2014 Celebs. Who do we think?

Comments

• edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My...my..what do we have here :o:o ? The show hasn't properly started and people are already bickering and ranting :D:D:D

Ahhhh...Strictly.. how I have missed you :D:D.. I can't wait :D:D:D
  • Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please for the love of God NOT Helen Skelton. She has to be the most annoying person on earth. Why she's annoying everyone on TV I'll never know. I'd like a bit of eye candy this year. Mark Wright is nice, however an older celebrity such as Wee Matt the welsh guy out of this morning. 😄
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Alastair Cook?
    who's Alistsir Cook? I can only think of one and he present Letter to America on radio and if alive would be over a hundred!
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    who's Alistsir Cook? I can only think of one and he present Letter to America on radio and if alive would be over a hundred!

I think the one being talked about here is the England cricketer (is he still the captain)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do like their cricketers on SCD. What about Davina's Irish husband. Mathew something or other. He's nice.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/davina-mccall-turns-down-strictly-come-dancing

Not a rumour, I'm afraid, but a definite no. Davina's turned them down (and aren't we all upset by that)
    Indeed.

I am beside myself, I cannot contain my sorrow.

No Shouty McCall, No Strictly.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Indeed.

I am beside myself, I cannot contain my sorrow.

No Shouty McCall, No Strictly.

Instead we've probably got shouty, convicted football hooligan, self styled 'food expert' and brawler Greg Wallace......oh and 'TOWIE star' Mark Wright.
    edy10 wrote: »
    My...my..what do we have here :o:o ? The show hasn't properly started and people are already bickering and ranting :D:D

Ahhhh...Strictly.. how I have missed you :D:D.. I can't wait :D:D:D

I'm not really looking forward to it after last year and because of some of the 'celeb' rumours this year....... but on second thoughts there is something to look forward to......the pros.......especially lovely little Jannette. What a fiesty lady she is! I'm really hoping she gets a contender :D
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    I think the one being talked about here is the England cricketer (is he still the captain)?

He is (only just) but given he's still playing, and has been universally panned for his performances, I doubt he'll have time out of training to do 10 weeks of dancing...
  • ClartemClartem Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think it would be a forgone conclusion that Tom would win - for a start we don't know if he can dance or not but even if he does have some ability I still don't think he'd be a runnaway winner. Remember people were saying Nicky Byrne was going to win before his series started and he barely scraped through to the quarter finals.

Also Tom has recently come out as gay & I know that shouldn't matter but I'm guessing that not everyone is liberal/tolerant so that might have affected some of his fan base - although equally he could have gained some fans because of it.

Personally I'd find it quite refreshing to see a gay contestant that producers couldn't or shouldn't present in a stereotypical way - that's why I'm intesrested in David Ames possibly doing the show.

I am aware from your previous postings that it doesn't matter so much to you if you've heard of the celeb contestants or not but with respect peeve I think you may have missed my points as well - it not just a matter of me disliking certain 'celebs' - there's been plenty of celebs I haven't liked but I haven't argued they shouldn't be or shouldn't have been on the show because whether I like them or not I don't think they are really bad examples of 'celebrity'. To me it does matter what they're 'celebrated' for - Strictly is not just about the dancing - each dance is only about under two minutes anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the length of time and dance content of the dances even further it was so dumbed down in many instances last series. However, that aside it's getting to know the 'celebs' too that's an important part of the show - and I just don't agree that it doesn't matter if they showcase poor examples of 'celebrity' - given that strictly is 'reality tv' - we know the producers have the power to present the contestants they favour in a positive light and the ones they're not so bothered about in a less than flattering light.

I don't want to see Mark Wright on the show - he's appeared in reality tv - it's one of his main claims to fame - so he knows how to play the reality tv game and I suspect if he does make the line up and turns out to have some ability - the producers will throw their weight behind hyping him up - excuse me if I find it offensive and nauseating to see someone like him on the show - to me he's not come to the public eye through any credible achievements - Strictly is a family show and I just don't think it's a good idea because whether we like it or not there are some impressionable young people who do look up to these 'celebs' - I remember someone on here got ripped apart on this forum last year for daring to suggest that Abbey Clancey was a bad role model because of her type of 'celebrity' and because she was papped legless after winning the glitterball - it won't surprise you to know that I agree with that poster, to me Abbey is a poor example of 'celebrity' - I wasn't someone who was endeared by her 'personality' - she's another one like Mark Wright who became famous through dating someone famous and through 'reality tv' and knowing how to play the game - to me she was just a mediocre dancer who made a bit or progress - but listening and watching just the judges and VTs - you'd think she was the second coming of Ginger Rodgers who went on an epic 'journey' - I guess enough people bought into that story line but I found it disingenuous - so to me the show is becoming less and less credible not just because of the type of 'celebrities' they're choosing to champion but the way the producers are running the show.

I don't agree there should be skewing of line up and emphasis on getting a male or female winner - I hesitate to use the oft used 'Year of the man/women' because last time I used that phrase I got sneered at by someone out there who seems to think they've got copywright on it - even though it doesn't sound original in the first place. < sneerers are gonna sneer :p > I know strictly has never been 'fair' - but last year it just took the biscuit - although I liked most of the male cast the fact is there wasn't any male contenders and the way they micro managed it to get the gender and sort of 'winner' they wanted - to me that made it a farce. I'm going to be seriously disillusioned if they do the same this year but this time for the males to get a male winner.

As for Greg Wallace I suspect if he does the show - the BBC will throw their weight behind hyping him up and doing an excellent PR job for him because he's one of their own and they want him there to publicise bbc brand Masterchef - I fully suspect he'll be on his 'best behaviour' so as to please his bosses and so he in turn can soften his image because apparently he wants to 'reinvent himself' - he can be all sweetness and light on the show for all I care - to me he'll always be someone who gives me bad vibes with a dodgy background to say the least.

As I said I'll wait and see the full line up and I'll probably watch the first few shows but if I start sensing major foul play from the producers I'll probably switch off - I don't want to end up feeling flat and disappointed like I did at the end of last series.

I am left scratching my head about right and wrong sort of celebrities.
    I think I have a different perspective on celebrity. I have a few stand out heroes or heroines who i deeply respect, but otherwise see celebreties as a selection of everyday people who are lucky or unlucky enough to have caught the public eye for whatever reason. They all have their daft sides but unlike mine, their's gets exposed to the glare of the camera shutters.
    I often have never heard of half of the contestants on Strictly. Barely heard of one quarter and remember the rest from the depths of the past.
    What I love is getting to know the different aspects of the "celebrities" personalities as they move through the show and develop as dancers. I had heard of Peter Crouch as am a football fan and enjoyed watching Abby develop through the show. Strictly wasn't a classic for me but I was pleased that Susannah and K from G didn't win.
    This year who knows who will catch my interest. Without Artem, Robin and James my expectations are low. I hope my interest gets caught, as without Strictly I have nothing else to irritate the OH with on a Saturday night.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Clartem wrote: »

There have been celebs who had done Strictly who, when I read their names, my heart sank.

Lisa Riley was one.
    Then she did her first dance with Robin, and it was a revelation.

We all have celebs we would like to be signed up, and those we would not.
    However, until they get into the rehearsal room with their pro and get stuck in - no-one has any idea how they will do.

What I cannot stand are those who do not take it seriously - BUT not in a comedy way Like Widdy or Nancy or Mark or Dave or Russell - they worked hard but knew they were never going to win (or be any good at all in some cases).

The one's I do not like are those who get stroppy when things are not as easy as they thought
    As long as the Celeb has fun and tries their best, and works hard and does what their Pro tells them, then the show works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clartem wrote: »
    I think I have a different perspective on celebrity. I have a few stand out heroes or heroines who i deeply respect, but otherwise see celebreties as a selection of everyday people who are lucky or unlucky enough to have caught the public eye for whatever reason. They all have their daft sides but unlike mine, their's gets exposed to the glare of the camera shutters.

I often have never heard of half of the contestants on Strictly. Barely heard of one quarter and remember the rest from the depths of the past.
    What I love is getting to know the different aspects of the "celebrities" personalities as they move through the show and develop as dancers. I had heard of Peter Crouch as am a football fan and enjoyed watching Abby develop through the show. Strictly wasn't a classic for me but I was pleased that Susannah and K from G didn't win.
    This year who knows who will catch my interest. Without Artem, Robin and James my expectations are low. I hope my interest gets caught, as without Strictly I have nothing else to irritate the OH with on a Saturday night.

I think probably like you I have some 'celebrities' I deeply admire - but the ones I tend to admire don't expose their private lives or turn up to the opening of an envelope or have the PR agents/tabloids on speed dial. I take it you're a Kara fan since I've read your posts in the Kara/Artem appreciation threads. Well one of the things I like about Kara is that she's generally low key. So yes she does do some of celebrity things as she has to keep her profile up - she does interviews to publicise her work, and she does the turning up to award cermonies looking exceeding beautiful and glamourous but other than that she doesn't purposely court media attention - she's not someone who generally talks about her private life a great deal - I know after she won the glitterball she and Artem did a few interviews but since then I think they both generally tended to avoid talking about their relationship. Kara is the type of 'celebrity' I welcome and enjoy finding out about on strictly. I knew very little about Kara since I stopped watching Eastenders eons ago but knew about her since I'd seen her a few times in the press and knew her from the strictly sports special where she performed and won with Ramps - so I always thought she'd be an ideal contestant on strictly and I'm happy that turned out to be the case.

However, I think where I may differ with you is I don't generally have much time for the type of 'celebrities' who go out of their way to court media attention - I would put but the likes of Abbey Clancey and Mark Wright into this category - if those type of celebrities get caught making idiots of themselves then I have no sympathy for them. Why should I? They're the type of celebs that would sell their soul to get into the tabloids and be famous. I don't regard appearing in 'low brow' reality tv as any sort of achievement nor to I regard as dating/marrying someone famous as an achievment.

I didn't enjoy Abbey on the show - I found the constant name dropping of Peter Crouch and going on about her nerrrrrves tedious - I found her vacuous and vain as a personality - as for her dancing I thought it was very overrated - she was lucky to find herself taking part in a year where there were no male contenders and where her main competition (Natalie) was villified in the media ...........I'm sure I maybe accused of being 'bitter' by some of her diehard fans but so what... her pyrrhic victory is ultimately meaningless - I'm sure the producers will have been very proud of their 'winner' when she boasted in her interview to Zoe she was going to get drunk and then she was papped legless after winning the glitterball and then again after the tour. If that's the sort of 'celeb' they want to champion then it says a lot about the producers - but for me it's ruining strictly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead we've probably got shouty, convicted football hooligan, self styled 'food expert' and brawler Greg Wallace......oh and 'TOWIE star' Mark Wright.

I'm not really looking forward to it after last year and because of some of the 'celeb' rumours this year....... but on second thoughts there is something to look forward to......the pros.......especially lovely little Jannette. What a fiesty lady she is! I'm really hoping she gets a contender :D

:D:D:D

I want Aljaz to get Allison :D:D . I can't believe she's doing the show :o.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That would be a good pairing - he could have a good laugh with her.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My money's on her being paired with Anton. I'd be very surprised if she was paired with anyone else, especially one of the new guys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think probably like you I have some 'celebrities' I deeply admire - but the ones I tend to admire don't expose their private lives or turn up to the opening of an envelope or have the PR agents/tabloids on speed dial. I take it you're a Kara fan since I've read your posts in the Kara/Artem appreciation threads. Well one of the things I like about Kara is that she's generally low key. So yes she does do some of celebrity things as she has to keep her profile up - she does interviews to publicise her work, and she does the turning up to award cermonies looking exceeding beautiful and glamourous but other than that she doesn't purposely court media attention - she's not someone who generally talks about her private life a great deal - I know after she won the glitterball she and Artem did a few interviews but since then I think they both generally tended to avoid talking about their relationship. Kara is the type of 'celebrity' I welcome and enjoy finding out about on strictly. I knew very little about Kara since I stopped watching Eastenders eons ago but knew about her since I'd seen her a few times in the press and knew her from the strictly sports special where she performed and won with Ramps - so I always thought she'd be an ideal contestant on strictly and I'm happy that turned out to be the case.

However, I think where I may differ with you is I don't generally have much time for the type of 'celebrities' who go out of their way to court media attention - I would put but the likes of Abbey Clancey and Mark Wright into this category - if those type of celebrities get caught making idiots of themselves then I have no sympathy for them. Why should I? They're the type of celebs that would sell their soul to get into the tabloids and be famous. I don't regard appearing in 'low brow' reality tv as any sort of achievement nor to I regard as dating/marrying someone famous as an achievment.

I didn't enjoy Abbey on the show - I found the constant name dropping of Peter Crouch and going on about her nerrrrrves tedious - I found her vacuous and vain as a personality - as for her dancing I thought it was very overrated - she was lucky to find herself taking part in a year where there were no male contenders and where her main competition (Natalie) was villified in the media ...........I'm sure I maybe accused of being 'bitter' by some of her diehard fans but so what... her pyrrhic victory is ultimately meaningless - I'm sure the producers will have been very proud of their 'winner' when she boasted in her interview to Zoe she was going to get drunk and then she was papped legless after winning the glitterball and then again after the tour. If that's the sort of 'celeb' they want to champion then it says a lot about the producers - but for me it's ruining strictly.

Yep I would "accuse " you of STILL being bitter monthsssss later :D:D. Abbey Clancy WON :D and this kind of ranting makes me EVEN happy that she WON :D:p:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    [/B]

My money's on her being paired with Anton. I'd be very surprised if she was paired with anyone else, especially one of the new guys.

Anton needs a break for goodness sake.... :o:o !!! Someone needs to give him a CONTENDAHHHH already....poor Lad :(

That was sarcasm btw :p:p
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    If Carol Cleveland is in, I can't see her with anyone but Anton.

She's 72 and double the age of almost all of the rest of the men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does Anton always get stuck with the old ladies ??? Why NOT try to challenge another pro.
    Btw I'm NOT an Anton fan. I just think that it would be nice for the producers to go for the unpredictable pairings a bit more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I would "accuse " you of STILL being bitter monthsssss later :D:D. Abbey Clancy WON :D and this kind of ranting makes me EVEN happy that she WON :D:p:p

I wasn't actually 'ranting' edy I was discussing with a few other posters about the producers choices for celebs......but whatever edy...this is the level of response I've come to expect from you and some others on here...gloat over the hollow victory if it still makes you happy. I wonder what happened to that spectacular career in stage, screen and dance that you had planned for Abbey? lol :p

Still as I said I'm not looking toward to strictly, but it will be nice to see the lovely Jannette back and hopefully she'll have a good run this year with a contender :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Anton always get stuck with the old ladies ??? Why NOT try to challenge another pro.
    Btw I'm NOT an Anton fan. I just think that it would be nice for the producers to go for the unpredictable pairings a bit more.

Because someone has to have the mega duffers - not that all the oldies are duffers but still that's about Anton's level. And why waste a contender or even middler on him?
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Still, it'd nice to see Anton with someone under 40 again for a change - the last one was Laila Rouass (however much Nancy may protest).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't actually 'ranting' edy I was discussing with a few other posters about the producers choices for celebs......but whatever edy...this is the level of response I've come to expect from you and some others on here...gloat over the hollow victory if it still makes you happy. I wonder what happened to that spectacular career in stage, screen and dance that you had planned for Abbey? lol :p

Still as I said I'm not looking toward to strictly, but it will be nice to see the lovely Jannette back and hopefully she'll have a good run this year with a contender :D

:D:D
    Hollow victory ehhh :D:D ?
    Abbey wasn't simply interested in that aspect of a career. She likes her life as it is ;-)

I could do the same and take a cheap shot at Natalie like you just did with Abbey BUT I won't :) Because she was a lovely lady and had a dignified personality unlike a LOT of her fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still, it'd nice to see Anton with someone under 40 again for a change - the last one was Laila Rouass (however much Nancy may protest).

Perhaps he can have Helen Flanagan if she's in the line up...that should be a laugh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D
    Hollow victory ehhh :D:D ?
    Abbey wasn't simply interested in that aspect of a career. She likes her life as it is ;-)

I could do the same and take a cheap shot at Natalie BUT I won't. Because she was a lovely lady and had a dignified personality unlike a LOT of her fans.

First of all I'm not a Natalie fan - I liked her on strictly and that was that - the only time I voted for her was in the final before then I voted for others - I knew she wouldn't win but my reason for voting for was because she was amazing in the final and it would have been a travesty for her not to get to the final 3.

And as I recall you took plenty of cheap shots at Natalie, her fans and poor little Janette during last series all the while going into a tizzy when anyone made the slightest criticism of Abbey.

And yes if there's no male contenders to compete against and the main female competition has been undermined making it impossible for them to win then it is a hollow victory.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heaven forbid that this thread was actually used for sharing information on this year's series!

It seems ages since we got wind of Alison's involvement, I remember in 2012 the rumours were coming in thick and fast during this time period.