Upscaling components for TV

Now that my HDMI cables have arrived I have to configure my components to offer the best signal to my new TV.
I have a Cambridge Audio upscaling DVD player and a Virgin Media + box (soon to upgrade to HD content)
Can someone tell me the best format ie. 720p, 1080i etc. to set these at for the best PQ on my Samsung LE40C650.
Cheers

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a cop out but the best way is to try each resolution and see which is best for each piece of connected equipment. For example it may be 576p for the DVD player and 1080i for the V+.

You'll only know when you try and if you can't tell any difference then it doesn't matter which you choose.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with Bobcar. It depends how good your TV is at deinterlacing and scaling.

I sell, install and calibrate video scalers used with projectors and TVs to get the absolute best picture quality for the client. The golden rule with those products is "give the scaler the original signal at native resolution". IOW R2 DVD @ 576i or p depending on the player's abilities, Sky @ 1080i for HD and 576i for SD, Blu-ray @ 1080p/24 or 1080i/60.

Try running at the native resolution from your sources and let the TV do the scaling.