A terrible occurence

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    ...and stuff which NEVER HAPPENED. Sorry, you guys are all being trolled. OP's a WUM. There may be a decent discussion to be had about this sh*t, but this thread really ain't it.

No need to let a good convo go to waste though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah? Well try telling the guy lying in front of the co op with his jam jar all smashed and the stone marks on him that!:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBHM wrote: »
    I went to a mix raced school right from the get go when I started school in 1978, and until I was 11 and we went to different schools, my best friend in all the world was a black guy who was bullied all the time.
    He was not bullied for his colour tho, but for being at least a foot taller than the rest of us.
    My point (which I knew you got) was that there is a big difference betwen being overtly offensive and choosing a figure of history - which in this case was NOT meant to be a racist figurehead - to dress up as for a fun time at a fancy dress party.
    I am glad to see tha back of words like 'darkie' and '****' etc I truly am because these do come from a racist base, but my objection is to the idea that we can no longer make the slightest comment, observation or joke without being called racist.

YET, as a white male, one of my top ten ever comedy sketches is the 'Goodness Gracious Me' English Restaurant one. It takes the piss out of white men, and is as racist as me making a joke about banana boats for instance, yet I don't feel the slightest prang of offence from it because I SEE the observation being made, the humour in it and that no offence has been intended.
    What a shame the only acceptable face of such humour is when directed the way of the white man.

People just need to be less sensitive and try to see the line between harmless fun and intended offence.

The Goodness Gracious Me restaurant joke is funny. And it totally pisses all over what it is to be an English guy on a night out.

Maybe it's just funny because we've never really seen asian folk doing it on UK tv before.

We've slagged everyone. Now we're waiting for everyone to slag us white Brits. then it'll be Status Quo!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Good egg wrote: »
    Oh yeah? Well try telling the guy lying in front of the co op with his jam jar all smashed and the stone marks on him that!:mad:
    I tried but he turned out to be a figment of your imagination.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would, but given that he's entirely fictitious, it doesn't really seem worth my while to leave the house and go to your town, whichever town that is.

Haven't you got him an ambulance yet? Come on, it's a childrens' cartoon you're living in. They usually turn up within seconds on those, even on a Friday night.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Where were Noddy, Big Ears and PC Plod while all this stoning was going on in ToyTown? :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Where were Noddy, Big Ears and PC Plod while all this stoning was going on in ToyTown? :mad:

I sincerely hope you're not reffering to members of my family with that post:mad:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope you're not reffering to members of my family with that post:mad:

Why - is there a resemblance?