Options

Bizarre variation in fibre download speed

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
A few months ago, we had fibre optic broadband installed and the download speed went up dramatically. However, one odd side-effect was that whenever the phone rang and the call was answered, the internet cut out for between 20 and 30 seconds, then resumed even if the call was still ongoing. When the call was ended, the internet was again interrupted for 20 to 30 seconds. I have posted about this problem before, but this is a new aspect of it.

We are with Plus Net (who in my view are very good and I can recommend them). BT Openreach engineers have three times checked our installation (the installation was done under contract by the 'Kelly Group' (don't know the proper names, perhaps that's it) who don't seem to enjoy a great reputation) and they also checked all the cabling etc to the little green box near the house. They could find nothing amiss.

We have a wireless phone, and two of the engineers suggested the problem might be to do with the wireless signal from the phone. So I bought another wireless phone and installed that instead. I came back from work (I have to work away from home for four days a week) and this morning found the speed very slow.

My son has just told me that the speed was fine until the first phone call was answered on the new wireless phone. He says this time the broadband connection was not interrupted, but the download speed plummeted and did not recover, and we are now averaging just 2mb/s (before fibre optic is was around 7/8mb/s and after as high as 45mb/s. What is most bizarre is the upload speed has remained unaffected at an average 12mb/s.

I am now thinking of putting back the old wireless phone and simply living with the old problem, but I thought I might tap a few brains here as well for any suggestions as to what might be going on.

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some wireless phones use the same band as WiFi. Try swapping the channel or upgrading to a "N" wifi system.
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I would purchase a cheap £4 corded phone from Tesco's. Plug that in.

Remove your main faceplate and insert a filter into the test socket now use phone and Fibre.

This should identify if there are any problems with your internal wiring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I get huge variations too - I'm with BT Infinity extra and occasionally (I think Saturdays are worst) I slow right down to 10mbs+ from my usual 60mbs+.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    A few months ago, we had fibre optic broadband installed and the download speed went up dramatically. However, one odd side-effect was that whenever the phone rang and the call was answered, the internet cut out for between 20 and 30 seconds, then resumed even if the call was still ongoing. When the call was ended, the internet was again interrupted for 20 to 30 seconds. I have posted about this problem before, but this is a new aspect of it.

We are with Plus Net (who in my view are very good and I can recommend them). BT Openreach engineers have three times checked our installation (the installation was done under contract by the 'Kelly Group' (don't know the proper names, perhaps that's it) who don't seem to enjoy a great reputation) and they also checked all the cabling etc to the little green box near the house. They could find nothing amiss.

We have a wireless phone, and two of the engineers suggested the problem might be to do with the wireless signal from the phone. So I bought another wireless phone and installed that instead. I came back from work (I have to work away from home for four days a week) and this morning found the speed very slow.

My son has just told me that the speed was fine until the first phone call was answered on the new wireless phone. He says this time the broadband connection was not interrupted, but the download speed plummeted and did not recover, and we are now averaging just 2mb/s (before fibre optic is was around 7/8mb/s and after as high as 45mb/s. What is most bizarre is the upload speed has remained unaffected at an average 12mb/s.

I am now thinking of putting back the old wireless phone and simply living with the old problem, but I thought I might tap a few brains here as well for any suggestions as to what might be going on.

You need to test this scenario properly on a computer that is connected via LAN cable.

If it still happens then it is unlikely to be the phone that is at fault.