Options

Battleship Rocks!

cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
Forum Member
Just returned from seeing this and have to say was very impressed - special fx were amazing and it had a very entertaining storyline. Loved the new look aliens too, glad they didn't use the 'alien, ID4 type looking alien' and it don't get any better than a thunderous ACDC soundtrack. Have to admit my favourite bit was the USS Missouri prep and the retired soldiers! Here's hoping for Battleship 2.:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely loved it. I don't think i've ever seen something so entertaining for a long time.

Yes it's cheesy, yes it's OTT but that's pretty much the point.

Some proper laugh out loud moments as well as some pretty decent battle scenes as well.

It was further enhanced by sitting in a packed cinema house full of youngsters who were completely sold by it so you couldn't help but to enjoy it for that as well.

I'd love to see someone seriously try and pick holes in the plot though - obviously there are many glaring ones, but I just wonder if there's someone out there who takes themselves that seriously that they'll complain ? :)
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely loved it. I don't think i've ever seen something so entertaining for a long time.

Some proper laugh out loud moments as well as some pretty decent battle scenes as well.

It was further enhanced by sitting in a packed cinema house full of youngsters who were completely sold by it so you couldn't help but to enjoy it for that as well.

I'd love to see someone seriously try and pick holes in the plot though - obviously there are many glaring ones, but I just wonder if there's someone out there who takes themselves that seriously that they'll complain ? :)

*steps forward* :cool:
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t looks dire mindless garbage. blockbusters don't have to be an insult to your intelligence. most seem to be these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

most people would complain about plot holes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue people coming forward crying "But it's only a popcorn movie!"

Yes, it might be, but that doesn't mean they should insult our intelligence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_me wrote: »
    Cue people coming forward crying "But it's only a popcorn movie!"

Which it is ..
    mr_me wrote: »
    .. but that doesn't mean they should insult our intelligence.

So when you go and see a film like this, if you go and see this sort of film at all, you expect multi layered characters and plot development ?
    *steps forward* :cool:

I'd almost want to pay for you to go and see it then :)

Tell you what, i'll start you off with one ..
    The windshield of the alien spacecraft is made out of glass, so the two heroes shoot it out with sniper rifles so that the aliens are blinded by the sun.

Knock yourself out :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes you should expect proper characters and plot development in ANY film
  • Options
    DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked awful from trailers, and I was dragged along to see it....

LOVED it!
    Hugely entertaining and much better then all 3 Transformers movies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »

for the large part, I agree, but for this type of film i think it's perfectly acceptable to just to skim the surface in favour of on-screen action and excitement.

but hey, it is what it is. some people base their movie going decisions on the trailer, some soley on the reviews and some people just go and see the film anyway. each to their own :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just got back from seeing it (haven't read any reviews, so this is purely my opinion), and i thought it was awful. I'm surprised to see positive responses in this thread, but each to their own i guess. The storyline and characterization was almost non existant, if you think that the Transformers movies had thin storylines then this is anorexic, and for a film so full of explosions, i found it extremely dull and boring.

2/10 (seriously, i hated it, and that's coming from someone who likes the "turn off your brain" nonsense of the Transformers movies).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what attracted you to the film out of interest ?

genuine question - not trying to start a row
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw this yesterday. I loved it. Special effects were great. And to answer the question of what attracted me to it. I saw the trailer and thought i think i`ll go see this because it looks good.
  • Options
    JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So....tempted...

I actually will go and see this - with these type of movies I'm not too overly concerned about the story (and even logic), it just looks like a complete action-fest which is fine with me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night. Wasn't expecting to like it (I only wanted to watch it as I'm a fan of Taylor Kitsch and Alexander Skarsgard) but was genuinely really impressed. Much more of a plot than I expected, the whole film had a really good sense of humour, and the action scenes were all very stylishly done. I'd genuinely recommend this to everyone (who doesn't take themselves too seriously).

Densino wrote: »
    It looked awful from trailers, and I was dragged along to see it....

LOVED it!
    Hugely entertaining and much better then all 3 Transformers movies

Completely agree with everything you said :)
    PJ68 wrote: »

Not really. That's not the definition of a film.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »
    So....tempted...

I actually will go and see this - with these type of movies I'm not too overly concerned about the story (and even logic), it just looks like a complete action-fest which is fine with me.

Its got an awesome soundtrack and great effects and lots of action. would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    long time lurker, first time poster.

Saw this last night with my 13yr old step son he was engrossed actaully leaning forward to watch the film, he gave it a thumbs up for entertainment value.
    Have to say i enjoyed it, didnt expect much, except cheesy lines, big explosions. :)
    loved the soundtrack, cant go far wrong with ACDC imo.

I loved the aliens and the premise behind their actions, although it did ear on the side of look aliens - kill them!
    Although they only appear to defend themselves.

All in all, good popcorn flick and good taster for the big blockbusters to come :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole film could be summed up in 5 words.
    Extremely dumb, but great fun.

I can think of several plot holes you could push an elephant through, but what's the point?

Never going to be my film of the year, but it was entertaining enough.

Surprised the studio didn't push this for 3D though, as it seemed more suited to that format than many others.

My only real complaint... Nobody said "You sunk my Battleship!!" in a shrill British voice. Although one character does say "You won't sink this Battleship".

And yes, Without spoiling any "plot" points, they do manage to shoe-horn a sort-of Battleship game into the film at one point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didn't actually cotton on initially that the projectiles that the alien ships were firing were based on the pins you use on the battleship board game :o
  • Options
    NickClapperNickClapper Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Couldn't even get myself excited enough to go to a free press screening...

Sent someone else instead and they hated it, so I felt vindicated!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    what attracted you to the film out of interest ?

genuine question - not trying to start a row

I thought the trailers made it look like it would be a dumb-fun action movie in the same style of the Transformers movies, Peter Berg is usually reliable as a director and Liam Neeson and Taylor Kitsch are both very watchable. Despite his performance here, Kitsch is actually a pretty good actor (he was great in Friday Night Lights and to a lesser extent John Carter) but this film does him no favours at all, although i think the problem here was the incredibly poor script.

I keep seeing people say that you don't need amazing characterization for a film to be enjoyable, but you really do need some sort of attachment to the characters within a film in order to actually care about their fate (if you like/hate a character then you care about what happens to them, it gets you emotionally invested in the film). It's all well and good having a brainless action movie, but if you don't care about a single character then the screenwriter has failed on a fundamental level, as is the case here (imo). I mean, the characterization on the Autobots in Transformers 1-3 is better than any of the work in this movie (seriously!). Likewise, the action scenes weren't even particularly good, at least in the Transformers movies you could rely on Michael Bay to make shit blowing up look good (say what you want about Dark of the Moon, but the last hour is undeniably spectacular to watch), but here it was just endless shots of ships turning and rotating their turrets, followed by an inevitable explosion. No tension whatsoever.

Having had 24 hours to think about it, i still thought it was awful and one of the worst films i've ever paid to see at the cinema (no exaggeration, i'd put it up there with M. Night Shyamalan's Lady In The Water, if i hadn't just paid £8.60 for a ticket then i would have walked out), but as i've said, it's totally fine that you and others have found some enjoyment from the film, i'm glad someone was able to! :)
  • Options
    cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I thought the trailers made it look like it would be a dumb-fun action movie in the same style of the Transformers movies, Peter Berg is usually reliable as a director and Liam Neeson and Taylor Kitsch are both very watchable. Despite his performance here, Kitsch is actually a pretty good actor (he was great in Friday Night Lights and to a lesser extent John Carter) but this film does him no favours at all, although i think the problem here was the incredibly poor script.

I keep seeing people say that you don't need amazing characterization for a film to be enjoyable, but you really do need some sort of attachment to the characters within a film in order to actually care about their fate (if you like/hate a character then you care about what happens to them, it gets you emotionally invested in the film). It's all well and good having a brainless action movie, but if you don't care about a single character then the screenwriter has failed on a fundamental level, as is the case here (imo). I mean, the characterization on the Autobots in Transformers 1-3 is better than any of the work in this movie (seriously!). Likewise, the action scenes weren't even particularly good, at least in the Transformers movies you could rely on Michael Bay to make shit blowing up look good (say what you want about Dark of the Moon, but the last hour is undeniably spectacular to watch), but here it was just endless shots of ships turning and rotating their turrets, followed by an inevitable explosion. No tension whatsoever.

Having had 24 hours to think about it, i still thought it was awful and one of the worst films i've ever paid to see at the cinema (no exaggeration, i'd put it up there with M. Night Shyamalan's Lady In The Water, if i hadn't just paid £8.60 for a ticket then i would have walked out), but as i've said, it's totally fine that you and others have found some enjoyment from the film, i'm glad someone was able to! :)

Hey don't knock Lady in the Water - this is M Night at his best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I thought the trailers made it look like it would be a dumb-fun action movie in the same style of the Transformers movies,

I don't normally re-quote large posts, for the record :).

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's quite interesting to hear your take.

For me, for a film like this, it's more about the ride than anything else. So that's why i'm perfectly happy with some generic, fluffy characterization.

I'll spoiler of this in case anyone still hasn't seen it.
    So we have the screw-up brother?. Of course we immediately know he's going to become the hero and save the day

I don't feel it's necessary to become attached to any of the characters if you're just going for the spectacle.

For the sake of argument, when you look at a film like The Truman Show, I think the characterization is vital because you need to care about Truman and his plight, and you need to want him to figure it all out.

That's probably why I actually cried at the end of it as well :)

So it's not to say i'm completely against the idea of characterization and multi layered storytelling because I'm not - in an ideal world we'd be able to get it in to most films because I do think it enhances your experience if you care about the characters and the plot holds your attention.

But when you've got a film that is, for all intents and purposes, nothing more than an arcade game on screen, then I can certainly appreciate it for what it is and enjoy the ride for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Saw this earlier, thought it was almost as bad as Transformers, cannot believe that Liam Neeson signed up to this, worst film of the year 1/5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Overall, I enjoyed the film. I'm usually one who can enjoy seeing your standard mindless action movie if it's a good thrill ride, and that's what I'd categorise this one as. It was still a very good watch though and some of the action scenes were very good.

Parts of it were just too predictable at times though. You could see that the main guy was obviously going to turn himself around and be a hero, while you could see who was going to come out on top by the end. There were only one or two events in it that I was surprised by at all, however it was still a good thrill ride that I enjoyed anyway.