Options

How many people here have managed to get into work through the snow?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
Don't know about you lot but I don't believe the bollocks spouted by the media about people struggling to get to work and using the snow as an exscuse.

I've managed to get in (I've got a good reason for not going in to day) all week.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Don't know about you lot but I don't believe the bollocks spouted by the media about people struggling to get to work and using the snow as an exscuse.

I've managed to get in (I've got a good reason for not going in to day) all week.

Not me, I have the Pennines between me and work!
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    come on then ... tell us how you did it!

i havent made it in to work for 2 days .... i can get to london but im not even risking it because i dont fancy being stuck on a train or at a station for hours on end not knowing whats going on!!
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have! But we're off tomorrow as the snow is just too deep tomorrow (I Iive in Northumberland and work in Newcastle).
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Moonbean wrote: »
    I have! But we're off tomorrow as the snow is just too deep tomorrow (I Iive in Northumberland and work in Newcastle).

My husband's managing director drove to Coventry from their head office in Hexham today - it took 9 hours. He stayed an hour is on the way home :eek:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister's boyfriend got threatened by N Power that if he didn't get into work, he wouldn't get paid. Bloody swines. They even had the bare faced cheek to tell him to get the bus in. Ah, yeah. If the buses get stopped in Durham, he'll be stranded. I also doubt that the taxis would take him on a long-ish journey either.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, not a problem here. We only have about 9" of snow. :)
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made it, but I only work in town, a five-minute bus ride away and live on the main road/bus route.

Took me an hour and a half to do that journey back home yesterday!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    My sister's boyfriend got threatened by N Power that if he didn't get into work, he wouldn't get paid. Bloody swines.

That's the same case with most people isn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cjw wrote: »
    That's the same case with most people isn't it? :confused:

Same goes for them as well then.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm lucky in that I only live about 2 1/2 miles from work - I walked in yesterday (which apparently amazed everyone else who'd made it in!) and then walked home again when they closed us and sent us home at lunchtime. I could have walked in today but we were closed again.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with previous years there will be people who genuinely cannot get in to work but there will be a lot that use the snow as an excuse to skive a day off.
  • Options
    DevilGirlDevilGirl Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    i got in yestoday my dad took me in

i dont work wed or thur anyway
  • Options
    Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I got to work ok, my train was on time in both directions and all my colleagues managed to get to work on time today.

I don't doubt that many people are simply being lazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with previous years there will be people who genuinely cannot get in to work but there will be a lot that use the snow as an excuse to skive a day off.

You're right there.
  • Options
    FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to get to the office then, no, I wouldn't have made it today. But as we are all set up to work from home, no questions asked whatever the weather, I worked comfortably nice and snug next to the woodburner.

I feel very sorry for those that have had horrible commutes and for those who are genuinely stuck and getting tarred as skivers. Its pretty grim round here, snow on pavements is well over knee height and you'd have to be a right fit bugger to make a good distance in that.
  • Options
    yoyo_ninja_girlyoyo_ninja_girl Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I managed to get in this morning, I live quite close to work but the snow was very bad this morning, I live in Sheffield and all public transport except for trams have been taken off since last night.

I wont be going to work tomorrow though as they have closed the building I work in.
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to get in this morning.

I would hope so........youre a ninja.:D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My manager has a conscience and morals, and actually cares about the safety of her employees. She told me not to bother attempting to get to work.

If I did, the only way would be ten miles down a canal. The next thing you'll be seeing is a thread entitled "Forum member tghe-retford found dead in canal". And before anyone jokes, I just heard on the news now that a young woman died after accidentally falling into a lake.

Is someone's life worth far less than making a profit? I think some people need to look into their consciences and seriously think about that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I got to work fine yesterday, bit slippery but just took it slow. It took 35 mins instead of the usual 20 mins at high speed :D

However coming home took NO JOKE 5 hours to do the same journey not inlcuding the walk, as I didn't get to drive all the way. It got too icey. :eek:

So whether or not I could find my car this morning, I just wasn't interested in going to work today. (Hope my cars Ok) I'm sure I won't get paid. Might try tomorrow or at least go have a look at my car, see if it's still ok. :confused:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do so many people live so far away from where they work:rolleyes:
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday I didn't turn in as the bus I normally get didn't turn up and the other buses were running 1and half hours late.

Tuesday I was on my way to training course when they telephoned me and said that they were closing for the day

Today I managed to make it to my training course, but was sent home at 10am because conditions were made unbearable because of the snow and thunder and lightning.

We have been told that if the weather gets worse then to phone in and just to let them know.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The snow hasn't been that bad in Worcestershire so far (not the southern part anyway). The ice can be a problem on untreated roads and pavements though. I haven't had any problems getting into work so far, but then it's only 15 minutes drive on main roads. It would be a different story if we got more snow, but I'm set up to work from home if that happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Because my sister got him the job? Why the need for THAT emotion?
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do you think they do? Come on it should be obvious even to you. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because they live half way between them and their partner's work
    Because they can't afford the rent/house prices nearer to their work
    Because they live closer to their families and support systems than their work
    Because they have changed jobs since they chose their home and for whatever reason are not in a position to move
    Because they are on limited contracts so moving closer would not be sensible

You want any more?