Joss Stone - where did it go wrong?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I never liked her there was something unlikeable about her and her oversinging at the end of Band Aid 20 really annoyed me off ... she was too much.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her voice.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in the countryside probably go through pain and anguish too I'd imagine.

It ain't all about living in the "projects"...

comparing people living in the countryside as living in pain, to SLAVERY, which is where blues and soul derived from is frankly absurd!

besides, she had a comfortable, middle class, white upbringing.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is very talented but whenever I've seen her on TV I haven't liked her personality. I remember on one show, she was acting in a very arrogant manner, like she is really beautiful and people should be amazed by her.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comparing people living in the countryside as living in pain, to SLAVERY, which is where blues and soul derived from is frankly absurd!

besides, she had a comfortable, middle class, white upbringing.

And do all Soul singers today derive their pain and anguish from Slavery and soul crushing poverty probably not no. I get your point i just think it's a little outdated is all ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    And do all Soul singers today derive their pain and anguish from Slavery and soul crushing poverty probably not no. I get your point i just think it's a little outdated is all ;)

true, but its in the psyche, and it wasnt that long ago that many did experience the aftermath, the lasting legacy, of slavery.

the other point of course is 'are there any great soul singers today'? in the 60's there where alot of great soul singers.... is there really any today who can compare to james brown? aretha? marvin? otis? etc etc etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    true, but its in the psyche, and it wasnt that long ago that many did experience the aftermath, the lasting legacy, of slavery.

the other point of course is 'are there any great soul singers today'? in the 60's there where alot of great soul singers.... is there really any today who can compare to james brown? aretha? marvin? otis? etc etc etc...

Okay in that line of thinking what if it were a Gay person singing of the hardships and struggles against them in modern society today or a single white mother ona council estate struggling to feed her children as long as there is struggle in whatever form you can bring from it great music and a voice of course not always about being black and a slave that was its beginnings yes but we have all moved on :) (well i would hope we would have anyway)

and Erykah Badu, India.Arie, Amy winehouse,Lauryn Hill of cours in now way as good as their earlier counterparts but great none the less
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay in that line of thinking what if it were a Gay person singing of the hardships and struggles against them in modern society today or a single white mother ona council estate struggling to feed her children as long as there is struggle in whatever form you can bring from it great music and a voice of course not always about being black and a slave that was its beginnings yes but we have all moved on :) (well i would hope we would have anyway)

and Erykah Badu, India.Arie, Amy winehouse,Lauryn Hill of cours in now way as good as their earlier counterparts but great none the less

absolutely accept your first para.. yes they can...:)

but thats not joss stones background! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    absolutely accept your first para.. yes they can...:)

but thats not joss stones background! :p

Yes true bt she is soulful none the less slightly less so and yes in her earlier days not wholly convincing but her latter albums and life experience have certainly helped her grow i mean she almost got murdered i mean thats hardship :D
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understood the accent debacle.

She'd lived in the states since she was 13 and the accent had always been there.

She was in that band with Mick Jagger last year or the year before, she seems to still be getting work, just not much commercial success which is a real shame. I love her voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes true bt she is soulful none the less slightly less so and yes in her earlier days not wholly convincing but her latter albums and life experience have certainly helped her grow i mean she almost got murdered i mean thats hardship :D

well im not convinced by her at all...pity..i do like her voice, but for me shes more karaoke soul then the real thing.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Black angle was correct no White British bloke playing blues guitar would ever have got on in the music world, but hey wait - loads did well out of derivative blues. Whys so different for Joss who admittedly does do derivative - and so does Adele and she doesn't get the flak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    If the Black angle was correct no White British bloke playing blues guitar would ever have got on in the music world, but hey wait - loads did well out of derivative blues. Whys so different for Joss who admittedly does do derivative - and so does Adele and she doesn't get the flak.

didnt say it was a rule, but do you think there is that much real emotion in todays music? compare musicians from the 60's, soul or blues with todays watered down bunch and personally i dont see theres any resemblance.

wheres todays clapton? mayall? hendrix? (ive already mentioned soul singers).

tbh i think adele is more soulful then stone, but still nowhere near the greats from the past.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I always found her a bit pretentious to be honest and a huge bore. She especially annoyed me around the time of "Introducing Joss Stone" when she dyed her hair red. Hadn't she released two albums before then? I remember her saying some nonsense about this album being "the real her", hence "introducing", hence all we'd heard her sing before then was somehow fake? That was the real turning point for me when vague interest became a strong dislike.
  • ChickletteChicklette Posts: 5,500
    Forum Member
    Here's the Brit Awards clip, in case anyone wanted to refresh their memory (don't think it's been posted already?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJWO5CLo4zI

Cringe.
  • ChickletteChicklette Posts: 5,500
    Forum Member
    FernandoM wrote: »
    That's true but accents are contagious - she had spent several years in the USA so it was natural she was going to develop an American accent.

Nowadays, however, she has reverted back to her UK accent.

See the second half of this clip from 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C-00InTQp0

The difference between this clip and the Brits clip I just posted is unbelievable!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicklette wrote: »
    Here's the Brit Awards clip, in case anyone wanted to refresh their memory (don't think it's been posted already?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJWO5CLo4zI

Cringe.

It wasn't so much the accent more the persona and whole swagger than went with it just toe curlingly cringe :o
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt say it was a rule, but do you think there is that much real emotion in todays music? compare musicians from the 60's, soul or blues with todays watered down bunch and personally i dont see theres any resemblance.

wheres todays clapton? mayall? hendrix? (ive already mentioned soul singers).

tbh i think adele is more soulful then stone, but still nowhere near the greats from the past.

Joe Bonamassa is doing ok in his genre, but I don't think there is any mass market for new old school blues, most people who like blues and blues derivative rock already have their heroes and heroines.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    If you had never seen her or knew much of her backround and just heard her voice would you then still hold the same opinion.

Also with Joss people talk of the new wave of female singers in the UK with advent of Adele doing so well but way back in 04 joss had cracked America and was making waves there and it seems to have been all but forgotten like a media whitewash.

Soul is about singing from the authentic self, singing from within. Sing it and mean it! It's not just a style or genre.
    Amy and Adele are just more credible (and have better songs!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marcusgv wrote: »
    Soul is about singing from the authentic self, singing from within. Sing it and mean it! It's not just a style or genre.
    Amy and Adele are just more credible (and have better songs!)

Your missing my original point which was what you said soul comes from a place within and is not defined by race, class, or colour ;)

As for the other two being more credible better songs certainly but im just saying she was as successful and elad the way but it has been ignored.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Your missing my original point which was what you said soul comes from a place within and is not defined by race, class, or colour ;)

As for the other two being more credible better songs certainly but im just saying she was as successful and elad the way but it has been ignored.

I'm saying Joss just sings a style not from within. I don't know what you 're saying apart from she was successful once, isn't now....so what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Joe Bonamassa is doing ok in his genre, but I don't think there is any mass market for new old school blues, most people who like blues and blues derivative rock already have their heroes and heroines.

fair point :)
    I'm saying Joss just sings a style not from within.

exactly.... ie 'fake' (or karaoke) she sounds right (vocal tone), but doesnt express soul. soul isnt so much a style of singing but an expression put into it.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does help when you're talking about soul music.
    The point about soul is you gotta be real and that's the one thing Joss Stone is not!

Utter nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all went wrong when she came back to the UK with a dodgy American style and ever since then has never recovered which was a shame because I really liked her at the time.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the comments about being 'real' to sing soul believably are true. Her problem is she doesn't seem genuine because she's too aware of herself..too 'posey'.
    It puts people off.;)