Options

Coronation Street's Michelle Collins unhappy over lack of screen time

Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
Forum Member
I completely agree that she has been underused. This seems to be happening with a lot of characters in corrie though. To me it seems to be less and less about a community and more about individuals. It would be a great shame if Corrie lost the sense of community it's known for. Obviously they can't give everyone massive stories but they could involve other characters a bit more

Comments

• Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was overused under Phil Collinson, he even manage to involve her in Betty's death. I did like her but I'm not fussed about her being underused.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter how OTT it was Diederick Santer should have brought the character back to EastEnders and made that witness protection programme happen. Cindy returning would have been far more plausible than Den's return. I think it would have been handled better too. I also believe EE fans would have been happy to accept her coming back.

I always had a feeling her time on Correh would end in tears. One actor cannot create two soap legends. Its impossible. Cindy was always going to win over Stella. It was a risk for Collinson that didn't work out.
  • Options
    Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    No matter how OTT it was Diederick Santer should have brought the character back to EastEnders and made that witness protection programme happen. Cindy returning would have been far more plausible than Den's return. I think it would have been handled better too. I also believe EE fans would have been happy to accept her coming back.

I always had a feeling her time on Correh would end in tears. One actor cannot create two soap legends. Its impossible. Cindy was always going to win over Stella. It was a risk that didn't work out.

Maybe he's punishing her for leaving so soon. She didn't really give the character a chance to develop. Just like the Gloria character. Sad really because there was potential there.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love Michelle Collins, she was never going to hang around for long given that her daughter is in London and she's working in Manchester or whatever the setup is. They should have gone with Lisa Maxwell who was second choice to play Stella, as she would have more than likely stayed with the show for the long haul.

I don't watch Corrie regularly if at all anymore but from what I've read on here and in Stuart Blackburn's statements regarding her departure, it does appear that she is being quietly phased out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one thing having a quiet period followed by a storyline - which often happens in Corrie - but it's quite another to simply be left on the shelf collecting dust. It's the latter that has happened to Michelle Collins and good on her for taking umbrage with it.
    Ashley79 wrote: »
    I completely agree that she has been underused. This seems to be happening with a lot of characters in corrie though. To me it seems to be less and less about a community and more about individuals. It would be a great shame if Corrie lost the sense of community it's known for. Obviously they can't give everyone massive stories but they could involve other characters a bit more

Unfortunately, it is typical Blackburn to focus on a few characters and leave the rest to rot. If your name's not Platt, Cropper or McDonald, there won't be much for you to do! Katie, Chesney, Sinead, Tyrone, Gary, Izzy and Stella have had nothing to do for months. Steph Britton is supposedly a regular yet does absolutely nothing but serve drinks. Axing Brian was a mistake and felt forced. And every episode is identical.
    priscilla wrote: »
    She was overused under Phil Collinson, he even manage to involve her in Betty's death. I did like her but I'm not fussed about her being underused.

Well given that Stella was landlady of the pub Betty worked at... :confused:
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    I'm very happy over her 'lack' of screen time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    She wasn't going to stay after her mate PC left anyway, so why would they give her loads of screen time? Whats the point if she's leaving?

One thing we can gather from this is that, even if she doesn't get killed off, I very much doubt they'll be inviting her back after she's decided to have a moan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think it's a disgusting, despicable way to treat Betty Turpin's best mate.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wasn't going to stay after her mate PC left anyway, so why would they give her loads of screen time? Whats the point if she's leaving?

One thing we can gather from this is that, even if she doesn't get killed off, I very much doubt they'll be inviting her back after she's decided to have a moan.

Tina is leaving, she gets loads of screentime.
    Stella hardly sets foot out the Bistro these days
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »

Yes but she hardly knew Betty but there sorting out Betty's belongings, and making out she was Betty's best mate. It wasn't believable and just showed her PC wanted her to be involved in everything.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boo hoo, she was shoehorned into so much for over two years, big deal if she isn't in the forefront for the past few months. She failed as a character and will be forgotten when she finally leaves.

And any excuse to make SB look like the villain, despite the fact a majority couldn't stand her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... mind you, she probably deserves it the way she's been toying with Dev & leading the poor sod on.

Sheesh, talk about a frickin' tease.

She flaunts her beige figure at him, flirts constantly, gives him the big come on - then the minute he summons up the courage to ask her out, it's all ... "Eee I'm too busy for this Dev ... Eee Betty were me best mate were Betty ... Eee stop hassling me Dev ... Eee our Leanne who I bought up single-handedly from the age of 32 needs me ..."
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, she did say she wanted to leave.
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes she is leaving but basically she has been pushed out so Stuart Blackburn could bring Liz McDonald back
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »

I'm in agreement here. When I heard that Michelle was joining Corrie I was quite looking forward to it as as much as I dislike Eastenders - I did like her portrayal of Cindy (I also like Michelle Collins - she seems like a nice woman). However - from the minute she opened her mouth on Corrie - I couldn't wait to see the last of the character. I don't know why the actress couldn't have insisted that it is quite possible that Leanne's mum could have a Southern accent instead of going for this incredibly forced accent. The accent just put me off. Trivial I know - but its for the same reason I can barely stand a film where Alan Rickman is trying to do a New England accent. And I love Alan Rickman.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always had a feeling her time on Correh would end in tears. One actor cannot create two soap legends. Its impossible. Cindy was always going to win over Stella. It was a risk for Collinson that didn't work out.

Agreed. She just didn't work.
  • Options
    ChattinglilChattinglil Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    sunny day wrote: »
    yes she is leaving but basically she has been pushed out so Stuart Blackburn could bring Liz McDonald back

and hooray, because let's face it - Liz is SO much better suited to the job!

I'm in agreement here. When I heard that Michelle was joining Corrie I was quite looking forward to it as as much as I dislike Eastenders - I did like her portrayal of Cindy (I also like Michelle Collins - she seems like a nice woman). However - from the minute she opened her mouth on Corrie - I couldn't wait to see the last of the character. I don't know why the actress couldn't have insisted that it is quite possible that Leanne's mum could have a Southern accent instead of going for this incredibly forced accent. The accent just put me off. Trivial I know - but its for the same reason I can barely stand a film where Alan Rickman is trying to do a New England accent. And I love Alan Rickman.

Totally agree. No loss as far as I am concerned. In a year it will be:
    "Stella who?"
    "Oh you remember, Eva's mum"
    "oh yeah"

Now Eva on the otherhand - what a GREAT character - they SO need to use her much more. I can see her running t'Rovers in the future.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    sunny day wrote: »

Well, at least "the door is being left open" and she is not being killed off, unlike others that said they wanted to leave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

She never even appeared onscreen with Betty and it was made out that they were close friends, which was a bit annoying imo.
  • Options
    NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She never even appeared onscreen with Betty and it was made out that they were close friends, which was a bit annoying imo.

In total agreement, what was even more ridiculous was Stella going to look through Betty's stuff. Rita, Emily and Gordon Clegg I was fine with because they knew Betty for many years and the actors had worked with her, but shoving Stella in was too far. It was just awkward having her there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my word, Gordon Clegg! A truly, truly terrible actor. Michelle Collins looks like Helen Mirren by comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my word, Gordon Clegg! A truly, truly terrible actor. Michelle Collins looks like Helen Mirren by comparison.

Poor Betty, they couldn't have cheapened and disgraced her memory more if they tried.

They had the dozy Everton chairman and a complete stranger rooting through her personal belongings - before handing her cherished 'Ot Pot recipe over to bellend Cotton.

They really did a number on Betty.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but it's a soap. Meaning screen time has to be shared with a bunch of other actors and I imagine that's probably one of the hardest things to do when writing a soap: ensuring the big stories get enough airtime and balancing the smaller stuff out in between. The focus can't be on you all the time and I'm sure something new will come up for Michelle to do soon enough.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »

Yes she did, and once you put in your resignation, you (quite rightly) get to have no say whatsoever in how 'the business' carries on without you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Betty, they couldn't have cheapened and disgraced her memory more if they tried.

They had the dozy Everton chairman and a complete stranger rooting through her personal belongings - before handing her cherished 'Ot Pot recipe over to bellend Cotton.

They really did a number on Betty.

:D:D:D:D:D