1st semi final thread 19th May 2015

1192021222325»

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed - Armeina was the shock qualifier of the night, a total shambles. What are they not denying exactly.

Would have been much more fun if Finland or even Belarus or Denamark were in their place

I wouldn't say Armenia were a shock qualifier. In fact, along with Russia they were only really the sure qualifier :p
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Wish one of the other others had gone through instead of the contrived mess that was Armenia.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    It is a pity she didn't let us hear the presenters speaking English. Let's hope Graham knows when to keep his gob shut on Saturday.

I do like Graham's commentary style, he's no Terry (then again, who is!), but he's got his own way.

I did think Mel did talk a bit too much last night. During the interval I put some music on.
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a pity she didn't let us hear the presenters speaking English. Let's hope Graham knows when to keep his gob shut on Saturday.

Agree. It was v. annoying. I don't think she stopped to catch her breathe. Surprised we didn't get a running commentary from her during the songs! Graham does a pretty good job usually. He hasn't annoyed me yet!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish one of the other others had gone through instead of the contrived mess that was Armenia.

Denmark ... no brainer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed - Armeina was the shock qualifier of the night, a total shambles. What are they not denying exactly.

Would have been much more fun if Finland or even Belarus or Denamark were in their place

Agreed tho I don't remember the Belarus entry so it obviously didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Denmark's song was catchy. Finland's was unforgettable. Armenia's was just dreary!!
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed tho I don't remember the Belarus entry so it obviously didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Denmark's song was catchy. Finland's was unforgettable. Armenia's was just dreary!!
    Possibly the nicest thing anyone's said here about it ;)

But come on people, we do need at least one song with a proper political message in the final (i.e. Armenia)...! :p
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a pity she didn't let us hear the presenters speaking English.
    That's really unfortunate because Mirjam Weichselbraun (the blonde girl) sounds very sexy when she's speaking English. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Possibly the nicest thing anyone's said here about it ;)

But come on people, we do need at least one song with a proper political message in the final (i.e. Armenia)...! :p

Er well I'm half Finnish so I'm a bit biaised :blush:
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armenia were dire. There were clear tuning issues and their vocals were all over the place. The song was terrible. Scott Mills' comnent at the end of the song said it all. I am v. surprised they got through but it seems to be all about politics these days. Denmark and Netherlands were far superior but didn't get through.

If it's all about politics then why did Denmark win two years ago and Netherlands come 2nd last year?

Denmark sent the worst song of the competition ( besides Finland )
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denmark ... no brainer

Denmark was better than several that qualified, I'd say it was better than the Danish one that won. Not the best this year, but it easily deserved to get through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    If it's all about politics then why did Denmark win two years ago and Netherlands come 2nd last year?

Because obviously they had no neighbour help this year, maybe they had more hype before as well, maybe the draw was worse last night. Though that Emilie Forest song was very middle of the road.

Anyway nobody's pretending Eurovision is just about the music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    I liked Armenia. Romania is the worst out of the qualifiers IMO. Netherlands were the worst on the night so am not surprised even slightly that they didn't go through.

I didn't like Armenia that much, but Romania was DEADLY boring. The Dutch one was just annoying....'iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denmark = abysmal. My 39th place. Glad to see the back of it.

Should have sent Hotel A :mad:
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo Denmark was better live than I expected :blush: Sounded Beatles-like and fun. I really didn't rate the song before.
  • KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Because obviously they had no neighbour help this year, maybe they had more hype before as well, maybe the draw was worse last night. Though that Emilie Forest song was very middle of the road.

Anyway nobody's pretending Eurovision is just about the music.

The Netherlands had literally no hype last year and were appearing in the bottom 10 in nearly all fan polls. Belgium didn't qualify last year with a crap song and did qualify this year because they sent a good one. The Danish singer was very offputting to watch and probably put people off, and the less said about the Dutch performance the better..! So I would say it has quite a fair amount to do with how bad the song is.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Watched a bit of this. Was the Moldovan singer really trying to act straight with that scantily clad lady whilst those George Michael backing dancer escapees gyrated around the stage? Didn't make sense!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    The Netherlands had literally no hype last year and were appearing in the bottom 10 in nearly all fan polls. Belgium didn't qualify last year with a crap song and did qualify this year because they sent a good one. The Danish singer was very offputting to watch and probably put people off, and the less said about the Dutch performance the better..! So I would say it has quite a fair amount to do with how bad the song is.

I don't think qualification is at all purely about whether the song is good. Though the Dutch song this year was pretty bad and her performance was ok but it couldn't hide the weaknesses.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Imo Denmark was better live than I expected :blush: Sounded Beatles-like and fun. I really didn't rate the song before.
    Yes - agree absolutely.
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    I don't think qualification is at all purely about whether the song is good. Though the Dutch song this year was pretty bad and her performance was ok but it couldn't hide the weaknesses.

Obviously the performance is vital as well, but that's all part of the package. People don't bother to go to gigs of bands with a bad live reputation, no matter how much they like them in studio.

Every country participating this year except the Czech Republic has qualified at least once, so hope never dies. ;-)
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Denmark ... no brainer

For me Belarus or Moldova
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »

Denmark sent the worst song of the competition ( besides Finland )

Because the voting system is different in the semi-finals to the final. In the semi-finals it's based on the overall percentage of the vote each country gets, so maybe Armenia got a huge surge of votes from neighbouring countires which put it into the final, whereas in the final it is based on how the song faired in each country and based on a points system, so even if Denmark or Netherlands didn;t come top in every country if they were consistently near the top most of the time then they stood a good chance of winning.

I thought Denmark song was quite catchy but each to their own :)
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the voting system is different in the semi-finals to the final. In the semi-finals it's based on the overall percentage of the vote each country gets, so maybe Armenia got a huge surge of votes from neighbouring countires which put it into the final, whereas in the final it is based on how the song faired in each country and based on a points system, so even if Denmark or Netherlands didn;t come top in every country if they were consistently near the top most of the time then they stood a good chance of winning.

I thought Denmark song was quite catchy but each to their own :)

The voting system is exactly the same in both, but the full results aren't released until after the final. The ten countries with the most points qualify.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Mel was very annoying - she said some funny things, but went on far too much. And often wittered on about how much she fancied the male singers. The skit in the cake shop was also very cringeworthy! I hope she tones it down for tonight.

I thought Russia was the best of the first semi, though expect the Ukraine conflict will still lose them points.

Serbia is the other one that stood out for me, but I really don't know if it'll end up doing really badly or really well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I found Mel really annoying too. I hope she's not invited back next year.

Didn't Sarah Cawood do it for a few years? I enjoyed listening to her.