Star Trek: Enterprise

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't find another recent thread for Enterprise so I thought i'd start one.

I've been recording the show from CBS Action and watching it through from the start for the first time. I did catch a few episodes when it was shown on C4 but I wasn't impressed so didn't make the effort to pick up the random scheduling.

I'm just about at the end of season 1 now so I thought i'd share my thoughts.

- The pilot was pretty good.

- The next 7-8 episodes are awful.

- The remainder of the season is actually pretty watchable.

- The characters aren't as bad as I remembered. Archer is a bit of a damp squib but Trip and Malcolm are amusing. Hoshi just about stays on the right side of annoying/cute but Travis is beyond dull. I was worried that Phlox would be another Nelix but he's interesting enough. T'Pol obviously has her charms but hasn't developed much yet.

Anyone have any opinions on the show? I've seen bits and pieces of all the seasons (including the final few) so i'm not worried about spoilers.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even a hardcore trekkie but Enterprise is an abomination, putting aside the way it plays fast and loose with accepted canon (normally I'm not a stickler for that kind of stuff but I do think if you're going to make a program and claim its in "a universe" then you should stick to the rules/acepted canon of that universe.)

For me the worst thing and most unforgivavle thing is the use of the talentless, charisma vacum that is Scot Spatula... I actually have kitchen implements that can and do out act him.

Sorry, hated this show.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imo,

Seasons 1&2 poor, maybe only a handful of episodes I enjoyed.

Seasons 3 & 4 were decent and on occasion dangerously close to being pretty dammed good.

I found the cast pretty unlikeable throughout the show's whole run, but managed to get over it and on the whole I'm glad I did, something I can't say about Voyager.

So, ok overall due to seasons 3&4, but still nowhere near as great as ST, TNG & DS9.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch a fair amount of Star Trek but I don't take the continuity too seriously. I think there's enough holes within one series*, let alone comparing between them. Watching the new films I get a bit fed up with all the changes but then I think to myself, "this must be how original series fans felt about TNG for a while". I think that Enterprise actually tries to fill in some of the gaps (whilst obviously creating it's own).

I'm finding the show dull in parts due to the unimaginative scripts and poor characterization, however I still enjoy parts of the dialogue and I think it fits in well with the Star Trek ethos (something the films don't). There are clearly problems (I didn't like the whole crew smiling when they found out they weren't reasonable for destroying the colony in Shock Wave, sure it was a massive relief but it was still 3600 people dead) but nothing more than the first series of TNG.

*"What's that you say Wesley Crusher, The Klingons are part of the Federation?"
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched Enterprise on first showing (Sky One I think) - it's probably my least favourite of the series but I watched it all the way through so it couldn't have been that bad

I can't remember much of it now.........from the names mentioned earlier I don't remember Phlox or Malcolm or Travis............obviously it wasn't that memorable

At the time I did think they were recycling a lot of storylines from earlier series

And didn't they have loads of episodes of 'alternate universe' with Nazi types ?.............I know DS9 did that but I think maybe Enterprise did as well
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad Enterprise never happened and was just a holo novel of RIker's.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i loved Enterprise, shame it got cancelled when it was really getting good, although was not happy with the finale

I'm just glad Enterprise never happened and was just a holo novel of RIker's.

it did happen,he was viewing a recreation, it was an histrocial holoprogram

"First officer's personal log, stardate 47457.1. With the unexpected arrival of Admiral Pressman, my old CO, I find myself in an awkward position. Counselor Troi has suggested I might get a few insights by calling up an historic holoprogram."
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enterprise really is undated (unlike Voyager which really was crap). A lot of people were put off by the first few episodes but once it got going I thought it was consistently good, especially during the second and third seasons where they got some proper season-long arcs going.

But I will accept the finale was a huge disappointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i loved Enterprise, shame it got cancelled when it was really getting good, although was not happy with the finale

it did happen,he was viewing a recreation, it was an histrocial holoprogram

"First officer's personal log, stardate 47457.1. With the unexpected arrival of Admiral Pressman, my old CO, I find myself in an awkward position. Counselor Troi has suggested I might get a few insights by calling up an historic holoprogram."

Yes an historic holo novel.

It never happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Enterprise really is undated (unlike Voyager which really was crap). A lot of people were put off by the first few episodes but once it got going I thought it was consistently good, especially during the second and third seasons where they got some proper season-long arcs going.

But I will accept the finale was a huge disappointment.

They made the series too formulaic.

I was looking forward to seeing the setting up of the Federation from the start and watching the Enterprise explore the unknown.

Also they got the FX wrong compared to how the new Star Trek films have got it.

The new films look more like the Tech of old than Enterprise did for a time pre Kirk.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Yes an historic holo novel.

It never happened.
    You can keep telling yourself that if you like :p
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally really enjoyed Enterprise and it really got me interested in the universe.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    ..And didn't they have loads of episodes of 'alternate universe' with Nazi types ?.............I know DS9 did that but I think maybe Enterprise did as well

IIRC there was one double episode set in the Mirror Universe, one of my favourite episodes as it goes. DS9 had quite a few scattered over the seasons.
    Overall I preferred Enterprise to Voyager though it wasn't a patch on DS9 or TNG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 'Carbon Creek' (s02e02) yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend any trek fan that gave Enterprise a miss to go back and watch it. Like I said in the OP, the first 7-8 episodes after the pilot are absolutely dire (I mean really bad) but then it improves.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enterprise always reminds me of SGU in one respect.... it was mostly disliked at the time of airing but since its cancellation it gained a lot more acceptance & became much more appreciated.

I enjoyed it on the whole, it was probably my third fav Star trek series. I loved the long story arc & thought the script in general was very good.
    It had its problems nobody can deny, for me the worst part of it was T'pol & Trips relationship which was just boring & very out of character for T'pol.

Some episodes where awful such as the one where they time travel back on earth, some episodes where fantastic such as Similitude (Trips clone one) which was heartwrentching.

One thing I only found out afterwards:
    Trip wouldn't/didn't die if the series had been renewed, he was only meant to have been injured

One thing I did like about Enterprise was that they used it to clear up some of the mystery's that plagued other star trek series such as the Human looking Klingon's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moboloco wrote: »
    One thing I did like about Enterprise was that they used it to clear up some of the mystery's that plagued other star trek series such as the Human looking Klingon's.

If only that was true, but being Riker's holo novel means it never really happened that way.
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it again and loving it, probably my favorite trek show. Liking how CBS Action are replaying Star Trek seasons, watched the re-run of Voyager and really enjoyed that as well, especially as I only watched a few episodes on the initial broadcast and hated it!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I thought the problem with the first two series was that it was just to philosophical, karmic, tree hugging, moralising, pacifist etc.

season three they obviously realised this and made it much darker. notwithstanding this though i enjoyed all. and i genuinely look forward to watching it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only that was true, but being Riker's holo novel means it never really happened that way.

Ha ha - i'll accept that the final episode was a holo novel and live with the penultimate one being the last accepted cannon event.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol there is actually quite a lot of people that believe that.... well at least until some of the cast clarified.

I know not many enjoyed the last episode but for some reason to me it just feels nice that it payed homage to TNG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know not many enjoyed the last episode but for some reason to me it just feels nice that it payed homage to TNG.

Same here. Whilst I did enjoy Enterprise (seasons 3 & 4), I didn't feel so attached to it to feel the outrage expressed by some of the more dedicated fanbase. (But I do see their point)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    lol there is actually quite a lot of people that believe that.... well at least until some of the cast clarified.

The only problem was that the very obviously middle aged Riker was unlikely to have still been first officer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The only problem was that the very obviously middle aged Riker was unlikely to have still been first officer.

The TNG scenes with Riker and Troi were set during the 7th season episode The Pegasus.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Ha ha - i'll accept that the final episode was a holo novel and live with the penultimate one being the last accepted cannon event.

to me Demons & Terra Prime are the final 2 episodes

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Demons_(episode)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Terra_Prime_(episode)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enterprise always reminds me of SGU in one respect.... it was mostly disliked at the time of airing but since its cancellation it gained a lot more acceptance & became much more appreciated.
    <snip>

SGU did improve hugely but only because it had been cancelled and they no longer felt the need to be cautious.

enterprise on the other hand... was poor, it was badly acted, with dodgy dialog, formulaic stories (a fault it shares with much Trek TBF) and of course The Spatula, the man with one face.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched Minefield last night. I liked the premise but Malcolm seemed to take a character shift back to 'Victorian British stereotype" after seeming to mellow out with his friendship with Trip. Also the final scenes with the Shuttlecraft paneling was ridiculous. I'm not a scientist but i'm sure physics doesn't work like that!