Options

Radio Football Commentators and reporters (2014/15 season)

Comments

• Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the other poster was saying that QPR v West Ham is more of a local derby than West Brom v Villa. So for example u think that Man City v Stoke should be on over West Brom v Villa, what a silly argument.

Are u from London?

Its where the streets are paved with roubles.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Sadly you are right and this is what it really boils down to.

Its a sad reflection on the intelligence of broadcasters ,when a big West Midlands derby game like this gets a massive build up on local radio but is overlooked by ignorant national radio stations because they are virtually programming football supporters and listeners to think that matches that don't involve teams that are outside the title chasing top 6 or don't come from London or the North West, are irrelevant, then we might as well just all give up.The only thing that will keep these national broadcasters happy is to have a 6 or at most 8 team permanent Premier Mini League involving you know who, then they won't have to worry there little heads about any other fixtures that may interfere with their commercial interests ..........bless em.
    If a West Midlands side does get in the top 6 in the next few years I still don't think they will bother much because of this anti west midlands thing.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Jesus. There's no anti-West Midlands thing in this country, Villa get a lot of coverage on what I listen to and are on Sky reasonably frequently given how poor they are. West Brom don't get any more or less coverage than most other small PL teams.

This game is simply not seen as a big game outside of the local area but then games such as Newcastle/Sunderland and Villa/Birmingham are, that's how it is.

Villa got coverage when they were in the top 6, even Wolves when in League 1 got more coverage than most Championship teams on Sky/radio.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Oh Jesus. There's no anti-West Midlands thing in this country, Villa get a lot of coverage on what I listen to and are on Sky reasonably frequently given how poor they are. West Brom don't get any more or less coverage than most other small PL teams.

Do you realize how disrespectful you sound calling other teams small ?

WBA have a fantastic history as do Villa but unfortunately this is exactly the ignorant attitude the Premier League obsessed media has created and poisoned the airwaves with.

Whats the 5live commentary game tonight ? London v the North West :p

That makes a change ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you realize how disrespectful you sound calling other teams small ?

WBA have a fantastic history as do Villa but unfortunately this is exactly the ignorant attitude the Premier League obsessed media has created and poisoned the airwaves with.

Whats the 5live commentary game tonight ? London v the North West :p

That makes a change ?

Errm, is the ONLY game on tonight so of course it's on, it wouldn't matter what PL game was on Sky, selected by Sky may I add, they'd have of on

Sorry, but WBA are a small PL team in comparison to the league as it is now in terms of attendance, trophies, budget and recent success. Their history isn't anywhere near as successful' as Villa, or Spurs, or Newcastle who have all won European trophies.

I'm a Bolton fan, we're a small team, I'll accept that happily, we are where we are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Errm, is the ONLY game on tonight so of course it's on, it wouldn't matter what PL game was on Sky, selected by Sky may I add, they'd have of on

Sorry, but WBA are a small PL team in comparison to the league as it is now in terms of attendance, trophies, budget and recent success. Their history isn't anywhere near as successful' as Villa, or Spurs, or Newcastle who have all won European trophies.

I'm a Bolton fan, we're a small team, I'll accept that happily, we are where we are
    But it shouldn't have been this game 2night it should have been West Brom v Aston Villa. by the way the reason you think there is no anti midlands is because you live in the north east and QPR are a "small premier league club" playing against and mid table side.

There is an anti midlands, look at the FA cup draw when Blyth were drawn out at home they were all interested and when Birmingham City were drawn out away to them the presenter didn't say anything, and this game was not on TV, instead they put on 2 mid table side in the premier league. But Blyth v Blues is what the FA cup is all about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it shouldn't have been this game 2night it should have been West Brom v Aston Villa. by the way the reason you think there is no anti midlands is because you live in the north east and QPR are a "small premier league club" playing against and mid table side.

There is an anti midlands, look at the FA cup draw when Blyth were drawn out at home they were all interested and when Birmingham City were drawn out away to them the presenter didn't say anything, and this game was not on TV, instead they put on 2 mid table side in the premier league. But Blyth v Blues is what the FA cup is all about.

I'll back you on the FA Cup thing but I think that's a general issue more than anti-Midlands, it's been an issue for years.

I also live in the North West ;)

I find to tonight's game an odd pick by Sky, so nothing to do with radio stations, the subject of this thread.

I think most regions outside London think there's a thing against their region in the media
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll back you on the FA Cup thing but I think that's a general issue more than anti-Midlands, it's been an issue for years.

I also live in the North West ;)

I find to tonight's game an odd pick by Sky, so nothing to do with radio stations, the subject of this thread.

I think most regions outside London think there's a thing against their region in the media
    Now we agree on something I think we should end this conversion on this good point. ;-)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 14th December - talkSPORT

Premier League
    Manchester United v Liverpool - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Dom McGuinness conducting post-match interviews and George Cummins producing

Just a small point on these details, Dom McGuinness was also on pitchside reporting duty - although oddly was only called upon once late at the end of the first half and didn't update the substitutions during the second half. I listened to the game on Listen Again last night, with it being the first time I've heard Sam and Stan in quite a while but I was impressed with what was a strong commentary.

On Connor and Cyril's point about there being an anti-Midlands bias in the national football media, I think it's more of a case of it being heavily skewed in favour of (the bigger clubs in) London and the North-West. Yes, clubs in the West Midlands don't receive as much coverage as they should - but neither do teams from Yorkshire, the North-East, South Wales and East Anglia among other regions. To be fair, I think the print media is more guilty of having a London/North-West slant than the broadcast media - although that slant is true of the BBC to a certain, if perhaps not as heavy, extent. I can't comment on Sky Sports as I rarely watch their football coverage these days.

Seeing as I started this post about talkSPORT, one of the reasons why that station has always appealed to me is because there has always been strong Midlands representation on the station. Obviously you have Stan Collymore, but even before he joined the team in 2008 they had a number of distinctive Midlands voices among their team of sports correspondents - Nigel Pearson in the Black Country, Ian Danter from Birmingham, Geoff Peters in the East Midlands, Dave Rowe from Coventry and Simon Humphreys in Stoke-on-Trent to name but five.

In fact one of talkSPORT's greatest strengths has to be their network of regional correspondents, with almost every English region represented with a dedicated reporter covering that beat. As Col pointed out the other day, this is something that Radio 5 Live lacks in most regions nowardays, so it gives them a real selling point on many other broadcatsers. So while the topics of conversation on their weekday programmes could be more diverse, at least with their Around the Grounds live football coverage you feel well-represented wherever you are listening from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 15th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presented Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night with Stan Collymore, Peter Ackerley and Les Howie

Premier League
    Everton v Queens Park Rangers - Graham Beecroft

Peter Ackerley is The FA's ‎National Game Development Manager while Les Howie is their Head of Grassroots Coaching. Earlier in the day, talkSPORT took live audio from the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 draw during Colin Murray's mid-morning show with Perry Groves and Dietmar Hamann, while morning sports newsreader Ian Abrahams updated the UEFA Europa League Round of 32 draw.

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Everton v Queens Park Rangers - Tom Rennie and Clive Walker
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Steffan Garrero (studio host)

Wrexham v Southport (FA Trophy 1st round replay) - Dylan Griffiths (updates)

BBC Somerset

Richard Hoskin (studio host)

Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley (FA Cup 2nd round replay) Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet (95.5FM / Somerset DAB / Online)

Digital Radio in Somerset was switched on 2 months ago, but usually when Radio Bristol and Somerset merge for its Sports programming, Somerset DAB would take Bath in the rugby or whichever Bristol club has an away game. This is the first time you've also been able to listen to Yeovil Town via DAB.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheffield United versus Southampton - Andy Giddings and Keith Edwards
    Chester versus Barnsley - AAM, DAB and online - Jonathan Buchan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 16th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presented Kick Off alongside Clive Allen with Ray Houghton at the iPro Stadium

Capital One Cup Quarter-Finals
    Derby County v Chelsea - Nigel Pearson and Ray Houghton
    Sheffield United v Southampton - Graham Courtney

Cricket: Seventh One-Day International
    Sri Lanka v England - Jon Norman, with Jack Bannister providing end-of-innings analysis

talkSPORT Live and Bundesliga English

Bundesliga
    Bayern Munich v SC Freiburg - Tom Rennie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 16th December - BBC Radio Derby

Owen Bradley presented Sportscene from the iPro Stadium

Capital One Cup Quarter-Final
    Derby County v Chelsea - Ed Dawes and Craig Ramage (7.45pm commentary, also on Rams Player)

BBC Radio Solent

Kris Temple presented Solent Sport from Bramall Lane

Sheffield United v Southampton - Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington (7.45pm commentary, also Saints Player)

FA Trophy First Round Replay
    Havant & Waterlooville v Weymouth - Cliff Pledge

Blades Player's commentary on Sheffield United v Southampton was as per the BBC Radio Sheffield details in wns_195's post #988, with Andy Giddings and Keith Edwards on commentary, Rob Staton at pitchside and AG doubling up as the host of Football Heaven.

BBC Radio Nottingham

Robin Chipperfield presented Matchnight from Meadow Lane

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Area Semi-Final
    Notts County v Preston North End - Colin Slater and Dean Yates (7.45pm commentary, also on Magpie Player)

FA Cup Second Round Replay
    Mansfield Town v Cambridge United - Charlie Slater

Jonathan Breeze and Will Hayhurst provided the commentary on Notts County v Preston North End for PNE Player.

At the end of the commentary, Breeze (normally of Radio City) mentioned that Anthony Wareing (who was covering Bury v Luton Town for BBC Radio Manchester tonight as per his Twitter) would be on PNE Player commentary duty for Preston's match at Peterborough United on Saturday.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the end of the commentary, Breeze (normally of Radio City) mentioned that Anthony Wareing (who was covering Bury v Luton Town for BBC Radio Manchester tonight as per his Twitter) would be on PNE Player commentary duty for Preston's match at Peterborough United on Saturday.

BBC Radio Manchester

Luton Town v Bury - Ian Cheeseman - commentary
    Rochdale v Aldershot - Jack Dearden - reports

Anthony Wareing covered the match at Bury ten days ago, but not tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    BBC Somerset

Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley (FA Cup 2nd round replay) Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet (95.5FM / Somerset DAB / Online)

After the game, Drivetime presenter Jack Murley was heard from interviewing fans and whatnot. Chris and, er Chris' commentary was also used on the looped red button highlights last night (the only other game shown was Chester FC v Barnsley)

They also overheard 5 Live saying that Yeovil's third round tie against Manchester United in the new year would be a commentary on that station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio 5 Live (Also via 'Midweek Final Score' on the Red Button (601, etc))

Derby County v Chelsea (Capital One Cup Quarter Final) - Mark Pougatch (host) John Murray and Robbie Savage
    Sheffield United v Southampton (Capital One Cup Quarter Final) - Alistair Yeomans (Conor McNamara and Kevin Phillips on 5LSX)
    Chester FC v Barnsley (FA Cup 2nd round replay) - Johnathan Legard
    Rochdale v Aldershot (FA Cup 2nd round replay) - Peter Slater
    Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley (FA Cup 2nd round replay) - Alistair Bruce-Ball

FA Trophy 1st round replays and the Notts County v Preston North End FLT semi final were also shown via the 'vidiprinter' at half and full time(s), with the FIFA Club World Cup semi final between Cruz Azul and Real Madrid just having its result shown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Wareing covered the match at Bury ten days ago, but not tonight

Thanks for the correction Graham - I looked at a recent messages on his Twitter feed without checking the dates!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 17th December - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: League Cup Special from White Hart Lane with Alvin Martin at Dean Court

Capital One Cup Quarter-Finals
    AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool - Jim Proudfoot and Alvin Martin (7.45pm commentary), with Jon Norman producing
    Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United - Ian Abrahams and Mark Saggers

talkSPORT Live

AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool - John Anderson and Matt Lawrence

Bundesliga
    Borussia Dortmund v VfL Wolfsburg - Kevin Hatchard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 17th December - BBC Radio Solent

Adam Blackmore presented Solent Sport from Dean Court

AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool - Kris Temple and John Williams (7.45pm commentary, also on Cherries Player)

BBC Hereford & Worcester and BBC Radio Humberside

Trevor Owens presented BBC Hereford & Worcester Sport from Aggborough

FA Cup Second Round Replay
    Worcester City v Scunthorpe United - Keith Hall, Dan Johnson and Trevor Owens (7.45pm commentary, also available on The Iron Player)

BBC Radio Humberside and The Iron Player on the Scunthorpe United official website took BBC Hereford & Worcester's commentary on tonight's epic FA Cup Replay due to technical difficulties and a lack of ISDN capacity at Aggborough, which saw their commentary broadcast via a phone line.

Radio Humberside had James Hoggarth doing continuity back in their studios, with their intended commentary team of Mike White and George Kerr reporting from Aggborough during the half-time interval.

Hall and Johnson were swapping over in the lead commentary roles midway through each half, as they have done previously on Worcester City's FA Cup run including their Coventry City commentary that was used on TV, although on this occasion they had host Trevor Owens as a 90 minute co-commentator as well as whichever one of them wasn't leading the commentary (Hall opened each half and extra-time, with Johnson doing the anchor legs).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris and, er Chris' commentary was also used on the looped red button highlights last night (the only other game shown was Chester FC v Barnsley)

I've just caught up with the highlights of this week's seven FA Cup Second Round Replays on the BBC Sport website, which took BBC Local Radio commentaries (including off-air goal calls) on four of the matches. They were:

Mansfield Town v Cambridge United - BBC Radio Nottingham - Charlie Slater
    Rochdale v Aldershot Town - BBC Radio Manchester - Jack Dearden
    Tranmere Rovers v Oxford United - BBC Radio Merseyside - Derek Jones and Andy Doyle
    Yeovil Town v Accrington Stanley - BBC Somerset - Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet

For each game covered in this way, they took the home team's local radio commentary regardless of who won. For the other three replays, there was "no commentary available" for Luton Town v Bury, while BT Sport 1's live TV commentaries were taken for Chester v Barnsley (with Steve Bower and Danny Higginbotham) and Worcester City v Scunthorpe United (Ian Darke and Adam Virgo).
    They also overheard 5 Live saying that Yeovil's third round tie against Manchester United in the new year would be a commentary on that station.

That's to be expected really - I imagine that Radio 5 Live will be providing commentary on all five games selected for national TV coverage.

Jim Proudfoot mentioned during his commentary on Bournemouth v Liverpool last night that talkSPORT will be doing commentary on the five TV games - Dover Athletic v Crystal Palace, Yeovil Town v Manchester United, Arsenal v Hull City, AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool and Everton v West Ham United. He also confirmed that they'll be doing an Around the Grounds show rather than commentary on FA Cup Third Round Saturday.

Jim said that he'll be covering both the Dover v Palace and Wimbledon v Liverpool games for them - I wonder who else will be providing commentary for them during Third Round weekend? Might Sam Matterface cover one of the other Sunday games plus Everton v West Ham on the Tuesday? talkSPORT have only used two commentators other than Jim and Sam on live games so far this season - Nigel Adderley and Andrew McKenna - so it'll be interesting to find out if they both get live games, or if they call upon one or more of the other voices they used on the FA Cup last season, who were Nigel Pearson, Ian Danter, John Roder and Gary Taphouse.

There's a trailer running on talkSPORT's TuneIn service at the moment which states that talkSPORT will be providing commentary on (I think) over 30 games from the FA Cup this season. I don't think they'll quite reach that target - last season they covered the five TV games from both the Third and Fourth Rounds plus two replays from each of those rounds, then six Fifth Round games including a 3pm kick-off, all four quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final. They didn't cover one of the Fifth Round Replays and there wasn't any Sixth Round Replays, which meant they did 27 FA Cup commentaries in total. So to hit 30 FA Cup commentaries this season they'd need to be able to cover two replays per round as well as some 3pm kick-offs from Rounds 3-5.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Millwall v Bolton Wanderers - Jack Dearden and Simon Charlton - commentary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol / Somerset

Dan Albutt (studio host)

Bristol Rovers v Gateshead - Chris Wise and Keith Brookman (94.9FM / 95.5FM / 104.6FM / Bristol & Bath DAB / Online)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 19th December - talkSPORT

Matt Holland presenting Kick Off: The Players Lounge alongside Dean Ashton

Championship
    Millwall v Brighton & Hove Albion - Elliot Cook

Darts: PDC World Championship 2015
    Alexandra Palace, London - Dan Dawson

talkSPORT Live and Bundesliga English

Bundesliga
    Mainz 05 v Bayern Munich - Kevin Hatchard

107.4 Tower FM

Paul Higgs presenting Tower FM Sport from the studio

Championship
    Millwall v Bolton Wanderers - Chris Price and Trevor Baxter (7.45pm commentary)

Trevor Baxter is the Manchester Evening News' Bolton Wanderers correspondent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 19th December - BBC Essex

Glenn Speller presenting Football Extra from Roots Hall

League Two
    Southend United v Burton Albion - Glenn Speller, Nick Alliker and Adrian Clarke (commentary on 95.3FM, DAB and Blues Player)

Speller and Alliker are sharing the commentary duties (GS opening, NA closing legs) with Arsenal TV and talkSPORT Live's Adrian Clarke the sole co-commentator.

BBC Radio Derby

Ed Dawes presenting Sportscene from the studio

League Two
    Southend United v Burton Albion - Joe Shennan and Tony Bentley (commentary on 1116AM, DAB and Brewers Player)

BBC Radio Merseyside

James Mountford presenting Merseyside Sport from the studio

League Two
    Tranmere Rovers v Cambridge United - Derek Jones and Andy Doyle (commentary, also on Tranmere Player)

BBC Radio Cambridgeshire

Peter Swan presenting Friday Night Football from the studio

League Two
    Tranmere Rovers v Cambridge United - Mark Johnson and Doug Shulman (commentary, also on United Player)

BBC Radio Humberside

Matt Dean presenting Humberside Sport from Blundell Park

Conference Premier
    Grimsby Town v Forest Green Rovers - John Tondeur and Alan Buckley (commentary, also on Mariners Player)

Gas Player on the Bristol Rovers official website is taking BBC Radio Bristol's commentary on Bristol Rovers v Gateshead in the Conference Premier, as detailed in Ian C's post #999.

Lions Player and Wanderers Player on the respective Millwall and Bolton official websites are producing in-house commentaries on tonight's game between the two sides. Speaking of which...
    Friday 19th December - talkSPORT

Matt Holland presenting Kick Off: The Players Lounge alongside Dean Ashton

Championship
    Millwall v Brighton & Hove Albion - Elliot Cook

That should read Millwall v Bolton Wanderers - Brighton were Millwall's opponents last Friday!