New Nexus 7 Next Week

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alleged official press shots have just leaked: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/21/4543926/updated-nexus-7-tablet-press-images-leak

Looking at that, I have to say that I'm really not a fan of the new design. If the logo on the back wasn't sideways it would be ok for me, but it looks terrible like that.

Plus the speakers are right where your hands would go if you held it in landscape and there is a pretty large bezel on this device. It looks more "industrial" but I'm not sure if the design is an improvement on the old model at all. At least it's way more powerful though.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Alleged official press shots have just leaked: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/21/4543926/updated-nexus-7-tablet-press-images-leak

Looking at that, I have to say that I'm really not a fan of the new design. If the logo on the back wasn't sideways it would be ok for me, but it looks terrible like that.

Plus the speakers are right where your hands would go if you held it in landscape and there is a pretty large bezel on this device. It looks more "industrial" but I'm not sure if the design is an improvement on the old model at all. At least it's way more powerful though.

I'm not keen on the price increase that comes with it, I did hope it was going to be cheaper.

As for the look, it's okay, nothing amazing.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »

I have to say that what it looks like from the back, the side that i never look at, is the last thing on my list of priorities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I have to say that what it looks like from the back, the side that i never look at, is the last thing on my list of priorities.

Well for me it is. I'm not going to walk around with a fugly device unless it had revolutionary capabilities. I don't like the design.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    perhaps if it was bright pink with spots its aesthetic quality might be a consideration, but this.... is a black rectangle, just like every other tablet.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "but maybe even a 1920x1200 display. "
    Yes, more useful than a 16:9 1080p screen, assuming the leaked ad is not faked.

Sounds a winner. I'd hazard a guess at £210 UK price for the $229 16GB one.
    In screen resolution it is over 2.25 better than the original Nexus 7 and 3 times better than the Mini.

Can someone please explain why it is ugly, 'far too ugly to carry around'.
    Maybe I'm far too old to see it all.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New specs indicate a display resolution at 1920x1200 which can only be a good thing in my eyes.

Just waiting to hear where you can buy it in the UK. Definetely want one.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    New specs indicate a display resolution at 1920x1200 which can only be a good thing in my eyes.

Just waiting to hear where you can buy it in the UK. Definetely want one.

the original shifted pretty well didn't it? Carphone Warehouse, John Lewis, Argos, etc.... I got mine in Tesco.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    perhaps if it was bright pink with spots its aesthetic quality might be a consideration, but this.... is a black rectangle, just like every other tablet.

A pink tablet:)

I'll probably get the 16 GB version as I already have 2 other tablets 32 GB is probably overkill. It's the 1080p screen that interests me having seen the screen on the s4 and HTC one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus7 2 shows up in CPW stock inventory.

There's 2 - one for 16GB and 32GB, both Wi-Fi. No prices yet.

30th July seems to be the alleged date the tablet will go on sale to the public.

Can't wait to get my hands on this. Just hope the prices are reasonable.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122494-nexus-7-2-turns-up-in-cpw-stock-inventory-in-uk
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I would like a slimmer and lighter full size iPad (under 600g) but I'm not sure that will happen.

Well the ancient original Archos 101 was 480 grams and 12mm thick. so has to be easily achievable.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pink tablet:)

I'll probably get the 16 GB version as I already have 2 other tablets 32 GB is probably overkill. It's the 1080p screen that interests me having seen the screen on the s4 and HTC one.

I think there is a certain type of consumer who would buy a pink tablet "because it's pink" rather than because of its specs. Google could pick up a few extra sales that way, because the device is reasonably priced as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benchmark results reveal it's slightly faster than the Nexus 4.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/23/second-generation-nexus-7-razor-benchmarks-specs/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus7 2 in the flesh. Unboxing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2ZsvwRMuY

I'm sold. 32GB Nexus7 2 here i come!

Also with its 1920x1200 pixels of resolution it sports the highest pixel density ever on a tablet. The 323ppi count is just north of the 320ppi mark Apple called Retina Display upon the iPhone 4 introduction, as with that density a person with perfect vision wouldn't be able to tell the individual pixels from the typical distance you look at a smartphone.

It's also cited with 300 nits of brightness and 178 degree viewing angles and 10% lighter than its predecessor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is a certain type of consumer who would buy a pink tablet "because it's pink" rather than because of its specs. Google could pick up a few extra sales that way, because the device is reasonably priced as well.

I would buy a pink tablet only if iit had the same specs as the other colours. I'd like a pink device. At the moment all my devices are white.

Anyone know what time the conference starts today? And will it be available for live streaming?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what time the conference starts today? And will it be available for live streaming?

5pm UK time i think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    5pm UK time i think.

• BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would buy a pink tablet only if iit had the same specs as the other colours. I'd like a pink device. At the moment all my devices are white.

Just buy a Pink case :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzS6BxHEns :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

5PM UK Time available at http://www.youtube.com/google
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just buy a Pink case :p

I already have pink cases on all my devices :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    5PM UK Time available at http://www.youtube.com/google

Thanks
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you use your Nexus 7 for, but I only really watch videos and surf the net, so none of the improvements really make the extra cost worthwhile.

Pretty much the same mate.

However, I tried to watch a video off a website the other day, and it just "stutter-stutter". I then tried watching it on my Nexus 4, and it played perfectly. So clearly it struggles with video.

Also, web browsing can be very slow on some sites (using chrome but I like the functionality), and the overall responsiveness of the device is lacking compared to the Nexus 4.

So the performance increases will make this a much nicer thing to use even if you don't use it for anything else.