Is ESPN as difficult to cancel as Setanta?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had Setanta previously, mainly for the football, and cancelling with them was a nightmare. I was curious about subscribing to ESPN, but again I would only need it for the football, really. I'm put off by the idea that cancelling when I don't need it would be almost impossible. What are the general experiences of people here?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EPSN subscriptions are handled by Sky, so it is the same as unsubscribing from movies or sports packages.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very easy- I'm subscribing at the moment.

The key difference is that Setanta ran their own subscriber management operation, where as ESPN is sold by Sky.
  • fackingspidersfackingspiders Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Very easy to do. I phoned a couple of weeks ago to give them my notice and they told me the service stops on 16th Jan. As said above, it's handled by Sky, so much better than Setanta (who took £6 off me about 4 days before going bust!!:eek:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that it was operated by Sky in a similar way to the other packages, that sounds so much better. I think I will take the plunge in the New Year. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I called Sky to cancel ESPN after seeing what football matches were coming up. The reason was 4 of the 5 matches that were coming up involved Liverpool so I thought there's no way I'm paying £10/Month to watch a club involved in a relegation struggle.

When the girl asked why I was cancelling I told her and said the channel should be renamed 'Scouse Git TV'. She laughed and promptly cancelled it for me.

To my surprise she never tried to talk me out of it or offer any 'deals'.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't need to call up to subscribe or un-subscribe. you can do it all via the sky website by accessing your account.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I called Sky to cancel ESPN after seeing what football matches were coming up. The reason was 4 of the 5 matches that were coming up involved Liverpool so I thought there's no way I'm paying £10/Month to watch a club involved in a relegation struggle.
    I'm surprised by that, my biggest criticism of the football on Sky etc has always been that they concentrate far to much on the teams at the top of the table to the detriment of the far more interesting race to avoid relegation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you don't need to call up to subscribe or un-subscribe. you can do it all via the sky website by accessing your account.

the website says if you want to drop a channel (unsubscribe to a stand alone channel or tv package), you have to call them. The forums on sky.com are full of angry subscribers who (quite rightly) say you can upgrade on the website but you have to phone them to downgrade. Some have been trying for weeks to get through!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I'm surprised by that, my biggest criticism of the football on Sky etc has always been that they concentrate far to much on the teams at the top of the table to the detriment of the far more interesting race to avoid relegation.

Sky move the goal posts (pardon the pun) when it suits. At the beginning of the season, they go to great lengths to show ALL the teams live on Sky, then concentrate on the top 6-8 teams. It's only towards the end of the season do they show matches from the bottom of the league.
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I don't know.'Sky' have had West Ham,Wolves,Wigan etc on quite a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HANHAM97 wrote: »
    I don't know.'Sky' have had West Ham,Wolves,Wigan etc on quite a bit.

Yes they have (which is a refreshing change)
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

Unless things have changed, you could never remove channels/packages from the website, just add new ones.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I e-mailed the help desk address on the Sky website telling them I wanted to cancel ESPN, received an e-mail back telling me that it was done. Also did this earlier in the year when I dropped the music / kids packages.