Options

The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question Time has a respect it doesn't deserve. Does anyone learn anything from that show? The audience seem entrenched in their opinions and the politicians use it as a platform for the same old spin. They also get celebs on to offer their opinions a la The Wright Stuff.

Yet you compare it to TWS, doesn't Mathew Wright and the people who phone in have entrenched opinions, as for celebs on QT, how many of them are failed boyband / girlband members or actors from soaps hardly anyone watches, just a thought for you to ponder
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Yet you compare it to TWS, doesn't Mathew Wright and the people who phone in have entrenched opinions, as for celebs on QT, how many of them are failed boyband / girlband members or actors from soaps hardly anyone watches, just a thought for you to ponder

You were the one that asked how you could compared TWS to QT. I answered.

TWS may be more prolific with celebs but what exactly did comedian and faded actor Russell Brand bring to QT?
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Antony Costa starring in Tommy, the tale about a boy who cannot talk, starring a man who cannot sing.

It is a tale of a boy who is "deaf, dumb and blind". Anthony Costa is not the star. It is Joe Mc Elderry who plays Tommy. And who has a great voice!
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    It is a tale of a boy who is "deaf, dumb and blind". Anthony Costa is not the star. It is Joe Mc Elderry who plays Tommy. And who has a great voice!

Great singing voice, arguably but his camp Geordie talk is torture to my ears.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Antony Costa starring in Tommy, the tale about a boy who cannot talk, starring a man who cannot sing.
    Gill P wrote: »

I bet when anyone tells a joke, you get out your pad and pens and write a detailed list of any possible factual inaccuracies...
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I bet when anyone tells a joke, you get out your pad and pens and write a detailed list of any possible factual inaccuracies...

:D

I was going to reply to that post. Everything you said was still correct.
    You just missed extra details because it made it funnier.

I laughed anyway at your joke. ;-)
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seema still MIA so another week with Chiclet Teeth. Must be embarassing for Wrighty to own up to losing another staff member hence carrying on like she never even existed.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Seema still MIA so another week with Chiclet Teeth. Must be embarassing for Wrighty to own up to losing another staff member hence carrying on like she never even existed.

At least it's not The Chomper, my heart sinks when I hear her dulcet tones. Seriously, how difficult can it be to find someone easy on the ears and eyes with a non-distracting set of teeth?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Matthew but I think he should retire from this show now. Sometimes the way he speaks to callers is just awful and I don't enjoy watching with him anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He asks a question of a caller or even a panelist and they barely get half a sentence out before he interrupts to reassert his stated POV or correct them before they've even said anything meaningful. He's an egotistical narcissist. Fortunately for him he's an entertaining one which is why this show lacks spark when he's not fronting it. Others are more capable of producing a more temperate talk show but without his weirdness (he is bloody weird!) it wouldn't have that same watchability long-term.

Better the Devil you know....
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I like Matthew but I think he should retire from this show now. Sometimes the way he speaks to callers is just awful and I don't enjoy watching with him anymore.

I've been thinking this for a while. He generally did not want to be there when he came off holiday. Plus I think the format of the show drives him around the bend.. "If I have to be pleasant from another reject from Home and Away..."

Surely we can have running weeks when we get Alexis Conrad, Anne Diamond and Matt barbet
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He asks a question of a caller or even a panelist and they barely get half a sentence out before he interrupts to reassert his stated POV or correct them before they've even said anything meaningful. He's an egotistical narcissist. Fortunately for him he's an entertaining one which is why this show lacks spark when he's not fronting it. Others are more capable of producing a more temperate talk show but without his weirdness (he is bloody weird!) it wouldn't have that same watchability long-term.

I agree with almost every word of yours Straker.

I did though misread "bloody weird" as body weird at first, but is just as accurate due to his strange facial contortions.

There's many others I'd like to see guest present, starting with Martin Clunes, but then I am rather fond of Martin Clunes.
    (Said with a characteristic, MW fey, cat bum mouth expression.)
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Cates is showing herself to be intelligent and articulate, with an understanding of the stories she's reviewing in the papers.

Shame Matthew can't let her get a sentence out without interupting.

Heaven forbid he let an opportunity pass to show that he knows the in and outs of every story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Dalglish is clearly a good parent. His daughter is a credit to him. Shame she's stuck presenting a footie show on C5!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    Kelly Catges is showing herself to be intelligent and articulate, with an understanding of the stories she's reviewing in the papers.

Heaven forbid he let an opportunity pass to show that he knows the in and outs of every story.

Yes, good guest. Must admit, having no interest in football, I wasn't looking forward to her but my initial impression is that she is probably wasted on a football show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those keeping note, today's Labour Leadership rant comes in @10.16 and lasts for about three minutes.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those keeping note, today's Labour Leadership rant comes in @10.16 and lasts for about three minutes.

I thought of you Straker when this was on, he's unbelievable :D
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for letting us all know, although I was watching, I must have dozed off......big thanks (rolls eyes)
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this post, half the entertainment value of the show is wondering what Matthew is going to say and do next!
    Yes he drives us mad, but at least it's not bland and boring. Alexis is a nice guy, but I was bored with his presenting of the show. I like Matt Barbett, but not for more than a few days at a time. It's Matthew's weirdness that keeps me watching.

The only presenter I want when Matthew is on his hols is Richard......please. :p
  • Options
    ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking this for a while. He generally did not want to be there when he came off holiday. Plus I think the format of the show drives him around the bend.. "If I have to be pleasant from another reject from Home and Away..."

Surely we can have running weeks when we get Alexis Conrad, Anne Diamond and Matt barbet

This would be so much better. I have stopped watching I was so annoyed with the rude way Matthew treats callers.
  • Options
    man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker, more labour coming up in the papers and the first item included Corbyn as well. Rejoice.

My my Matthew other groups are skewing the labour vote. For a journo you are really slow with this info as its been known for weeks. Now who would these people be i wonder???:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was unexpected at the end of today's show, a goodbye for Grimbo.
    It was nice of Matthew to acknowledge her leaving.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    Kelly Cates is showing herself to be intelligent and articulate, with an understanding of the stories she's reviewing in the papers.

Quite often it isn't about him asserting his point of view, which obviously he does do, but more often than not he interrupts an interesting point being made just because he's seen an opportunity to make a really crap joke or rubbish pun based on what that person has said.
    The problem with this is is that I usually want to hear that person's point as it often looks to be leading to something interesting. But then you have Matthew jumping in with his 'Colin Hunt' style of humour where he'll just spew out any old verbal diarrhea because somebody has said something which makes of him think of a crap joke and he just can't help himself.

If anyone doesn't know what 'Colin Hunt' style humour is just do a search on youtube for 'Colin Hunt Fast Show' and you'll see this annoying arsehole character who no one can have a conversation with because he's always jumping in at every single opportunity to make a desperately crap joke based on what has just been said.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    That was unexpected at the end of today's show, a goodbye for Grimbo.
    It was nice of Matthew to acknowledge her leaving.

Just watched it. How lovely. Hope she has a lovely life up there. I love the name Dorothy too.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind his never ending obsession with the labour leadership election if he didn't have to tell everybody the entire situation every time it's being discussed like the story has just broken. When Jemma was reading the story yesterday (or Monday) and Matthew spent 3 minutes updating us AGAIN on the entire story from start to finish, the look on her face was "I know, I've read the story for the past few weeks like you have".

Nice goodbye for Grimbo today, what on earth will she do with herself in the mornings?
This discussion has been closed.