Options

The Sun - 30% price increase - how can they justify it?

grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
Forum Member
✭✭
So the cost of The Sun is up from 30p to 40p - a 33% rise. Jus how does The Sun justify this for a basically crappy newspaper? is it the start of them gathering funds to pay for News International illegals deals that hopefully they will be heavily fined and, in the case of their Editor and Owners, put in that place with bars over the windows.

Comments

• Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member

Have you seen the cost of barristers?
    Gotta get it back from somewhere. :D
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Their circulation is constantly falling. Also, given that The Times is a loss-making newspaper, and its circulation is also falling (more drastically so), I'd imagine Murdoch needs more money to subsidise it.

No doubt the compensation scheme is putting a dent in their profits, too.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    The Sun how can they justify it?

fixed.
  • Options
    TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time Rupert Murdoch justified anything?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't bought a newspaper in years. There's this thing called the web that makes them largely pointless :)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha, OP is complaining about something going up 10p?:confused: Really? Most things in the supermarket go up by more than that. If you dont read it what is the problem and if you do read it (like I do) then 10p is NOTHING. Inn fact it used to be 35p I believe. Remember it coming down in price a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I haven't bought a newspaper in years. There's this thing called the web that makes them largely pointless :)

*yawn*....Wondered how long it wold be before someone trotted this one out:rolleyes:
    Well guess what, some of us LIKE holding and reading a paper. Yes, amazing, isnt it.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    *yawn*....Wondered how long it wold be before someone trotted this one out:rolleyes:
    Well guess what, some of us LIKE holding and reading a paper. Yes, amazing, isnt it.

You could buy a Tablet PC and hold it up to your face, like a newspaper. :)
  • Options
    TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought The Sunday Times for the first time in years a couple of months ago, I thought, what a cumbersome media, I remembered how difficult it was to read practically, and what mess it caused all over the room.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

It's amazing that people like holding a newspaper, the flappy things and getting ink all over their fingers. I get loads of freebie newspapers and they go straight into the recycle bin. The only use I have for newspapers these days is when painting and decorating.

And even the TV. :eek:
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you seen the cost of barristers?
    Gotta get it back from somewhere. :D

PMSL :D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as you dismiss Andrue's assertion, it is right. News (including from The Sun at the moment) on the Internet for free vs 40p for a newspaper. No wonder Murdoch wants it all behind a paywall and detests the free (at the point of use) news content offered by the likes of the BBC and Google.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Well they have an 8 page Bizzare pullout today - that is where some of the 30% increase has gone, buying poor quality paparazi photos of the En-Ger-Land 'star' (loose use of the word) players all living it up on their holidays with their tarts / hangers-on / groupies / slags / wags (delete where appropriate)
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy don't buy it and not only will you save 40p but you'll also see an increase in your IQ.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if you find the extra 10p to be a life threatening amount of money you could always ask the newsagent to take off his 3p he gets and perhaps then the world might be saved and unicorns will once again walk upon the earth
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can they justify the increase, you ask? Well, News International may have a lot to answer for in serious matters such as phone hacking, but the company does not need to justify its pricing to you or anyone else. Like any other commercial product, the Sun is sold at a price which News International believes will make a profit while maintaining the majority of its customer base.
  • Options
    mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well the Sun hardly counts as a newspaper. You mean up you like holding and reading a comic
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman in my paper shop said she wouldn't have known it had gone up if it hadn't been on the front page of the Star.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people still buy newspapers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still cheaper than regular toilet paper though :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The biggies are over £1 for the daily version - so I guess this is cheap in comparison - but then I don't buy it or read it
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they justify selling that shit rag for even 1p.
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Templegate is worth the extra 10p alone. £
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great...That's another 10p I save
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Easy don't buy it and not only will you save 40p but you'll also see an increase in your IQ.

Simples really. :)

I remember an ex-boss of mine, who genuinely thought that when sales and therefore revenue were falling, the obvious answer was to increase the price of the product ,(yes, the product that was already not selling).

Amazingly this never worked and prices were reduced again. :rolleyes: