Options

Use Sky+HD for Freesat HD after contract fininshes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
Hi All,

I am just about to order Sky +HD and want to check a couple of things quickly:

If I cancel my contract after 12 months, I will own the dish and the Sky+HD digibox. I will then be able to watch Freesat HD on the Sky+HD box with no subscription fee, but I will not be able to record using the SKy+HD box.

Is that right?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    cocksy_boy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am just about to order Sky +HD and want to check a couple of things quickly:

If I cancel my contract after 12 months, I will own the dish and the Sky+HD digibox. I will then be able to watch Freesat HD on the Sky+HD box with no subscription fee, but I will not be able to record using the SKy+HD box.

Is that right?

Yes, and you will be able to watch a few more channels than you can on a Freesat box.

You own the dish and box from the first day, they are always your's.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cocksy_boy wrote: »
    If I cancel my contract after 12 months, I will own the dish and the Sky+HD digibox.
    Yes.
    I will then be able to watch Freesat HD on the Sky+HD box with no subscription fee, but I will not be able to record using the SKy+HD box.
    Yes - although I'm not sure there is such a product as 'FreeSat HD'. You would revert to 'FreeSat from Sky' and as you have an HD box a number of HD channels would also be available to you. Probably:

BBC HD
    BBC One HD
    ITV HD
    Channel 4 HD
    Luxe HD

It is possible to retain the recording facilities by paying £10pcm. It's not a very good long-term solution unless you desperately need C4 HD. Long-term you'd be better off buying a Freesat PVR and taking a one-time hit. The downside is that Freesat is not gaining HD channels very quickly and C4 HD is one of those it doesn't currently have.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    BBC HD
    BBC One HD
    ITV HD
    Channel 4 HD
    Luxe HD
    Plus (AFAIK) FiveHD - which Freesat does not have either!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Plus (AFAIK) FiveHD - which Freesat does not have either!
    Is it? For some reason I thought that Five HD was part of the entertainment pack.

If not then it's doubly annoying. Come the new year there's new CSI seasons starting and it'd make life a lot easier if I could farm them off to my Freesat PVR :mad:
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Is it? For some reason I thought that Five HD was part of the entertainment pack.
    No! Seems to be FTV with any valid viewing card - exactly the same as C4HD!

From http://about.five.tv/press/press-releases/Five-to-Make-HD-Debut-on-Sky-this-Summer

Notes to editors
    "Five HD will be available without additional subscription to viewers with Sky+HD boxes, a Sky viewing card and an HD-ready television set."
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine why anyone who has had a PVR like Sky+HD would ever go back to a plain digibox even one with HD? I like HD but if I had to choose between HD or the PVR functions the PVR would win every day. (Except for live football of course:D)