaries so far in 2014/15 have not involved at least one London club - possibly due to their presence on FM in London, so for them to pick a Chelsea game is not a massive surprise; whereas Radio 5 Live tends to prioritise issues at the top and bottom of the table and historically has never been that great when it comes to coverage of Midlands derbies (in the days of them having national exclusivity of the Premier League, it was known for them not to broadcast standalone West Midlands derbies they had rights to, let alone ones at 3pm on Saturdays).

I'd be more inclined to criticise Sky Sports for not selecting Albion v Villa as one of their myriad of live television games - given that they picked both fixtures last season - rather than any of the national radio broadcasters who have to make a choice in the 3pm timeslot.

I know an Around the Grounds show is not the same, but if it's any consolation, during the periods of yesterday afternoon when I was listening to talkSPORT's Matchday Live the West Midlands derby seemed to be at the forefront of their programme, with them sticking with Nigel Pearson and Matt Etherington at the Hawthorns as the games all approached full-time. And internationally it was nice to see long-time BBC WM voice Dan Wheeler getting to do the online commentary on the derby.

bwfcol wrote: »
    I listened to TS earlier, does Stan Collymore have to shout his way through a game? That's all he does. He even screamed when Giroud scored in the first half over Sam's goal call, no need for it

Stan has a bad habit of speaking over the lead commentators he works with when describing goals, but it's simply not true to say that all he does is shouts through games given the amount of preparation he puts in to his co-commentaries, which puts many a summariser from other broadcasters to shame in my view.

While he's not the best co-commentator on talkSPORT, personally I'd much rather listen to someone with his obvious enthusiasm for the game than have to endure the constant whining and griping you get from the likes of Chris Waddle and Robbie Savage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Arsenal v Newcastle United - TBA and Kevin Watson

John Anderson was talkSPORT Live's commentator on Arsenal v Newcastle United with Kevin Watson.
    Today FM

Premier League
    Arsenal v Newcastle United - TBA

Peter Hood reported on Arsenal v Newcastle United for Today FM. Sister station Newstalk didn't take IRN's updates on the late game.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member

I'd be more inclined to criticise Sky Sports for not selecting Albion v Villa as one of their myriad of live television games - given that they picked both fixtures last season - rather than any of the national radio broadcasters who have to make a choice in the 3pm timeslot.
    I agree but didn't want to post it on here because it's a bit off topic as this is for the radio coverage. Which game would you rather watch Everton v QPR or a big Local ding dong derby?
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'd have no interest whatsoever in seeing or listening to West Brom v Aston Villa. It's a nothing game to me.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main point is that the game is not of a huge national interest, it's not seen as a big derby.

5Live were in the Midlands yesterday and have given Leicester, Villa and WBA decent coverage yesterday. Always remember that the one region with a decent local reporter is the Midlands with the superb Pat Murphy who gives great insight to the clubs, particularly the West Midlands teams. None of the other regions have that which is a shame.

Chris Waddle did the 3pm game yesterday and he's great, I think in general. He gets the tome about right and is a great summariser.

I actually don't see too much difference between Savage and Colloymore, both quite shouty and at times, over enthusiastic.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My main point is that the game is not of a huge national interest, it's not seen as a big derby.

5Live were in the Midlands yesterday and have given Leicester, Villa and WBA decent coverage yesterday. Always remember that the one region with a decent local reporter is the Midlands with the superb Pat Murphy who gives great insight to the clubs, particularly the West Midlands teams. None of the other regions have that which is a shame.

Chris Waddle did the 3pm game yesterday and he's great, I think in general. He gets the tome about right and is a great summariser.

I actually don't see too much difference between Savage and Colloymore, both quite shouty and at times, over enthusiastic.

its an interesting one. on the whole I agree re Savage and Collymore, though I'd say Collymore is the more knowledgeable of the 2. I can forgive him his odd bit of over the top shouting as, unlike Savage, what he is saying is usually worth hearing. The shouting over commentators (which Savage has been known to do as well as Collymore in the past) is really annoying, but Collymore is just one of a number of offenders in this regard. I was listening to a Swans game on Radio Wales a few weeks ago and Kevin Radcliffe was talking all over the commentators, not so much for goals, but for big moments, usually to state how he disagreed with the refs decisions! I think it annoys commentators also. I can't remember the exact circomstances but I remember Tony Gale who was then working with Jonathan Pearce on Capital Gold relating a story of how he'd been told off by Pearce after the game for shouting over a Chelsea winning goal in Europe in the 1990s.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Manchester United v Liverpool - Bill Rice - reports
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Simon Davies (host) Rob Phillips, Leighton James and (Newport County manager) Justin Edinburgh (SE FM & SE Wales DAB / SW FM & SW Wales DAB / North FM & NE Wales DAB & NW Wales DAB)
    Scarlets v Ulster (Champions Cup Pool 3) (1715GMT KO) - Huw Llewellyn Davies and Dafydd James (MW / Digital TV / Online)

MW / Digital TV also took the Swansea City game, until the split at 1711*

BBC Radio Cymru

Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Owain Llyr (host) Gareth Blainey and Meilir Owen (nationwide commentary)
    Scarlets v Ulster (Champions Cup Pool 3) (1715GMT KO) - Gareth Charles and Dafydd Jones Huw Llewellyn Davies and Dafydd Jones (commentary from the 34th minute)

BBC 5LSX

Scarlets v Ulster (Champions Cup Pool 3) (1715GMT KO) - Huw Llewellyn Davies and Dafydd James (as Radio Wales MW)

*There was meant to be a split of frequencies at 1710 (the time 5LSX came on air) but didn't happen, so the football commentary was also on 5LSX for a bit. The split then happened a minute later. After a few seconds of silence from Rob we then got the "If you wish to continue to listen to the football.....".

Swansea Sound

Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Antony O'Connell (commentary)
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's terrible how all the national media don't seem to want to do commentary on the west midlands local derby. Would you rather listen to a big local derby or Leicester v Man City or Chelsea v Hull?

You are of course absolutely correct.

Man,City and Chelsea were both in involved in nothing games of which I have no interest and it would not have hurt any of the national broadcasters to feature the Albion v Villa big derby game for a change or a one off and give the West Midland teams a break, instead all we get is lazy national radio highlighting the same old teams and fixtures.An Albion v Villa derby Is what I would call a '' real '' football fixture.

Personally I have given up listening to football on national radio and just listen to Radio WM because of the unequal distribution of matches/commentaries featuring the same old tiresome teams.Quite frankly the whole circus and phone football in's have become plain boring and I couldn't really careless about what happens at Man City,Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, the coverage has become dull and tedious in the extreme.

I can guarantee that if the impossible happened and a team such as WBA or Villa ever found themselves at the top of the Premier League and a Man City or Chelsea were in the bottom three, the national radio shows would still bore the rest of us to death concentrating on a Man.City or Chelsea !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are of course absolutely correct.

Man,City and Chelsea were both in involved in nothing games of which I have no interest and it would not have hurt any of the national broadcasters to feature the Albion v Villa derby game for a change or a one off and give the West Midland teams a break, instead all we get is lazy national radio highlighting the same old teams and fixtures.

Personally I have given up listening to football on national radio and just listen to Radio WM because of the unequal distribution of matches/commentaries featuring the same old tiresome teams.Quite frankly the whole circus and phone football in's have become plain boring and I couldn't really careless about what happens at Man City,Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, the coverage has become dull and tedious in the extreme.

I can guarantee that if the impossible happened and a team such as WBA or Villa ever found themselves at the top of the Premier League and a Man City or Chelsea were in the bottom three, the national radio shows would still bore the rest of us to death concentrating on a Man.City or Chelsea !

Just because YOU don't care about the top 4 it doesn't mean no one else does. The neutral football fans have the most interest in the top 6, that's how it is.

As for Midlands teams on national radio, they are obviously featured every time they are on TV which isn't that often because as it stands, neither Midlands team are attractive or interesting to watch, in fact Villa and West Brom have to be the 2 dullest teams around.

When looking at Sat 3pm games, the stations are always naturally concentrating on games that get the highest listening figures or have the biggest impact on the league table (this is more prominent towards the end of the season).
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 14/12/14

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Celtic Park on 810MW.

Scottish Premiership
    Celtic v St Mirren (1pm) - Rob Maclean, Murdo MacLeod and Billy Stark (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just because YOU don't care about the top 4 it doesn't mean no one else does. The neutral football fans have the most interest in the top 6, that's how it is.

As for Midlands teams on national radio, they are obviously featured every time they are on TV which isn't that often because as it stands, neither Midlands team are attractive or interesting to watch, in fact Villa and West Brom have to be the 2 dullest teams around.

When looking at Sat 3pm games, the stations are always naturally concentrating on games that get the highest listening figures or have the biggest impact on the league table (this is more prominent towards the end of the season).

I don't think they have been "the 2 dullest teams" and I'm sure that people would rather listen/watch a local Derby than a top 6 side playing a mid table side and winning 2 - 0 or 3 - 0. If it was 2 London teams playing each other outside the top 6 it would get more coverage and if it didn't everyone would be jumping up and down.

Where do you live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 14th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presented Sunday Exclusive from Old Trafford, followed by Call Collymore from Old Trafford

Premier League
    Manchester United v Liverpool - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Dom McGuinness conducting post-match interviews and George Cummins producing
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Ian Danter

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Manchester United v Liverpool - Alex Crook and Adam Virgo
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Phil Blacker and Paul McVeigh

Bundesliga
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen v Borussia Monchengladbach - Kevin Hatchard

Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presented Off The Ball alongside Adrian Barry

Premier League
    Manchester United v Liverpool - Dave McIntyre and Alan McLoughlin (1.30pm commentary)
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur - Nathan Murphy and Keith Andrews (4pm commentary)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear I appear to have upset you some what.

I disagree most local derbies are exciting games as was with yesterdays WBA v Villa.I did say it wouldn't have hurt as a one off.Games featuring the top teams I have heard or watched can be more than dull as they tend to cancel each other out, many a time or are so one sided it isn't worth watching or listening to.

Its a real pity that some people in radio have such little intelligence and are so lazy that instead of broadening the popular appeal of football to their own advantage, they reduce everything to blinkin' listening figures as usual.That is a real shame in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear I appear to have upset you some what.

I disagree most local derbies are exciting games as was with yesterdays WBA v Villa.I did say it wouldn't have hurt as a one off.Games featuring the top teams I have heard or watched can be more than dull as they tend to cancel each other out, many a time or are so one sided it isn't worth watching or listening to.

Its a real pity that some people in radio have such little intelligence and are so lazy that instead of broadening the popular appeal of football to their own advantage, they reduce everything to blinkin' listening figures as usual.That is a real shame in my opinion.

But when your job is on the line or future programming budget, it's understandable.

And to be fair, Absoloute were at the game with the biggest story in a fairly uninspiring set of results
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    BBC London 94.9
    Swansea City v Tottenham Hotspur Phil Parry and Bradley Allen (DAB commentary)
    R/U: London Wasps v Castres Nigel Barden and James Cannon (DAB commentary, also on BBC Five Live Sports Extra)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But when your job is on the line or future programming budget, it's understandable.

There is a massive untapped audience to be had outside of this concentration on London and this North West bubble and it is up for grabs, if only you could get through to some people but you can't tell the radio/tv industry that because there is a such a clear lack of vision,risk takers and relies too much on being cautious.They would rather exclude than include.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was 2 London teams playing each other outside the top 6 it would get more coverage and if it didn't everyone would be jumping up and down.

Not if it was QPR vs West Ham. It would be different if it was Birmingham vs Villa or West Brom vs Wolves, but it wasn't. Certainly not comparable to something like Arsenal vs Spurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not if it was QPR vs West Ham. It would be different if it was Birmingham vs Villa or West Brom vs Wolves, but it wasn't. Certainly not comparable to something like Arsenal vs Spurs.
    There on the other side of London! Lots of West Brom fans would say that the Villa match is their local derby West Brom and Aston Villa are more near to each other than QPR v West Ham.

Let's face it the reason why this game got bad coverage was because it was 2 team from Birmingham.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Baird 8
    Noel Whelan 7
    Andy Ritchie 4
    John Hendrie 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There on the other side of London! Lots of West Brom fans would say that the Villa match is their local derby West Brom and Aston Villa are more near to each other than QPR v West Ham.

Let's face it the reason why this game got bad coverage was because it was 2 team from Birmingham.

Honestly, I think you're wrong, it's nothing to do with where the teams are based, it's that it's not commercially interesting nationally and the title race will always take precedence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5Live this week

Mark Chapman presenting tonight
    Conor McManara and Phill Neville on comms

Tomorrow
    Mark Pougatch presents
    Derby vs Chelsea - John Murray & Robbie Savage

5Live Sports Extra - Sheff Utd/Southampton - Conor McManara & Kevin Phillips

Wednesday
    Mark Pougatch
    Bournemouth vs Liverpool - Alan Green and Tony Pulis

Sports Extra - Spurs vs Newcastle - Ali Bruce-Ball & Jermaine Jenas

We're just missing the 5Live reporters at the 2 Sports Extra games which is likely to be the producer at those games for Sports Extra. Plus any FA Cup 1st Round replay reporters, if there are any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly, I think you're wrong, it's nothing to do with where the teams are based, it's that it's not commercially interesting nationally and the title race will always take precedence.
    But the other poster was saying that QPR v West Ham is more of a local derby than West Brom v Villa. So for example u think that Man City v Stoke should be on over West Brom v Villa, what a silly argument.

Are u from London?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly you are right and this is what it really boils down to.

Its a sad reflection on the intelligence of broadcasters ,when a big West Midlands derby game like this gets a massive build up on local radio but is overlooked by ignorant national radio stations because they are virtually programming football supporters and listeners to think that matches that don't involve teams that are outside the title chasing top 6 or don't come from London or the North West, are irrelevant, then we might as well just all give up.The only thing that will keep these national broadcasters happy is to have a 6 or at most 8 team permanent Premier Mini League involving you know who, then they won't have to worry there little heads about any other fixtures that may interfere with their commercial interests ..........bless em.