Options

Paedogeddon strikes Will Self

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
I think this country has totally lost the plot now:
Striding through the fields and rich-green everglades of the Yorkshire countryside, his 11-year-old son revelling in the rural bliss and clasping his trusty walking staff, the writer Will Self was within his rights to feel free and at ease.

What was to his mind a “blameless pursuit” appeared far more sinister to a college security guard, however, who contacted the police fearing the child was being led astray.

Mr Self’s ramble was brought to an abrupt end when he was hauled over to the roadside for questioning after being stopped by convoy of police cars. A protective custody officer was waiting in the wings in case his son had to be taken in to care by the social services.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/questioned-for-taking-a-country-walk-with-his-son-even-will-self-couldnt-make-it-up-8773439.html

Who is to blame for this utter nonsense?? The media? The government? Society in general? It makes me SICK that a man can't take his son for a walk without someone getting the police out. And it's wondered why men don't want to be primary school teachers or work with kids.

As a society it's completely shameful.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media are to blame . Paedogeddon sells newspapers .
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG:eek:

What's happening to our western world?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop corn.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does look a bit pervy, right enough.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think it can work both ways

Imagine you did see this bloke leading a kid around in what maybe a odd area to see it n and then later you find the kid is missing and has been murdered wouldn't it play on your mind that you could have stopped it.

But yes on the other hand everybody has a right to take their or a kid they have permission nt on a walk.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    hopefully the college dealt with the security guard in house but going by the comments they seem to be trying to justify his actions.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so ANYONE can be question of they have ANY child with them now?????

they should question that MORON who brought this up in the first place!
    and tell him to MIND HIS OWN ******* BUSINESS!
    :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    hopefully the college dealt with the security guard in house but going by the comments they seem to be trying to justify his actions.

I expect they gave him a pat on the back and he felt very self-justified afterwards. What's to stop anyone at any time calling the police because they see a man with a kid? I think it's insane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all comes down to people judging.

Like seeing an older man with a young thailand girl or boy as sex slave, people will judge on that.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »

You have to laugh don't you

Self, the college’s human resources director Kate Calvert wrote: “I understand that the guard observed you in a village north of Bishop Burton. It was now around 7.30pm to 8.00pm and you had also told the guard you were from London and clearly did not know the area. He is adamant that in alerting the police he acted in good faith and out of concern for both of your safety.”

Like that anyone who is lost and has kids with them should not be given directions but reported to police ( if it had been 5.30pm would the guard have found it less suspicious) , and god help any parents on holiday away from home with their children they too should all be reported to police. One thing I suppose if arrest figures are low the police could take this to heart and trawl Blackpool seafront, and if the kids are wearing swims suits then even more reason.

When will people get it into their heads there are no more paedophiles around today than ever before, its just that we hear more about it via the 24/7 media as thankfully victims report it more these days instead of sweeping it under the carpet as they did years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    so ANYONE can be question of they have ANY child with them now?????

they should question that MORON who brought this up in the first place!
    and tell him to MIND HIS OWN ******* BUSINESS!
    :mad:

Essentially, yes. Every man is a potential paedophile/rapist. I think something has gone seriously wrong somewhere, tbh.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Imagine you did see this bloke leading a kid around in what maybe a odd area to see it n and then later you find the kid is missing and has been murdered wouldn't it play on your mind that you could have stopped it.

But yes on the other hand everybody has a right to take their or a kid they have permission nt on a walk.

It would be awful to know you'd seen an abducted child alive moments before they disappeared and not raised the alarm. But I step outside my house and every day I'm faced with adults walking with children. I don't report this, as most children are accompanied by a parent, family member or family friend when they leave the house when they are young.

It doesn't seem like Will Self was in an 'unusual' area - he was out walking with his kid, a pursuit that has been around for centuries. Does the college guard raise a signal every time an adult and a child walk past? Would he have raised an eyebrow if it had been Mrs. Self and said child? Men have it hard these days with children*; they go on about how absent fathers cause all sorts of problems but the second a man is seen doing a healthy activity with his child, there's someone there to shout 'paedo'.

*ETA: An unfortunate turn of phrase I used there. :D
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guard has lost all sense through too much Jimmy Savile news exposure if he thinks that a man and a boy having a walk in a remote part of the country is evidence enough of pedophilia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    incy wincy wrote: »
    It would be awful to know you'd seen an abducted child alive moments before they disappeared and not raised the alarm. But I step outside my house and every day I'm faced with adults walking with children. I don't report this, as most children are accompanied by a parent, family member or family friend when they leave the house when they are young.

It doesn't seem like Will Self was in an 'unusual' area - he was out walking with his kid, a pursuit that has been around for centuries. Does the college guard raise a signal every time an adult and a child walk past? Would he have raised an eyebrow if it had been Mrs. Self and said child? Men have it hard these days with children; they go on about how absent fathers cause all sorts of problems but the second a man is seen doing a healthy activity with his child, there's someone there to shout 'paedo'.

Totally agree.

The chances of a child being abducted and murdered by a paedophile are vanishingly small. And as said already, there are no more paedos around now than there were fifty years ago. In the early 1920s a man on a motorbike tried to abduct my gran when she was about six. Such things have, unfortunately, been around forever. People don't just wake up and decide to abuse a child. It's not a fashion, ffs.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree.

The chances of a child being abducted and murdered by a paedophile are vanishingly small. And as said already, there are no more paedos around now than there were fifty years ago. In the early 1920s a man on a motorbike tried to abduct my gran when she was about six. Such things have, unfortunately, been around forever. People don't just wake up and decide to abuse a child. It's not a fashion, ffs.

Yeah, and it's the gender thing as well. I was nearly abducted when I was about 3, by a woman. My mum took her eyes off me for a second in a shop only to see me being led towards the door by a youngish woman. Fortunately she caught me in time. I have no idea what she wanted as my mum was too shaken to report her before she left the shop.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought was, was he hiking naked ?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds to me he had a bit of argument over access and the security guard decided to 'sort him'. I personally don't believe the guard did it "in good faith" or out of concerns for the child.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironic that a journalist falls victim to something exacerbated by media-fuelled hysteria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Sounds to me he had a bit of argument over access and the security guard decided to 'sort him'. I personally don't believe the guard did it "in good faith".

The DS investigator on this thread to step in, well done. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first thought was, was he hiking naked ?

:D one of them is enough!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's still outrageous (and must have been quite humiliating and embarrassing) for a father to be quizzed as a potential paedophile for going for a walk with his young son.

It was this type of hysteria and paranoia surrounding paedophilia that Chris Morris was satirising in his famous 'Brass Eye' special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    The DS investigator on this thread to step in, well done. :)

He mentions his argument in the DM article!
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Will - love his towering intellect.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like Mr Self has read a lot into the actions of the security guard that don't appear to be supported by the facts presented in the article.
    the guard observed you in a village north of Bishop Burton. It was now around 7.30pm to 8.00pm and you had also told the guard you were from London and clearly did not know the area.

Sounds reasonable enough to have a bit of a concern for BOTH of their welfare.

As for:
    Mr Self believes that he was marked out as a potential sexual predator by the guard after he asked for permission to cut through the grounds of the agricultural college during a 11-day ramble last month.

“Staring me straight in the face he said that it was out of the question. The insinuation that I might pose some sort of threat to young people

So even though it was 8PM and long after the college had finished, Mr Self thinks the guard was worried about him being a "threat" to the non-existent students?

And of course a college is for 16-18+ year olds, so there won't be any "young" (in the pedophile sense) people there anyway.

I mean, it couldn't possibly be that the security guard was doing his job by protecting the private property. What's the point of having guards if saying 'Oh, it's okay, I just want to walk through' is enough to get past them?

Then there's
    “treated like a criminal for no reason whatsoever”

Being quizzed for all of two minutes is what constitutes being "treated like a criminal"? He wasn't even arrested, let alone charged and convicted.

And there's the
    B1248 motorway

Which would seem to imply that the guy really was rather lost if he was following a motorway B road...
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's still outrageous (and must have been quite humiliating and embarrassing) for a father to be quizzed as a potential paedophile for going for a walk with his young son.

It was this type of hysteria and paranoia surrounding paedophilia that Chris Morris was satirising in his famous 'Brass Eye' special.

And who would have thought that 20 years later such a ridiculous satire would now being uncannily similar to the behavior of the media today