Pick get the UK rights to Z Nation

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    the Season 1 DVD is already available to to preorder on amazon uk, release date 26th October
    Verence wrote: »
    Did anyone else catch the reference to The Walking Dead when Lt Hammond talked about "an ex-cop and a bunch of people holed up in a prison"??

no i missed that, nice nod to The Walking Dead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it and the refence to TWD was nice so we have an unoffical spin off that gives us an idea over what we're dealing with zombie wise.

The whole Camp Blue Sky attack now that was creepy, a whole herd wake up and attack after being washed down river, they almost seemed to be thinking fast moving walkers not your average groan and shuffle type.

Bummer about Hammond he could have least lasted until episode two or three rather than leave the rest to stagger on alone.

My only three issues with this show so far is where the hell do you get fuel from and damn they burn ammo like there's no tomorrow and no virus works this fast. Okay the fuel was left by the wiped out military at the pick up point I can live with that but surely by now bullets are running out and you either use spear, arrows or clubs or ensure only good shots have a gun and when they showed 'mercy' to Hammond they must have used two or three clips of ammo up wasteful. The virus should take more than seconds to work and how the hell did the baby move so fast. Apart from that not too bad.

Unlike TWD at least there is hope get Murphy to the West Coast make a cure save the human race unlike TWD where you live, someone eats a bit of you then your lurch around chewing on your former family and friends until you get shot, clubbed, burnt, run over or insert end here.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody remind me what night it's on again please?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it and the refence to TWD was nice so we have an unoffical spin off that gives us an idea over what we're dealing with zombie wise.

The whole Camp Blue Sky attack now that was creepy, a whole herd wake up and attack after being washed down river, they almost seemed to be thinking fast moving walkers not your average groan and shuffle type.

Bummer about Hammond he could have least lasted until episode two or three rather than leave the rest to stagger on alone.

My only three issues with this show so far is where the hell do you get fuel from and damn they burn ammo like there's no tomorrow and no virus works this fast. Okay the fuel was left by the wiped out military at the pick up point I can live with that but surely by now bullets are running out and you either use spear, arrows or clubs or ensure only good shots have a gun and when they showed 'mercy' to Hammond they must have used two or three clips of ammo up wasteful. The virus should take more than seconds to work and how the hell did the baby move so fast. Apart from that not too bad.

Unlike TWD at least there is hope get Murphy to the West Coast make a cure save the human race unlike TWD where you live, someone eats a bit of you then your lurch around chewing on your former family and friends until you get shot, clubbed, burnt, run over or insert end here.

It helps if you turn off your 'every day' brain and turn on your 'Sharknado' brain:D
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody remind me what night it's on again please?

Tuesday.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Tuesday.

Thanks.:)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... where the hell do you get fuel from ...
    You will be pleased to know that the summary for this week's episode includes a remark about exactly that problem!

As for the ammo, if you have a temporarily secure gate holding them back, you do the single shots at your captive audience until they effectively block those behind them. Or spray them with lead and not kill any at all...
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Tuesday.
    10pm tonight. :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah that staple of post-apocalypse fiction... the biker gang that survived
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, still enjoying it. Glad the dog survived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    10K refered to the horde of zombies at the refinery as "frakking Zs"... probably a reference to the all-purpose swearword from Battlestar Galactica
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just shows the massive financial muscle of Sky. They can now buy new US drama series to show on their re-run channels like Pick and Sky Two, and Z Nation is quiet good as well, similar standard of production to Dawn of the Dead movie remake back in 2004.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay point taken the world ended three years ago but the fuel keeps getting pumped fair enough.

I thought the fracking could also be a tongue in cheek reference to all the ongoing issues with gas fracking in the US as well as Battlestar.

But my ammo point still stands. I know tap to the head block access rest can't advance but after three years most sources will be running dry. Even with do it yourself reloads, if you have access to mercury fulminate and nitrocellulose, there's only so many rounds that can be made. Then your back on black powder which would foul automatic weapons (Colt 1911 would reseasonably okay and the M1 if cleaned reguarly but most 'modern' weapons would quickly become useless please see destoryermen series of books which covers this).

And yes I know turn off the brain and just enjoy but it's little things like this that tick away at the back of mind (at least the series Revoulution dealt with this properly and used springfield muzzel loaders as the modern rounds ran out)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay point taken the world ended three years ago but the fuel keeps getting pumped fair enough.

I thought the fracking could also be a tongue in cheek reference to all the ongoing issues with gas fracking in the US as well as Battlestar.

I suppose it could depend on how 10K spelt it in his own mind

Frakking = BSG

Fracking = Gas
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But my ammo point still stands. I know tap to the head block access rest can't advance but after three years most sources will be running dry. Even with do it yourself reloads, if you have access to mercury fulminate and nitrocellulose, there's only so many rounds that can be made. Then your back on black powder which would foul automatic weapons (Colt 1911 would reseasonably okay and the M1 if cleaned reguarly but most 'modern' weapons would quickly become useless please see destoryermen series of books which covers this).

And yes I know turn off the brain and just enjoy but it's little things like this that tick away at the back of mind (at least the series Revoulution dealt with this properly and used springfield muzzel loaders as the modern rounds ran out)

Yes, our group is being wasteful but I think people underestimate the amount of ammunition that is available.

From an article last year:
    The GAO report found that as of October 2013, DHS had about 159 million rounds -- enough to meet the training and operational needs of its firearm-carrying personnel for about 22 months, it said. The agency has more than 70,000 armed personnel, the most of any federal agency, according to the report.

The Department of Justice is second with 69,000 armed personnel. The DOJ reported its ammunition inventory as enough to last from 13 to 20 months. The report did not translate that to specific figures but provided other information that enabled it to calculate a range of about 90 million to about 138 million rounds.

Together, those two agencies represent 80 percent of federal armed personnel, and together they have roughly 250 million to 300 million rounds of ammunition on hand.

And that's just the US Dept of Justice and Homeland Security agencies.
    Add to that, various police forces and government agencies, National Guard and the multiple divisions of the Armed Forces. Then there's private stockpiles, gun shops and shooting ranges.

With Revolution I think ammo was scarce because a) a lot had been used in the early years and b) it has a limited shelf life. I think it's about 10 years before it becomes unreliable. If memory serves Rev was set about this long after the switch off.

With you on the fracking reference.

Anyway, caught up with this after letting the first two stack up. I quite like it. The zombie baby was ridiculous (as above^^^ how did it move so fast?) but funny. Though Hammond would've been the series 'Rick' but no. Kind of liked that they offed him early.
    A Walking Dead ref :)

Why didn't they just drive the fuel truck away? Hero: "Get out of here, I'm saving Mad Murphy."
    "Okay, no problem. I'll just leave the truck of fuel that we risked all to come and get. There's definitely not enough time to drive it away. But there is enough for you to have a 2 minute conversation with him before dragging him away."
    And then it explodes with all the force of a large firecracker.

Called the boomerang baseball bat as soon as she stuck it in the machine.

Phone Booth reference at the end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phone Booth reference at the end?

The Kiefer Sutherland/Colin Farell film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The Kiefer Sutherland/Colin Farell film?

Yeah.
    A random phone booth in the middle of an oil refinery? Had to be there for something.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Reading all the posts and just wanted to ask a question.

I am a massive Walking Dead fan - absolutely love it and haven't missed an episode.

Serious withdrawals and can't wait for the new series to start.

I'm not one of these who pulls shows apart - I watch for what it is and don't get too het up on technicalities or even continuity.

So my question is it worth watching Z Nation?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Definitely !

Like you I just let shows wash over me without too much thinking.......this has been terrifically enjoyable for the first 2 episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am a massive Walking Dead fan - absolutely love it and haven't missed an episode.

I'm not one of these who pulls shows apart - I watch for what it is and don't get too het up on technicalities or even continuity.

It's an Asylum project so it's a bit tongue-in-cheek. You can tell it's on a budget but they make (making) it work.
    But yes, after 2 episodes I'm sticking with it for the whole run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes :D

It's TWD with laughs.

It's very knowing, a tip of the hat to TWD last week. The obligatory homage to Romero with mention of the mall this week :D

But still has characters that while a little cliche are starting to 'flesh out' if you'll excuse the pun. We're not at I <3 10K yet in the same way we root for say Darryl in TWD, but its only week 2

(10K is a character. He's called 10K until he has killed that many Zombies. then he would like to be known as Jeff. for some reason I found that hilarious)

And this week at least tense!!! Way more tense than I find the average episode of TWD as much as I love it. There was a cute dog in peril:o

I think you'll know by the end of the pilot if you're going to like it or not :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought that too :)

I get what you're saying. For me Revolution S1 had too many incongruities and while it entertained, the fabulous, clean hair irked somewhat.

And other shows the illogicality & inaccuracy does impede enjoyment. Wayward pines is a perfect example. Ruined by a fundamentally flawed premise made worse by scientifically impossible and sociologically unfounded elements. So I do get where you are coming from.

But for me, in the case of Z-Nation because it is a 'Sharknado' type watch, very tongue in cheek, things like never ending ammo is just part of the silliness.

I did enjoy your post though - informative :)
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone.

Sky+d the first episode and then deleted it without bothering so will undelete tonight (thank goodness there's an option) although I've just checked and episode 1 & 2 are On Demand anyway.

I'll report back after I've watched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get what you're saying. For me Revolution S1 had too many incongruities and while it entertained, the fabulous, clean hair irked somewhat

The one thing you can be sure of in the apocalypse is that make-up, soap, shampoo and toothpaste will be available in abundance.

To quote Sgt Maj Sixta: "The grooming standard will be maintained."

Shame though, I was quite getting into Revolution when they decided to cancel it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing you can be sure of in the apocalypse is that make-up, soap, shampoo and toothpaste will be available in abundance.

To quote Sgt Maj Sixta: "The grooming standard will be maintained."

Shame though, I was quite getting into Revolution when they decided to cancel it.

The second series was so much better than the first. Script was tighter, acting better, direction pacier, humour funnier. Plot was still a bit.....holey. But at least Charlie looked dirty. Really dirty :D

There is a comic that ties up lose ends - I started reading it & it's OK. If you have a google I'm sure you find it. Otherwise I'll take a look back through threads I've posted on recently & see if I can find the link. Might have been the Wayward Pines thread.