Options

BBC not fixing IPlayer errors

TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
I've been listening via IPlayer to Michael Palin reading the serialisation of his diaries 'Halfway to Hollywood' on 4Extra. When I came to listen to episode 5 broadcast on Friday I discovered that IPlayer had recorded 15 minutes of Scott Mills' Radio One show instead, which I found an amusing error when I imagined the number of 4Extra listeners who would encounter Scott's show for the first time. I left it, assuming that by Saturday the BBC would have put the correct episode in place.

However, when I got to IPlayer on my phone for this episode it now simply states 'not available' which is very frustrating given it's a serialisation.

Come on BBC. It cannot be difficult to simply correct an error and load the right episode onto IPlayer!

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how many versions of the same programme there are on radio iPlayer but there are many hundreds on the TV one.... So that you have different files being used depending on what you are using to access the service ...

Not that simple to debug .. But I hope you have reported it.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I've been listening via IPlayer to Michael Palin reading the serialisation of his diaries 'Halfway to Hollywood' on 4Extra. When I came to listen to episode 5 broadcast on Friday I discovered that IPlayer had recorded 15 minutes of Scott Mills' Radio One show instead, which I found an amusing error when I imagined the number of 4Extra listeners who would encounter Scott's show for the first time. I left it, assuming that by Saturday the BBC would have put the correct episode in place.

However, when I got to IPlayer on my phone for this episode it now simply states 'not available' which is very frustrating given it's a serialisation.

Come on BBC. It cannot be difficult to simply correct an error and load the right episode onto IPlayer!

Radio 1 seems to be 'infecting' quite a few shows at the moment.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1990288
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know how many versions of the same programme there are on radio iPlayer but there are many hundreds on the TV one.... So that you have different files being used depending on what you are using to access the service ...

Given that it was initially Scott Mills that I encountered and then later there was the 'not available' message I took it that someone had already reported it to the BBC as someone for the BBC must have removed Scott Mills and added the 'not available' message.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    I don't know how many versions there are on radio iPlayer but there are many hundreds on the TV one.... So that you have different files being used depending on what you are using to access the service ...

The issue is known about
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_radio_progs/radio4_250714
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is frustrating is that there is no message on the pages of the programmes affected to the effect of 'we'll do our best to get the correct programme on the site as soon as possible'. Rather it just says 'not available'.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,623
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    What is frustrating is that there is no message on the pages of the programmes affected to the effect of 'we'll do our best to get the correct programme on the site as soon as possible'. Rather it just says 'not available'.

Radio is different to TV as it's effectively recorded "off air". It may not be possible to recover the affected programmes.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feedback (Radio 4) will be discussing iplayer problems at 8pm (ie now)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Radio is different to TV as it's effectively recorded "off air". It may not be possible to recover the affected programmes.

Although it surely wouldn't be difficult to directly load them up.
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Feedback (Radio 4) will be discussing iplayer problems at 8pm (ie now)

But will it be available on iPlayer? :D
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    There's a further update this morning, some programmes are now available.
    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_radio_progs/radio4_250714