Options

Exclusive Sonic game announced for Wii/DS; Sonic Colours

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
Sega have just announced a new game in development called Sonic Colours exclusively for NIntendo Wii and DS.

Teaser Trailer here

Who knows how this one may turn out! It's interesting to note that we only see Sonic and Tails in the trailer, that'a good start.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurrah! Hopefully the game will be good. I do like that teaser trailer :)

Sonic Unleashed was very underrated (360 and Wii versions). Hopefully Colours will be similar to that, but with no stupid werehog :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, more info <here>

I have hope for this, there is said to be a mixture of 2D/3D platforming sections and Sega say that this will definitely be the game that see's Sonic returning to his roots, so that means no more gimmicks and silly features.

Definitely one to watch out for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Footage is starting to trickle through now and I have to say it looks REALLY good. I have high hopes for this game. Just be warned, the player is a real spaz and doesn't know what he's doing. Other than that it looks a technical show-piece (Sonic Team games on Wii ususlally are) and a decent 3D Sonic game thus far.

Sonic Colours In Action :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Boy am I gonna come across as today's misery, but like the new Zelda, again this looks crap to me. It's basically the same push forward on the stick rubbish that we've been playing for years, but with some peculiar 2D levels tacked in. Utter guff. I'd have expected some decent development beyond Sonic Adventure on the DC. Funny looking 2D levels that aren't a patch on the original MD games don't cut the mustard.

They want real money for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Were you a fan of Sonic Adventure 1/2 on the Dreamcast?

I really enjoy 3D Sonic games, especially Sonic Unleashed on the Wii, the actual Sonic sections are great fun to play. They have their own style about them that no other 3D platfomer has. So I do think that's a matter of taste. Sonic Colours is all Sonic stages and no filler and it looks very impressive to me.

Couple of bits of footage (with much better gamers playing them thank god) which look SUPERB in my opinion.

<Sweet Mountain> and <Tropical Resort>

This to me looks like the 3D Sonic game we've all been waiting for.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for Sonic games or Sonic Team games even, after all I really enjoyed NiGHTS Journey of Dreams, think that's a great game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Take no notice of me, 2D. I'm just a misery! :D

I quite liked the Adventure games on the DC. Lots of fun, but they needed developing into a decent 3D direction imho, like the Mario games. They're too focused on speed, and not enough on platforming for my liking, which results in the player usually just pushing forward on the analogue stick to the end of the level. Nothing really challenging or fun about that, and this new one looks much the same to me.

By the time we had all the countless sequels, I was left wondering just how many times people were prepared to pay over and over again for the same game. There's literally nothing between them. I really, really tried to like the Secret Rings one too, but it just lost me in a sea of awful, hate-filled controls. Totally killed the game dead, in spite of beautiful visuals.

Get rid of the 3D bits, and this could be interesting. Otherwise, develop a decent game around the character, or let him go.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Kal on this. A lot of the game just seems like you have to move the analogue stick left or right, whilst the game makes Sonic run for you. It stops briefly for you to make Sonic walk and jump around ro rings, then back to the "everything's being done for you" that the 3D element to the game is bringing.

If they could do Donkey Kong Country Returns in full 2D with beautiful 3D graphics, why couldn't they have just did the same with Sonic. At least Sonic 4 looks like it will be completely 2D with 3D graphics. I'd prefer Sonic 4 over this it would seem going by those trailers.

The guy playing the Sweet Mountain level though has a cool t-shirt at the end that I now want!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know this was just for nintendo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I agree with Kal on this. A lot of the game just seems like you have to move the analogue stick left or right, whilst the game makes Sonic run for you. It stops briefly for you to make Sonic walk and jump around ro rings, then back to the "everything's being done for you" that the 3D element to the game is bringing.

If they could do Donkey Kong Country Returns in full 2D with beautiful 3D graphics, why couldn't they have just did the same with Sonic. At least Sonic 4 looks like it will be completely 2D with 3D graphics. I'd prefer Sonic 4 over this it would seem going by those trailers.

The guy playing the Sweet Mountain level though has a cool t-shirt at the end that I now want!

I'm sorry but I think you are getting a little confused. The game doesn't make Sonic "run for you" at all, no Sonic game does that. Already you can see there is more interaction in the stages than Unleashed, and you can also tell it controls a hell of a lot better too. You try running through Sonic Unleashed daytime stages first time through and making it look good ;) it's not gonna happen.

Then there's the fact that Sonic Team have given the fans everything they were asking, all Sonic stages and no filler. So what's the problem. I'm guessing you either love these Sonic games or not.

Sonic 4 is coming out for pure 2D sonic gameplay, this is taking the series further in it's 3D direction, which to be fair the main things that every let the previous games down is the pointless integration of other gameplay gimmicks which is exactly what this game has addressed.

As a side note, it looks gorgeous! :)
    Didn't know this was just for nintendo.

Nintendo Wii exclusive with a DS version (which will hopefully be 2D) coming too.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love the Sonic games, I play all 4 for the Mega Drive quite regularly. I just didn't get the 'wow' I was expecting from watching that gameplay video. I'm probably just not a fan of 3D in Sonic games, I don't think it suits it in the same way Mario does. It would be much better as an all 2D platformer with 3D graphics that's nothing but Sonic levels, no filler. Imagine the Donkey Kong Country Returns trailer, but with Sonic instead of Donkey Kong and the level looking like a revamped Emerald Hill Zone. That's what I'd like to see in a new Sonic game.
  • Options
    SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iv only just recently seen some gameplay vids. The game looks superb. I was worried we would not see a game that built on the unleashed daytime levels again, so its good to put my worrys to rest. Hopefully it gets fair reviews, which unleashed didn't get from from some morons in the gaming media. I loved unleashed on the 360.

The game looks much better than sonic 4 imo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, I'm looking forward to Sonic Colours more than Sonic 4. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well thought I'd resurrect this thread with the impending release of the best 3D Sonic game ever made. NGamer just done a in-depth preview on it and were very impressed with it, they said they feel from the code they played that Sonic finally get's the 3D game he deserves with tight and responsive controls with a good camera (fancy that!)

Also come across a cool new vid here which shows some of the co-op modes being played, looks quite interesting in a retro kinda way, which to me highlights the direction this game always intended to take, and that is, Sonic going back to gameplay basics with none of the gimmicks we've seen before, just fast and fun platforming the way it was always meant to be, all thriller and no filler.

Also here is a new video showcasing Planet Wisp. This game just keeps looking better and better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    w00t!! PIcked up the new NGamer magazine today from Smiths and it had the new review for Sonic Colours.... *drum roll*

86/100

Quote:

Colours rockets Sonic closer to the stratospheric heights of past glories and hints at a great future. Welcome back, old firend, it's been TOO LONG!

Wooohooo!! HE'S BACK!

My most anticipated game this year, only a coupel of weeks to go now. :cool::cool:

Here's some nice new footage to whet your appetite: <click> :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have to say, this looks absolutely fantastic and the Sonic game we have wanted ever since Sonic 2. I was sceptical at first, but clearly from the videos you can see they have put gameplay at the top of the list of priorities. This was the video that convinced me. :)

When's it out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great to see you've had a change of heart on this one Kal. November the 12th is the release date!

That's a great vid, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graphically this game looks very good. The wii can actually do some very advanced and high quality graphics, given the right development team, and production values.

That 86/100 review score is promising but I'll wait to see what other reviews say. I've been waiting a convincingly good 3D sonic game for a long while now. I hope this is it. the 2D Sonic 4 is getting good review, lets hope the good reviews continue for this game, and Sonics reputation will start to take an upturn again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have faith Davonator, have faith. :cool:
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have faith Davonator, have faith. :cool:

Just adding to the good news
    http://www.tssznews.com/2010/10/21/report-910-nintendo-power-review-for-sonic-colors/

I'm pleased SEGA have done what i've been wanting them to do for ages.......go back to basics. I thought that the problem with Sonic over the last few years was that it was way too overbloated, with so many silly side characters. I always thought that they needed to cull the supporting characters.

Here's how ridiculous it got.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Sonic_Heroes_final.bmp/800px-Sonic_Heroes_final.bmp.png

Yes Mario has quite a few extra characters, but they were slowly introduced over 25 years, Sonics seemed to be crammed in over 15

For me Sonic should just be about Sonic, Tails, Robotnik and Knuckles......that's it. No Shadow, no Amy Rose, no Blaze the cat.......etc. etc. It looks like they're going that way

oooh i'm heartless aren't I :p
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Just adding to the good news
    http://www.tssznews.com/2010/10/21/report-910-nintendo-power-review-for-sonic-colors/

I'm pleased SEGA have done what i've been wanting them to do for ages.......go back to basics. I thought that the problem with Sonic over the last few years was that it was way too overbloated, with so many silly side characters. I always thought that they needed to cull the supporting characters.

Here's how ridiculous it got.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Sonic_Heroes_final.bmp/800px-Sonic_Heroes_final.bmp.png

Yes Mario has quite a few extra characters, but they were slowly introduced over 25 years, Sonics seemed to be crammed in over 15

For me Sonic should just be about Sonic, Tails, Robotnik and Knuckles......that's it. No Shadow, no Amy Rose, no Blaze the cat.......etc. etc. It looks like they're going that way

oooh i'm heartless aren't I :p

I thought the Cat was called Big. But i do agree i don't like the extra characters.
    Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is the only good 3D Sonic game to date. Colours looks quite good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picked up the new ONM today and they review Sonic Colours and gave it.... 86%

Quote:

"Colous hits the jackpot for Sonic fans. It's one of his best outings since the Dreamcast days. Round of applause for Sonic Team - The Sonic cycle has finally been broken!"

Also confirmed is full CCP support if you are that way inclined. The only downsides they said was that the multiplayer modes were a bit pants, but that's not what we care about! The single player game is excellent! Not long to go. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Colous hits the jackpot for Sonic fans. It's one of his best outings since the Dreamcast days. Round of applause for Sonic Team - The Sonic cycle has finally been broken!"

The Dreamcast game was terrible, it's the GC game SA2B that was Sonics peak.

Still can't decide wether to get this or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you thought the original game on DC was "terrible" then I suggest you probably pass on this. :)
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,724
    Forum Member
    I wasn't that keen on Sonic Adventure on the DC but the second one was much better. Is this game on DS as well?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Sonic colours demo is available on Nintendo channel for DS.
    Ive just played it and it's very good, much faster than sonic 4.