Freeview freezes when on a BBC channel

I've just bought a new Freeview box and it freezes when its on a BBC channel.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Which Freeview box?
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which Freeview box?

It's a GOODMANS GDB18FVZS2 Freeview Box.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    Why aren't freeview boxes being made any more?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    c0bo wrote: »
    Why aren't freeview boxes being made any more?

What makes you think they aren't?
    Just a few available from your local rip off store...CURRYS Freeview
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    What makes you think they aren't?
    Just a few available from your local rip off store...CURRYS Freeview
    There seems to be less freeview boxes available than there have been before.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be less freeview boxes available than there have been before.

Now that all new TVs have had Freeview for a while there's obviously going to be less call for plain vanilla STBs as this function is now done in the TV. The case for PVRs however is another matter and there should be more call for these as people realise how useful they are, it's quite difficult remembering what a pain TV viewing was before PVRs which to my mind was a far more important development than HD or even DVD.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyway unlikely to be an aerial problem since bbc muxes are transmitted at higher signal to noise ratio than the rest. following the huge dvb t1 disaster .....
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    anyway unlikely to be an aerial problem since bbc muxes are transmitted at higher signal to noise ratio than the rest. following the huge dvb t1 disaster .....

Don't think it's the arial either because now my Bush freeview box freezes when on a BBC channel.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think it's the arial either because now my Bush freeview box freezes when on a BBC channel.

Have a close look at the two boxes. If they are both just plain vanilla Freeview receivers (no recording capability) it is entirely possible that they are the same box with a different badge on the front and maybe a few cosmetic tweaks.

A lot of the boxes at the cheaper end of the market that the likes of Argos and Currys sell by the truck load have all come out of the same factory using the same bin of bits to assemble them.

If they are clone boxes then that suggests some inherent fault with the electronics inside them.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member

Most likely it's tuned the wrong transmitter, check in the high channel numbers (800's?) and see if you have duplicate BBC channels up there (it's where the boxes put any duplicates).

Probably it's put the proper ones up there, and a weaker transmitter on the low numbers - a VERY common occurrence when auto-tuning - either manually tune the box, or simply move the high numbers down to where you want them.
    Forum Member
    Most likely it's tuned the wrong transmitter, check in the high channel numbers (800's?) and see if you have duplicate BBC channels up there (it's where the boxes put any duplicates).

Probably it's put the proper ones up there, and a weaker transmitter on the low numbers - a VERY common occurrence when auto-tuning - either manually tune the box, or simply move the high numbers down to where you want them.

I've checked and there are no 800 numbers.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you sharing the signal between the two boxes?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »

That doesn't necessarily equal better reception of BBC at the aerial.....if you don't have line if sight with the signal, for example hills, trees,tall buildings in the way, it can weaken one multiplex more than another.
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    How are you sharing the signal between the two boxes?

I moved the aerial that was attached to the Goodmans box and attached it to the Bush Box. Because I thought that it was the aerial was causing the freezing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    THIS WORKED FOR ME - IT IS YOUR MOBILE PHONE

I had the same issue. All BBC transponder signals froze the TV. It was intermittent, but usually occurred within a very short time. Resetting/Re-Tuning did not cure it. The only way to access the TV's functions again was to power off and on.
    I initially assumed it was too much signal, but it was not that either.
    It was as if something was causing the TV to have an internal mental breakdown but only on the BBC transponder channels.
    I was about to give up, and send the TV to the tip, when I found the solution by chance.
    I had started to use a TV card in my PC, because of the problem, but there were often occasional wavy lines, and buzzing on the sound. I knew from experience this was due to a mobile phone doing its periodic background 'check in', and of course when it was transmitting during a conversation.
    So I bought a TV aerial filter designed to limit mobile phone frequencies, and fitted it between the aerial and the aerial amplifier I use to distribute the TV signal, including the feed to the 'poorly TV'.
    These filters are described as being designed to limit 4G interference, but they actually limit 3G frequencies as well.
    THAT WAS IT.
    The TV started working with no problems.
    I checked several times. Remove the filter, and the problem returned immediately. Connect it, cured.
    So, strange as it sounds, some Digital TV's must have a control chip that reacts to 3G and 4G nearby interference, which causes that one frequency band to 'freeze' the normal operation when the mobile transmits. As you may be aware a mobile phone transmits in the background often, not just when you are making a call.
    A VERY peculiar, and almost insolvable problem with a very EASY cure.
    There is a distinct possibility that fitting a filter may cure a lot of problems people are experiencing with the BBC channels, not just the one above. Fitting could not be simpler, TV aerial plug at one end, a socket for your present aerial cable on the other. The filter requires no power. For the best result, fit the filter directly to the TV's aerial input socket.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Yes there were tabloid headlines a while back talking about how 4G might ruin some people's TV viewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money is still on lack of signal strength or quality.
    Is there a built in signal meter in the menu, goto the problem channel then look at the signal readout in the menu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is 4g mobile interference u will need a filter, and if that doesn't work, possibly new aerial or switch to a different system such as freesat.