Options

F1 Korea Recording

BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone have a Freesat+ box that actually handled recording all of Sunday morning's F1 fiasco? (Fantastic final result though :) Go Alonso!)

Mainly due to rain on the freshly laid track the race was both delayed and interrupted. So the original schedule of BBC 1 6:00am - 9:15am was revised to be BBC 1 until 9:30am and then switch over to BBC 2 until 10:30am.

My Foxsat HDR recorded only the BBC 1 bit from 6:00am to 9:30am. The recording is a series linked schedule entry so I would have expected it to be able to handle this sort of thing. Instead I had to wait until the afternoon repeat to see the second half of the race.

I have no idea whether this was this the fault of the box, the EPG entries or whether it is a fundamental issue with the way the EPG is managed that means this sort of thing can never be handled. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member
    Badvok wrote: »
    Does anyone have a Freesat+ box that actually handled recording all of Sunday morning's F1 fiasco? (Fantastic final result though :) Go Alonso!)

Mainly due to rain on the freshly laid track the race was both delayed and interrupted. So the original schedule of BBC 1 6:00am - 9:15am was revised to be BBC 1 until 9:30am and then switch over to BBC 2 until 10:30am.

My Foxsat HDR recorded only the BBC 1 bit from 6:00am to 9:30am. The recording is a series linked schedule entry so I would have expected it to be able to handle this sort of thing. Instead I had to wait until the afternoon repeat to see the second half of the race.

I have no idea whether this was this the fault of the box, the EPG entries or whether it is a fundamental issue with the way the EPG is managed that means this sort of thing can never be handled. Any ideas?

I don't know if the boxes, or the indeed the system, is capable of such an action - but regardless, it's pretty likely that the BBC made no such changes anyway.

My Sky+ box didn't do it either, so I reset it to record the afternoon version - I also impressed myself by starting playing it back from 82 minutes, and hit dead on lap 40 which is where it went off in the morning :D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Badvok wrote: »
    Series Linking does not cope with cross-channel switching. But it can be handled. Apparently Sky Sports does and my Topfield Freeview PVR picked up the original BBC1 coverage and the coverage which was switched to BBC2 - though that was done using an automated timer-generating keyword search rather than relying on Series Link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    ... that was done using an automated timer-generating keyword search rather than relying on Series Link.

CHEAT ! Use of "DIY" firmware extension.

It was great though to have the ability when I had a Topfield, shame no one else has followed this model to allow firmware extensions and even Topfield have dropped from later models - maybe YouView will allow such things, seems like its being placed as a more open platform.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Not so much DIY but DIBYUSINGSOMECLEVERUSERSWHOKNOWWHATTHEYAREDOING. ;)
  • Options
    carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My HDR certainly tried to cope.

The BBC were good in that they had updated the BBC2 schedule well ahead of the time at which it switched over (9:30). Looking at my recordings list, I had a 0m recording that started and ended at 9:30 on BBC2. The error message was "conflict with higher priority recording".

So it looks like it was close to working! It clearly didn't though, luckily I heard the box turn off and manually turned it back on and hit record.

One thing I did notice when I turned the box on to manually record it at 9:30 was that the schedule on BBC2 didn't appear to have rolled over - i.e. it was still showing the previous programme when you pressed 'i'. I suspect this may have had something to do with it.

To be honest, I don't really expect a PVR to be able to cope when a broadcaster moves a programme from one channel to another whilst it's airing - it's a pretty tricky thing to cope with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    carvell wrote: »
    My HDR certainly tried to cope.

The BBC were good in that they had updated the BBC2 schedule well ahead of the time at which it switched over (9:30). Looking at my recordings list, I had a 0m recording that started and ended at 9:30 on BBC2. The error message was "conflict with higher priority recording".

So it looks like it was close to working! It clearly didn't though, luckily I heard the box turn off and manually turned it back on and hit record.

One thing I did notice when I turned the box on to manually record it at 9:30 was that the schedule on BBC2 didn't appear to have rolled over - i.e. it was still showing the previous programme when you pressed 'i'. I suspect this may have had something to do with it.

To be honest, I don't really expect a PVR to be able to cope when a broadcaster moves a programme from one channel to another whilst it's airing - it's a pretty tricky thing to cope with.
    I disagree, it's a simple thing to code (assuming the CRID is updated). I am not clear if the problem lies with the Freesat spec or Humax's implementation but it's not a complicated thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I disagree, it's a simple thing to code (assuming the CRID is updated). I am not clear if the problem lies with the Freesat spec or Humax's implementation but it's not a complicated thing to do.

It failed on my HDR and on Sky HD too. Luckily i was able to view the "missing" laps on Red Button - I wasn't around during the day to record the repeat. I agree that it would be a great feature to have on both platforms.
  • Options
    Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    The HDR cannot cope with a channel change even when it's a week away. The first two episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures began on BBC2 because of the Commonwealth Games. The next week TSJA was back in its usual slot on BBC1, but the series linked timer did not see this change and so I had to delete it and set up a new one.

However, the idiotic system is quite capable of setting up a scheduled timer for the first episode of The Big Silence on BBC Wales tomorrow night, when I have already recorded this episode last Friday on BBC2! Presumably, BBC Wales didn't show The Big Silence last Friday.

Back on topic, I was fortunate with the F1 race on Sunday as I was watching it live and thus able to follow it over to BBC2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    The HDR cannot cope with a channel change even when it's a week away. The first two episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures began on BBC2 because of the Commonwealth Games. The next week TSJA was back in its usual slot on BBC1, but the series linked timer did not see this change and so I had to delete it and set up a new one.

Isnt that because the TV companies give a different ID to the same program on different channels?

After all, the HDR can only record from the info given to it.
  • Options
    germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is a need to know about the change more than 15 minutes in advance? The reason I ask is recently I had a clash for Dragon's Den and I accepted the offer to record on BBC2 Northern Ireland on a later day. That worked, so the channel number on the EPG is not the deciding factor.
    My Series Link for the F1 yielded some oddities. Apart from the air being blue when the recording stopped, I did get the re-run recorded later in the day. No failed recordings but two differnt folders! One said Japanese GP, the other Italian!:confused: So I wound the afternoon recording forward to the appropriate time and sanity was restored!