Breaks for smoking at work

12345679»

Comments

• ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Smokers don't half stink when they come back from having a ****.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I worked for our local council there was this woman who did absolutely nothing and got away with murder. She was a jobsworth and a work dodger but she'd been there over 20 years so they couldn't get rid of her as it would have cost them a fortune. She was a bit like that annoying woman of the sitcom The Job Lot. The one that everyone dislikes but can't get rid of.

She'd turn up to work right at the last minute then the first thing she would do is put her handbag on her chair then go to the loo for 10 minutes. She'd come back and sit at her desk and turn her computer on then ask everybody if they wanted a brew. Rather than flick the kettle on and come back to her desk to do some work while the kettle boiled, she would stand about idol in the kitchen for up to 15 minutes pretending to wash cups out. She would do this at least 4 times a day. She was forever popping off to do some photocopying or laminating which would kill half an hour at a time not to mention her **** breaks and nipping out to the mobile sandwich van when it arrived around half 10 which gave her another excuse to leave her desk and go for a smoke and waste yet more work time. Oh and yet more loo breaks to follow. She's got a weak bladder you see. Funny how she always managed to come back from the toilet stinking of **** though.

Whenever it was someones birthday she'd be the one going round asking people to sign cards or give money. She would do anything that gave her an excuse to wander off from her desk or do anything but the job she was getting paid to do. If anyone asked her to do something she would always say how she was too busy to help or that it wasn't her job to do such-and-such and I should try asking someone else.

At the end of the day she'd start packing up 5 minutes early so she could race off at 5pm precisely and not a second over. Whenever she had so much as a sniffle you knew she wouldn't be in work for at least a week. Everybody hated her and her nickname was Jobsworth Jan on account that everything anyone asked her to do was more than her jobsworth.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    When I worked for our local council there was this woman who did absolutely nothing and got away with murder. She was a jobsworth and a work dodger but she'd been there over 20 years so they couldn't get rid of her as it would have cost them a fortune. She was a bit like that annoying woman of the sitcom The Job Lot. The one that everyone dislikes but can't get rid of.

She'd turn up to work right at the last minute then the first thing she would do is put her handbag on her chair then go to the loo for 10 minutes. She'd come back and sit at her desk and turn her computer on then ask everybody if they wanted a brew. Rather than flick the kettle on and come back to her desk to do some work while the kettle boiled, she would stand about idol in the kitchen for up to 15 minutes pretending to wash cups out. She would do this at least 4 times a day. She was forever popping off to do some photocopying or laminating which would kill half an hour at a time not to mention her **** breaks and nipping out to the mobile sandwich van when it arrived around half 10 which gave her another excuse to leave her desk and go for a smoke and waste yet more work time. Oh and yet more loo breaks to follow. She's got a weak bladder you see. Funny how she always managed to come back from the toilet stinking of **** though.

Whenever it was someones birthday she'd be the one going round asking people to sign cards or give money. She would do anything that gave her an excuse to wander off from her desk or do anything but the job she was getting paid to do. If anyone asked her to do something she would always say how she was too busy to help or that it wasn't her job to do such-and-such and I should try asking someone else.

At the end of the day she'd start packing up 5 minutes early so she could race off at 5pm precisely and not a second over. Whenever she had so much as a sniffle you knew she wouldn't be in work for at least a week. Everybody hated her and her nickname was Jobsworth Jan on account that everything anyone asked her to do was more than her jobsworth.

Good lord are you sure she didn't move to my office, except she's a he now.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    No, I don't. I work for the NHS.

Ok . I do too well a division of the nhs. Locala. Can I ask what you do?
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok . I do too well a division of the nhs. Locala. Can I ask what you do?

I'm now a 111 call handler (people don't shoot me please :D) before I had my children I used to be a waiting list manager (again please don't shoot me :D).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Are you worried that these breaks are having an affect on the company or are you just annoyed that they get to stop working for 10 minutes?

Sounds like the latter from your post

Rupert...
    Why should a smoker have special privileges, & work less hours than the other workers. if the cost was coming out of your pocket I dare say you would be signing from a different hymnbook ???:o
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I'm now a 111 call handler (people don't shoot me please :D) before I had my children I used to be a waiting list manager (again please don't shoot me :D).

The 111 handler is what I could kick ya back side for lol. Whats with all the damn questions aaaarrgh. Have I you had to deal with any cutbacks?

Locala have made huge cutbacks but yet at the end of the financial year are sending over 100k because if they dont they lose off ov next years budget. Drives me insane
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,982
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    Rupert...
    Why should a smoker have special privileges, & work less hours than the other workers. if the cost was coming out of your pocket I dare say you would be signing from a different hymnbook ???:o

What is stopping non-smokers from getting up and walking out for an extra break when the smokers do?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Rupert...

As a smoker I actually work more hours than my non smoking colleague
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 111 handler is what I could kick ya back side for lol. Whats with all the damn questions aaaarrgh. Have I you had to deal with any cutbacks?

Locala have made huge cutbacks but yet at the end of the financial year are sending over 100k because if they dont they lose off ov next years budget. Drives me insane

Ha ha, the questions can be a nightmare but we have to follow them or we or could loose our job :(

I haven't heard of any cutbacks yet. Infact we are still recruting because we have taken over other areas.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is stopping non-smokers from getting up and walking out for an extra break when the smokers do?

There are many managers/employers out there who wouldn't allow it. I refer to my own experience from the 1st page of the thread.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Actually, this isn't entirely accurate and depends entirely on the manager. I used to take and apple break when the smokers had their **** break. After a week of this I was told that I had more than enough breaks in the day to eat food.

I was told to stop being childish and get back to work.
  • Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i have said before smokers and people take time off to say their prayers should get 30 minute lunch breaks, And the rest 45 minutes lunch break that would be fair .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are allowed a 2 min smoke break in the afternoon, by the time you clock out, walk out to the gate you've about 30 secs to get a **** before you have to come back in.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    There are many managers/employers out there who wouldn't allow it. I refer to my own experience from the 1st page of the thread.

I was told to stop being childish and get back to work.

Exactly and that's what's unfair-I don't have a problem with people going out to smoke as long as the rest of the staff are allowed a break too.
    Valentine wrote: »
    Apologies if there have been other threads on this - if there have, I haven't seen them.

I started a new job late last year, working for a large company. There are very few people here - surprising given the size of the place - who smoke. One of people in my team goes out for a cigarette at least 4 times in the morning and again in the afternoon, for roughly 10 minutes each time (in addition to the time it takes to get to the smoking shelter, right at the other end of our site).

She has complained that she feels 'spyed on' by staff, as the office manager has commented in the past on how often she goes out, but she seems to feel hard done to, rather than being picked up for wasting company time.

What are people's thoughts about all this additional time smokers get off during the working day? I think it's ridiculous - here they only have to go from 8.30am to 12 and then 12.30 until 4.30. They're getting paid for time they're not working. (I might have a quick browse on the Web when I'm not busy, or at lunch time, but I know my colleague does this in addition to having the breaks).

I'd be in favour of scrapping the breaks or allowing them but as unpaid. It is an addiction, after all.
    I'd be annoyed too I think-if she is having 8 breaks of 10 minutes a day that adds up to 80 minutes a day and therefore she does seem to be abusing the system. Perhaps one option could be to allow everyone a break say of 10 minutes in the morning and another in the afternoon
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to smoke in our office has to clock off and clock back on again when returning.

For fairness, I agree with this, or else take it from your break.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a non-smoker but tbh for me smoking breaks are like coffee breaks. I dont have any problems with it. I dont smoke or drink tea/coffee at all but I dont hold it against anyone who does.