Ofcom launching investigation

123457»

Comments

• BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't know much about the race thing going on I'm not watching any more until Conor is gone

The Guardian have run with the number of Ofcom complaints and blown it up into a fully fledged race-row to drag up the past and give BB a dirty name again. That's the only interest the wider media have in BB now, to portray it as the lowest form of entertainment possible.

Ofcom was never going to make Conor leave, they will have no effect on the actual show this year whatsoever. What it can do is damage future series by the publicity generated from this and fearing the same again so sanitising the show, even if they report back clearing C5 of any wrong-doing which is quite likely.

It's the housemates and the public that will see Conor leave, as it should be. When the events play out naturally with as little interference as possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. There's a difference between banter and aggressive ranting and no TV programme should be allowed to get away with it. If Deana feels uncomfortable around him, BB should have sorted it straight away. Previous HMs have been thrown out for less. As for Victor Ebuwa, he is seen as a BB hero for some reason but some people remember him as being a nasty piece of work.

Yep, it's called having an opinion. Unfortunately for yourself you're NOT the only person who has one. Deal with it. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    h102011 wrote: »
    Thank you, my sentiments exactly! Absolutely agree with you, especially how a bully like Victor can now be seen as a hero? :confused:

Amusing. Obviously you have never been bullied before if you're of the inept opinion that i 'bullied' people in the house. Wonder if Emma or Shell (People who i actually KNOW) would see it that way........:rolleyes::yawn::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    I have a vivid recollection of him as a nasty piece of work, and nothing I have seen of him since has done anything to change my opinion.

Happy to disappoint you :D
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    The Champ wrote: »
    Amusing. Obviously you have never been bullied before if you're of the inept opinion that i 'bullied' people in the house. Wonder if Emma or Shell (People who i actually KNOW) would see it that way........:rolleyes::yawn::rolleyes:

Forum members are always quick to call others bullys, I actually fear for them, how they get on with their everyday lives baffle me:confused:
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people would end that sentence with "like that piece of trash Big Brother."...

Honestly, I don't support what Conor did but I find all these BB fans complaining to Ofcom are not only cutting their nose to spite their faces, they're also watching the wrong show if they're looking for decent sorts. The show, for years now, has catered for freaks, outcasts, extremes in society. It therefore seems a bit rich that anyone who, this far down the line, still tunes in every night can get that morally outraged and shocked when an idiot makes some stupid remarks.
    Well his remarks were beyond stupid and awful. I do think you are right in some aspects but I do think OFCOM can't ignore what he said either when so many people complained about it and when people heard it, they were outraged.

It is only human nature I suppose.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the fantasy part that gets me. That implies that he has spent time thinking about raping Deana. He said some disgusting things but I don't for a second think he had been planning it. It was a spur of the moment rant from an ignorant moron but I don't for a second believe he had or has been fantasising about raping her.

It as about rape. He was preteding to do it. Imaginging himself in the person of the rapist. That is clear. He even included the actions. That is a rape fantasy. Describing it that way is just factual.

PS Since when does a fantasy need planning? All fantasies need are imagination.
  • Truth_HurtsTruth_Hurts Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how they always 'launch it'
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [
    Say for example you saw a TV show that showed knife crime and you were shocked and appalled. That knife crime exists is a fact, and by showing it it can only raise awareness of the issue, which is generally a positive thing (though a little unsavoury to witness). Now if you complained about having seen such a thing on TV the only effect it's going to have, if any, is to ensure that we can one day watch TV that's permanently rose tinted, never offends and does nothing to help society, and we can all sleep easier in blissful ignorance of the pour souls who are victims of knife crime. The choice is ours.

So if X drew a knife on BB and stabbed someone with it, would you argue that it was right to broadcast it on the grounds that knife crime exists and we should be aware of it?

I take your point that reality TV cannot be saccharined withoout destroying it But surely there is a balance to be struck as regards someone like Conor. His rant was broadcast. That's fair enough = all women have met a neanderthal like him at some point in their lives; we all know they exist .
    It is what BB did after that appals me - they did nothing. How does that help society? How can women sleep easier in the horrendous knowledge that such behaviour is accepted and being 'normalised'? The man is unhinged - he was even directing oaths and curses at Deana's picture the other night.

Had Conor included a racial slur in his rant, he'd have been out the door that so fast his feet wouldn't have touched the ground. Had he ranted about someone's sexuality or disability, he'd have been gone in a puff of smoke. This is how BB purports to assist public moral education. That is what should have happened here.

But the feeling that I am left with is that since Deana is only a woman, he can say anything he likes. That is what the furore is about. Why aren't women protected as the groups I have mentioned above are?
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he meant it much worse than saying 'up yours' and using a hand gesture with his one finger.
    I think there is a massive over reaction.

No one bats an eyelid if anyone does that and I am sure many here have done it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    How would you like it if someone had send that to you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nisha29 wrote: »
    How would you like it if someone had send that to you

which poster are you asking?
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I love how they always 'launch it'
    yep...................then it goes on a world cruise for all the time it takes.
  • KDDS07KDDS07 Posts: 5,861
    Forum Member
    Swinetown wrote: »
    I don't think he meant it much worse than saying 'up yours' and using a hand gesture with his one finger.
    I think there is a massive over reaction.

No one bats an eyelid if anyone does that and I am sure many here have done it.

Why didn't he just do that then and say "up yours" if that's what he meant. What Conor ACTUALLY SAID is an illustration of what kind of person he really is and what comes spontaneously out of this mouth--at least in my mind--indicates to me what he really thinks. There's no white-washing it. He SAID it out loud to whoever was listening around him.
  • AngelathersAngelathers Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    KDDS07 wrote: »
    Why didn't he just do that then and say "up yours" if that's what he meant. What Conor ACTUALLY SAID is an illustration of what kind of person he really is and what comes spontaneously out of this mouth--at least in my mind--indicates to me what he really thinks. There's no white-washing it. He SAID it out loud to whoever was listening around him.

Good post,I agree.
  • VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the fantasy part that gets me. That implies that he has spent time thinking about raping Deana. He said some disgusting things but I don't for a second think he had been planning it. It was a spur of the moment rant from an ignorant moron but I don't for a second believe he had or has been fantasising about raping her.
    It wasn't one time. It was twice. The first time it was in the heat of the moment and in a rage with Arron in the bathroom. LATER though he did it a second time in sing song at the table for Ashleigh and Luke S.

So while the first time was sort of as you have said the second was NOT. :cool: Kid yourself about it if you need to but please don't try and spin it to make it more palatable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vesna wrote: »
    It wasn't one time. It was twice. The first time it was in the heat of the moment and in a rage with Arron in the bathroom. LATER though he did it a second time in sing song at the table for Ashleigh and Luke S.

So while the first time was sort of as you have said the second was NOT. :cool: Kid yourself about it if you need to but please don't try and spin it to make it more palatable.

Totally agree with you...and you or anyine don't need to move on...we are watching a programme that we are invested in and the news is..it's still on!!
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Champ wrote: »
    Happy to disappoint you :D

By replying to FMs here in the way you do, you certainly aren't disappointing anyone.
  • sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people who complain to OFCOM are sad........that is all

Totally agree :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    BusyV wrote: »
    Big Brother 2012: Ofcom launches investigation into Conor's rant

July 9, 2012 13:11 by Josh Darvill
    TV watchdog Ofcom has confirmed it has launched in investigation into Big Brother.
    The telly regulator is investigating the show broadcast on June 25, which featured Conor’s ranting against fellow housemate Deana.

He had ranted: “Get your epilator and stick it up your a*se. We don’t give a f**k! Stick it up her f**king m*nge stupid b**tard.”

He continued: “I’m gonna play loads of pranks on her [Deana]. F**king piece of s**t, I don’t give a f**k if I’m pulled up to the diary room.”

Ashleigh asked him what he would do if Deana threw water all over him. Conor said that he would “punch” her.

Big Brother issued Conor with an official warning via the Diary Room, which was broadcast the same night.

Many viewers had complained however that Conor should be kicked out of the show.

“Housemates are closely monitored at all times in the Big Brother house and following Conor’s reaction to Deana failing the food-based task he was immediately called into the diary room, warned and reprimanded in accordance with the programme’s procedures,” a statement from Channel 5 said last month.

It continued: “He has fully acknowledged that this was unacceptable. We felt it was important to show that Conor’s behaviour was not condoned by Big Brother or any of the housemates, and that this kind of conduct will not be tolerated in the house.

I can just see the statement BB will deliver next:

'As previously stated it is important to show that Connor's behaviour was not condoned by Big Brother , so we have given him 50K and ordered him to leave the house.':sleep:
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Swinetown wrote: »
    Kool aid?:confused: Isnt that american? do they sell it here? wow never knew that
    Kool-Aid massacre

just drink it, dont think about it
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosiedevon wrote: »
    What happened on this I don't remember

Ofcom are also investigating an episode of Big Brother’s Bit On The Side that aired on July 4.

Victor's comment about the HMs perhaps?.......in hindsight he was right in my opinion......