Options

is my ipod shuffle dead?

hi all!

ive got a shuffle 512mb which has seemingly died on me!

it was working fine , but today, i tried to switch it...and nothing! no green light, and when i plug it into both my comps to test it, still no joy, in fact the usb's don't even seem to recognise the shuffle is even there, as itunes doesnt auto start up , and it doesnt show up in my computer as ipod - and on top no orange light to show its charging

its a first generation shuffle, but has done me no probs so far till 2day, only been used a month or so, was passed on to me by my partner who has never used it altho she had it over a year ago so no warranty either

also cost wise if the battery has died or something which sounds familiar prob wise does anyone know approx how much apple charge to sort this?? ive seen an ipod shuffle again for sale for 30 quid at my local argos so if its not worth it getting fixed i guess ill pick up that one!!

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to my sis's shuffle, twice in a row. Apple didn't give us an explanation of what was going on! Why not get one of the new shuffles? £25 more than what you were saying, for a newer, smaller design, and double the storage!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    thanks mate, did u send your shuffle off to apple? did they charge, and if so how much?

soz for the questions lol! just interested to see if worth getting it looked at just to know what it is, but as u say if they dont bother telling then no point!!!!

im actually more of a fan of the 1st generation chewing gum style player, as the smaller newer ones are just a bit too small for me lol!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I sent mine off to apple, cost nothing. Did you actually register your iPod? Check here, you can type in your serial number to see if you have any warranty left on it: http://www.apple.com/uk/support/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no probs, just gone on it, no warranty left, mite just get it sent off to have it looked at, or as i live in london mite just pop into the ipod apple store in regents street to see what if anything can be done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, That'd be a good idea, it might be a simple fix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    will do, at least apple's website is user friendly lol, managed to take a good look thru the troubleshooter b4 i contact or go to apple store, so wont ( i hope at least) look foolish when they ask me what i have or havent done!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you go to apple today? If so, Any news?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    didnt get a chance 2day, im defo free on friday ths coming week so mite pop in then if not sooner, pm me if you want buddy and ill let u know how i get on if i forget to come back onto the thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just got a bargain on ebay, bought a 1gb shuffle, with docking station, armband, all boxed up for £35 inc postage - well happy!

ill still get this dead one fixed if poss, will pass it on my little sis if it does get mended
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try this download and run the ipod shuffle reset utility
    Click here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kevin88 wrote:
    Try this download and run the ipod shuffle reset utility
    Click here

cool mate, thanks ! ive used run programme rather than saving it, it has downloaded the fixer programme fine, but i have no icon appear in my desktop, so not sure if its auto running?? ill try it out tho anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a USB plug anywhere? I couldnt try that out with mine, My apple plug is Firewire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    found the programme! testing as we speak, i assume its slow? as the ipod shuffle reset utility opens and asks for the ipod to be connected, but as the thing doesnt power up it wont be read by comp..at least to begin with??

tested it also with a usb wall plug , no joy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    update...

didnt work, gonna post it to apple as not gonna get a chance to get into london in the end