Pav and the underlying racism.

RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
Forum Member
✭✭
I'd love for someone to tell me why Pav is hated so much, to the point where he is getting mercilessly booed and chanted by the public and even had Steven making threatening comments about him (which he really should have been given a formal warning for.) I don't believe the theory of ''Oh, the public just boo anyone, there's nothing behind it.''

Steven got booed because of his arrogance and controlling behaviour, Helen got chanted because she's a vile bully, Ashleigh got booed because she was seen as cold hearted and manipulative, Marlon got booed because of his sexism and pressing the button, Ash got booed because of his sexist comments and alliance with Helen, Pauline got booed because she was a bully, Toya got booed because she was confrontational and hostile. Etc, etc.

There are logical explanations as to why everyone else got booed so strongly. But what exactly has Pav done to deserve it? Yes, he has come across as 'boring' which would explain people not liking him or maybe booing a little bit. But that doesn't explain the level of hatred which he is getting. And it's certainly not purely down to him being a 'new' housemate- Zoe and Bianca were well liked in the house, and Zoe is fast becoming a favourite to win. Nor is it to do with him being 'quiet' - Kim was quiet all the way through and was initially well liked until she got with Steven and was booed because of it.

So, in my opinion, there's only one logical explanation as to why he is the target of such pure hatred and hostility. And that's purely down to racism and the unwillingness of certain people to embrace other cultures/races/religions. I really believe if Pav had exactly the same personality but was a white male who dressed in traditional western clothing, people would have been largely indifferent to him (or at worst would have booed him slightly and labelled him as 'boring.') But he certainly wouldn't have been hated, because he has done nothing to deserve it.

An uncomfortable topic, but an important one.

Comments

• Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Because he's new and finding it difficult to integrate. I do think it's that simple TBH.
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Agreed.

It's still there, peeps.
    Alive and kicking.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Zoe and Bianca aren't white
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he's new and finding it difficult to integrate. I do think it's that simple TBH.

That would explain why he is disliked, but not why he is hated. Especially by the public. Jale found it difficult to integrate herself in the first few weeks, yet she was loved by the public and they really empathised with her.
  • Prof_MattProf_Matt Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    One word. Turban.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's had these thoughts about the subtext to the antipathy towards Pav.
  • StrawberryLacesStrawberryLaces Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope it's not that but I'm scratching my head, I don't get it either :confused:
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member

He's only finding it difficult to integrate because his house'mates' are nasty individuals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »

No, but they're not Sikh and wearing a turban. They're 'Westernised' and therefore aren't targeted by 'subtle' racism from people who see a turban and instantly think ''OMG terrorist/ send him back to his own country/ etc etc.''
  • Dave_62Dave_62 Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At worst Pav is a bit boring, usually boring housemates do not get this level of hostility, so OP has a point.
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member

Its not just about not being white
    Forum Member

Not sure why that would be relevant. :confused:
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Bottom line is that he's survived two evictions.
    Forum Member
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    No, but they're not Sikh and wearing a turban. They're 'Westernised' and therefore aren't targeted by 'subtle' racism from people who see a turban and instantly think ''OMG terrorist/ send him back to his own country/ etc etc.''

I wasn't aware Sikhs were considered terorists.
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,902
    Forum Member
    I really hope it's not that but I'm scratching my head, I don't get it either :confused:

I also don't get it, definitely making me feel uncomfortable :confused:
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping Pav would be an intelligent addition to the house & I feel let down by him. He has had a horrible week & the old HMs have not allowed him to be part of the bigger group; because he's more introverted than Zoe, he's struggled to cope. That doesn't mean he deserves the boos, but I've never been able to work out Friday's rent-a-crowd.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    The crowd randomly boo inoffensive housemates. Like That Prince Bloke.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the crowd boo's a contestant and its racism. What an offensive thread.

Past contestants got boo'd in the past for no reason. Matthew / Prince Lorenzo / Dexter / Halfwit (Freddie)
  • Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    Prof_Matt wrote: »
    One word. Turban.

Yep. :(
  • goldylookinfishgoldylookinfish Posts: 2,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.
    Forum Member

Racists are thick and think that Sikhs must be Muslim, like the Muslims in Afghanistan who wear head coverings and, therefore, must be terrorists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are by idiot racists who don't understand what a turban is and simply see 'strange' headwear and thus assume they're Muslim terrorists. Hence my comment about people seeing a turban and instantly assuming ''OMG terrorist.''
    Forum Member
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    Not sure why that would be relevant. :confused:

No, on second thoughts, colour doesn't come into it in a dicussion about racism.

What a silly billy I am.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    He came across really badly in his VT?
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that's because you have a degree of intelligence, the idiots booing him tonight not so much. I agree with the OP, and it was uncomfortable to watch.
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    So the crowd boo's a contestant and its racism. What an offensive thread.

Past contestants got boo'd in the past for no reason. Matthew / Prince Lorenzo / Dexter / Halfwit (Freddie)

BIB - Who is it offensive towards?
This discussion has been closed.